Report: 2019 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hp/L tends to go down as engine size increases. Keep in mind that the formula for horsepower rewards RPM... so that a modest amount of torque at high RPM results in big horsepower numbers. Ford's not going to build a high-winding truck motor... it's just wrong for the application.

Look at the GM LS7... 505 hp out of a 7k RPM 427. The heads flow great, too, so even though it's a 2V motor instead of a 4V motor, I'd be REALLY surprised to see the truck-oriented Ford DOHC 427 break 500 hp by much. In other words, about 5 extra pounds of boost on the EB for the same result... why go through all the headaches of certifying a different engine for the application if more power is just a couple PSI away?

I don't even think it will happen, I'm just pointing out that a 7 liter DOHC engine wouldn't need a supercharger to make 500 at the wheels - which was the assertion I quoted.

That 600hp estimate is based purely on given data which is VERY conservative considering there are plenty of 500+rwhp NA Coyote's out there. Obviously there would be cam differences, probably better flowing heads, etc.

If an LS7 can make over 650 on pump
Gas with bolt on's then a DOHC 427 would easily best those numbers.

I don't care either way.

Last edited:

MustangAndRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cute that you think that sounds good.

Skip to 33 seconds to hear what a good V8 sounds like (also notice the seemingly silent car that follows the Speciale):

Annnndddddd you just proved my point lol you say that a TT V8 will sound worse than NA, that R8 in the video is NA. That's cool if you think that's the way a V8 should sound but I gotta say putting that in a truck is just wrong. Ford is still American right? (I get tons of compliments on the sound of the R8 so don't care if it's not up to your standards of what a V8 should sound like)

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI there are a lot of g2ers with og raptor experience and it is a significant improvement in factory trim off road. I took my g1 cousin off road (yes some g2s actually off road) in my 2017 and he loved it and he was looking at g2s after. As for off road reliability, ford did a full bitd season and the b1k in the new raptor. If there were any inherent design problems they would have/ did fix it. If anything does go wrong it will come from a defect or failure not from regular intended use.

Most of us didn't get it because it had a v6. We got it because that's what it was offered with and realized that it's an improvement (lighter, more powerful, better weight distribution). Many og owners asking if the g2ers have driven a g1 have themselves not driven a g2. The 2018 is definitely coming with the same engine so I'm good for at least 2 years. If there's an upgrade for 2019 I'll look into it. But I'm still skeptical because ford has a lot invested in the v6.

I've driven the gen 2 on and off-road, didn't do it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zizouandyuki

Reaction score
Annnndddddd you just proved my point lol you say that a TT V8 will sound worse than NA, that R8 in the video is NA. That's cool if you think that's the way a V8 should sound but I gotta say putting that in a truck is just wrong. Ford is still American right? (I get tons of compliments on the sound of the R8 so don't care if it's not up to your standards of what a V8 should sound like)

The TTV8 Audi sounds like a symphony of farts. I'm sure it's fast as hell, and I'd take one in a heartbeat. It just doesn't sound good. The Speciale on the other hand sounds spectacular, exotic, and ferocious. It's sound is distinctive and not just noise for the sake of noise.

No one is saying a truck should sound like the Ferrari - I'm certainly not. My point is that it's silly to hear everyone getting excited about a TTV8, which is going to sound worse than the outgoing V8 (which also doesn't sound particularly special to begin with).

I'm amused by everyone caring so much about the sound of the engine in this truck. It sounded mediocre before the Turbo, it sounds dull now, and it'll still sound dull w/ a TTV8.

NC Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Truckzor you're still here...posting in the Gen II section :lol2:

Right up until today, I have always maintained that you would never find me on the Jen 2 forum. I honestly don't even know where it is. But I think I'll make my way over there now so I can make sure to keep up on all the latest news as Ford gets ready to roll out the 7.0.

FOR ***** SAKE!!! Would BOTH of you SHUT THE **** UP!!!

All you two fickle little ***** do is fill every thread with countless pages of the same ********!!!

Like a damn bitter old married couple...

****!!!