Report: 2019 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
but is also way more complex than the 6.2 which makes me worry about long term and offroad reliability. I drive 10 miles a day tops unless I am heading out to the desert so mpg doesnt matter to me at all and I am happy to give up the mpg for a dumbed down V8 rather than a V6TT.

The old Raptors are available on used car lots everywhere so...

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Hey - I'm new around here (seriously). So did the first generation not have any issues?

The first generation 3.5 ecoboost was very problematic. Primary issue was that the intercooler was too efficient and created condensate buildup. Under boost, the condensate blew out spark and caused misfire and stutter. Very dangerous. Next, the engine had fuel dilution problems with fuel getting in the oil. Spark plugs last about 30k miles and are very sensitive to gap. The brake vaccum pump and brake booster were recall items (specifically ecoboost). Then you have the cold start rattle.... cam phasers eating themselves up. Just a mess of inherent design flaws. These were carried intothe gen 2 ecoboost.

The gen 1 Raptors with the 6.2 were problem free.

NewAgePhilosopher

Reaction score
I usually keep my trucks for 4-5 years so whatever is out on the market at that time will be what I buy. Yeah I'd rather have a TT V8 but I'm also not incessantly posting about how butthurt I am that Ford didn't release the Gen II with what I really wanted. I have no complaints about what it has in it.

Fair enough. I am 'butthurt' that Ford's asking for $70,000 without giving me a choice of engine. Most other brands asking that kind of cash give you a choice. Porsche Cayenne, V6 all the way to turbo-ed V8, check. BMW X5/X6, V6 to turbo-ed V8, check. Range Rover, V8 or V8 SC, check. Mercedes, GL/GLE/GLE, lots of engine options, check. You get the point right?

At least you admit you'd rather have a TTV8 in your Gen2. Or maybe even an NA V8 that performs better than the TTV6? Point that most of us Gen1-ers are making is that we're so used to that V8 hum in our Gen1s, that upgrading on everything but the engine just doesn't fit right for us.

And fortunately, many of us also have the luxury of owning more than one vehicle so waiting for a V8 Gen2 is also fine with us. Or me anyway.

FYI, I did test drive a fully optioned Gen2 out here in Dubai. Lots of power!! I got to push the pedal to the metal with the salesman in the passenger seat, and it was fun! The sound (yes, I know, the sound) was not as pleasant. It sounded more like my old Boxster S I6, but without the throaty exhaust. Like it was trying, but not there yet. Far from the mellow hum of my NA V8.

The steering wheel is a lot more plushy than my Gen1. Like a nice Lexus. Not sure how I feel about that but I'd get used to it. As for steering feel, I'm not a big fan of electronic steering, so I'd pass. I prefer more of a Lotus mechanical steering feel.

All the tech was fine - much of it not needed or probably wouldn't be used. The cabin is just WOW! Such a great improvement over Gen1.

All in all, I felt the Gen2 drive to be somewhat like a sports SUV.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I am 'butthurt' that Ford's asking for $70,000 without giving me a choice of engine. Most other brands asking that kind of cash give you a choice.
Really? Ferrari gives you a choice of engines in the LaFerrari? Lamborghini in the... **** it... anything? What about Bugatti? Koenigsegg? Okay, maybe not at those price points... let's step it down a bit... what about the Viper? The Corvette Z06? The Nissan GT-R? BMW in any of the ///M cars? Or even the "other" off-road oriented truck, the Power Wagon?

The long and short of it is that Ford DID upgrade the motor in the GenII vs. the GenI... it makes more horsepower and torque then either of the V8s that was offered in the GenI.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The long and short of it is that Ford DID upgrade the motor in the GenII vs. the GenI... it makes more horsepower and torque then either of the V8s that was offered in the GenI.

That's debatable. It makes a few more horsepower but is significantly more costly and less reliable. It also sounds like absolute dogshit. Easily one of the worst sounding engines ever made. It's that bad. And it has less potential.

This new N/A 7.0 is the perfect engine for the Raptor.

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it better be mid engine! cuz this thing no more weight up front! It'll land like a lawn dart.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
So....much....envy that they will not stop posting in the Gen II section. Damn I'm starting to actually feel bad for them. What a pitiful position to be in that they're compelled to post here.