Report: 2019 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It clearly is debatable. We are currently debating it.

I think a large displacement naturally aspirated V8 is the perfect engine for an off-road truck. Many of us were hoping Roush would build one out of the Boss (there was an 850 horsepower 460 prototype), but it never came to fruition. This new DOHC 7.0 is like a dream come true.

Would I have settled for a smaller displacement TTV8? Maybe, but that doesn't mean I think it's the ideal engine for an off-road truck. And I certainly wouldn't make those trade-offs for a weezy little motor with a measly 39 more horsepower, which, so far, is getting just 40 more horsepower with the 2JZ toonz.

You say that the N/A 7.0 would weigh more, but how much? Those turbos, manifolds, intercooler, and related plumbing all weigh something, right?

And why bother to argue that we don't know which engine has more potential and then say you agree there's no replacement for displacement?

PS - what's up with the ************ reference? Seriously. You Jennies are...

:supergay:
Just because you're debating it doesn't make it a reasonable position. There are those who claim (and will debate) that the earth is only 3000 years old. Is that debatable, too?

In any event, certainly the turbos, IC, and associated plumbing weighs something... but look at the size of the V6 long block. Are you honestly going to try to tell me that a V8 crank with a 427-compatible stroke (and counterweights to match) isn't going to eat up the bulk of that weight difference on its own? Plus the additional rods, plus the additional pistons, plus the additional length on 4(!) cams, plus the size of the heads for the entire length of the block, plus the additional two ports on the exhaust manifolds, plus the additional coolant in the block (that shit adds up, too)... you really think that all that extra shit will add less than 100 pounds over the weight of the entire HO EB V6 package (including turbos, etc...)? C'mon, dude... be realistic... and what do you get in exchange for that extra weight?

...and you can call 39 extra horsepower "wheezy" all you want... tell me that you wouldn't want that power in your current truck? We haven't even begun talking about the torque, either... could it be because you recognize that there's no way to get the torque number of the 6.2L to 510 ft/lb without either a cam swap (moving the torque curve up the RPM range) or going FI on the 6.2? As for the power coming out of the GenII tunes, remind me again how much there is to be gained on a GenI with only a tune? ON TOP of the 39 "wheezy" horsepower that the GenII motor makes over the 6.2L??

As for the "no replacement for displacement" comment, you didn't read my whole statement on that, did you? I said that in order for that to be true, and here's the important part, ALL other parameters must be equal. You know and I know that there's no way in hell that a factory NA V8 is going to be able to take 20+ pounds of boost. The HO EB V6 long block can. Easily. And it does. So, in that regard, we can see that all of those other parameters that I mentioned above are NOT equal between the two motors.

In regard to being :supergay: , you caught me... I'm all about you, you sexy, hulk of a man!! I just can't get enough of you...

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because you're debating it doesn't make it a reasonable position. There are those who claim (and will debate) that the earth is only 3000 years old. Is that debatable, too?

In any event, certainly the turbos, IC, and associated plumbing weighs something... but look at the size of the V6 long block. Are you honestly going to try to tell me that a V8 crank with a 427-compatible stroke (and counterweights to match) isn't going to eat up the bulk of that weight difference on its own? Plus the additional rods, plus the additional pistons, plus the additional length on 4(!) cams, plus the size of the heads for the entire length of the block, plus the additional two ports on the exhaust manifolds, plus the additional coolant in the block (that shit adds up, too)... you really think that all that extra shit will add less than 100 pounds over the weight of the entire HO EB V6 package (including turbos, etc...)? C'mon, dude... be realistic... and what do you get in exchange for that extra weight?

...and you can call 39 extra horsepower "wheezy" all you want... tell me that you wouldn't want that power in your current truck? We haven't even begun talking about the torque, either... could it be because you recognize that there's no way to get the torque number of the 6.2L to 510 ft/lb without either a cam swap (moving the torque curve up the RPM range) or going FI on the 6.2? As for the power coming out of the GenII tunes, remind me again how much there is to be gained on a GenI with only a tune? ON TOP of the 39 "wheezy" horsepower that the GenII motor makes over the 6.2L??

As for the "no replacement for displacement" comment, you didn't read my whole statement on that, did you? I said that in order for that to be true, and here's the important part, ALL other parameters must be equal. You know and I know that there's no way in hell that a factory NA V8 is going to be able to take 20+ pounds of boost. The HO EB V6 long block can. Easily. And it does. So, in that regard, we can see that all of those other parameters that I mentioned above are NOT equal between the two motors.

In regard to being :supergay: , you caught me... I'm all about you, you sexy, hulk of a man!! I just can't get enough of you...

All else being equal, the increase in weight from moving from a N/A 6 to an 8 would be less than 33%. I don't know what a N/A 3.5 weighs so I really can't say beyond that how much it would be. My guess is the N/A 7.0 would weigh a little more than the 3.5TT but I don't think it would be all that much. Certainly not enough to justify the lower output, additional complexity, and horrendous noise.

As for the rest of your post, let's just agree there is no replacement for displacement and leave it at that. Everything else is never equal but the rule remains true. The factory HO 3.5 EB is already running 20 psi, that's why it has such low potential to make any more (without getting more serious with the mods.)

Regarding your LBGTJ (Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transexual, Jenny) lifestyle, you do you, bro. Most of us don't have a problem with it. We just don't understand why you all feel the need to talk about it so much.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the comments at the above link. (emphasis / bold / underline is mine)

"TO CLEAR THINGS UP THE NEW ENGINE 7.X LITER IS NOT GOING IN THE F150. Windsor star got it wrong.I was at the ratification,and got clarification that it is not going in the f 150 . Only in the Super Duty trucks, fleet vehicles. And possibly RVs."

This is probably the singular informative post in this entire thread, so we'll all ignore it.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
This is probably the singular informative post in this entire thread, so we'll all ignore it.

J1 jerkers getting all hot and bothered about a freakin RV motor. Gawd that is pathetic hahaha :lol2:

zizouandyuki

Reaction score
Everyone here hoping for the TTV8 realizes that it's also going to sound like shit compared to a NA V8, yeah?

I also don't get the love for the sound of the previous generation. It sounds like an ordinary V8 truck. Not bad, but there's nothing unique about it.

I'm leaving this NA V8 for the TTV6. It's the way of the world, until everything is electric.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EI0mL-dshA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All else being equal, the increase in weight from moving from a N/A 6 to an 8 would be less than 33%. I don't know what a N/A 3.5 weighs so I really can't say beyond that how much it would be. My guess is the N/A 7.0 would weigh a little more than the 3.5TT but I don't think it would be all that much. Certainly not enough to justify the lower output, additional complexity, and horrendous noise.

As for the rest of your post, let's just agree there is no replacement for displacement and leave it at that. Everything else is never equal but the rule remains true. The factory HO 3.5 EB is already running 20 psi, that's why it has such low potential to make any more (without getting more serious with the mods.)

Regarding your LBGTJ (Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transexual, Jenny) lifestyle, you do you, bro. Most of us don't have a problem with it. We just don't understand why you all feel the need to talk about it so much.
That's the point, all else ISN'T equal between the 3.5L longblock and the DOHC 427 longblock... if it was, then the V8 displacement would be 4.67L. So, in order to make the displacement, the bore is going to have to be larger than the 3.5L EB bore, and the stroke is going to have to be longer than the 3.5L EB stroke... so we can therefore conclude that the 427 DOHC block will have to be longer (to accommodate the larger bore) and taller (to accommodate the longer stroke) than simply slapping two more cylinders to the 3.5L EB block. Therefore, the heads will also have to be bigger (wider/taller and longer) in order to cover the entire deck, and so on. See how this works?

As for "...let's just agree there is no replacement for displacement and leave it at that", no, that's NOT what we're going to do, because that's not the full story. Let's look at an example: one of Ford's legendary truck motors, the 300/6. Now, at 300 cubic inches (4.9L) of displacement, no one can argue that it isn't larger than the puny 3.5L EB, right? They're both 6 cylinders, and one of them has a definite displacement advantage, right? Are you honestly going to tell me that the 300/6 with a couple of turbos on it will make as much power (on pump fuel) and last as long as the HO 3.5L EB in the GenII? How about the version of the HO 3.5L EB in the new GT? Is the turbo'd 300/6 going to outpower and outlast the 600hp GT motor? I mean, with the displacement advantage, it shouldn't just make as much power as the HO 3.5L EB, it should make considerably more, right? I mean, if displacement is the only metric that we're going to use here...

Again, as for potential, I'm betting that it's less expensive to upgrade the turbos on the HO 3.5L EB to make 500+ rwhp than it would be to slap a blower on a V8 to get to the same power level. We already know that the longblock can take 30 psi, once the right turbos are in place...

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the point, all else ISN'T equal between the 3.5L longblock and the DOHC 427 longblock... if it was, then the V8 displacement would be 4.67L. So, in order to make the displacement, the bore is going to have to be larger than the 3.5L EB bore, and the stroke is going to have to be longer than the 3.5L EB stroke... so we can therefore conclude that the 427 DOHC block will have to be longer (to accommodate the larger bore) and taller (to accommodate the longer stroke) than simply slapping two more cylinders to the 3.5L EB block. Therefore, the heads will also have to be bigger (wider/taller and longer) in order to cover the entire deck, and so on. See how this works?

As for "...let's just agree there is no replacement for displacement and leave it at that", no, that's NOT what we're going to do, because that's not the full story. Let's look at an example: one of Ford's legendary truck motors, the 300/6. Now, at 300 cubic inches (4.9L) of displacement, no one can argue that it isn't larger than the puny 3.5L EB, right? They're both 6 cylinders, and one of them has a definite displacement advantage, right? Are you honestly going to tell me that the 300/6 with a couple of turbos on it will make as much power (on pump fuel) and last as long as the HO 3.5L EB in the GenII? How about the version of the HO 3.5L EB in the new GT? Is the turbo'd 300/6 going to outpower and outlast the 600hp GT motor? I mean, with the displacement advantage, it shouldn't just make as much power as the HO 3.5L EB, it should make considerably more, right? I mean, if displacement is the only metric that we're going to use here...

Again, as for potential, I'm betting that it's less expensive to upgrade the turbos on the HO 3.5L EB to make 500+ rwhp than it would be to slap a blower on a V8 to get to the same power level. We already know that the longblock can take 30 psi, once the right turbos are in place...

I agree with all your commentary on block, piston, and rod sizing. So let's agree it would take MORE than an additional 33% to get from a NA 3.5 V6 to a NA 7.0 V8. Fair? But by how much? Neither of us actually knows. And then when you factor in the additional weight of the TT setup, my view remains that, in the context of a 3 ton truck, the potential weight savings wouldn't be worth the significant trade offs (lower power, less reliability, less potential, horrendous sound, etc). What's your view again?

You're really going to drag a motor with a carb on it into this conversation? Come on man. You want to talk steam engines next?

When you factor in the additional purchase price, I don't believe the 3.5 will be cheaper to get to 500+RWHP. But we won't know for sure until one actually gets there, right? I'm sure many will fail trying. And what a pointless exercise. In the meantime, the smart money will be waiting for the 7.0.