Rebalance wheels after installing FP beadlock rings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlaynCA

Reaction score
Interesting, do the tires poke out beyond the fender flares? I currently have venom rex vr602s (1" wider rim) which made me end up with front splash guards. I'm hoping to ditch those splash guards as I've always thought they were ugly.

upload_2021-4-7_23-5-16.jpeg

The outside edge of the tire is about 1” farther out than with the beauty rings. The tires have always thrown some water down the side of the truck. They are what the truck was designed to run, I don’t see a need to add splash guards.

OP
OP
CHMP

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 165585

The outside edge of the tire is about 1” farther out than with the beauty rings. The tires have always thrown some water down the side of the truck. They are what the truck was designed to run, I don’t see a need to add splash guards.

Agreed, no splash guards it is. Honestly my favorite looking wheel on a Raptor, especially once you see them up close in person. I love the seamless transition from tire to beadlock lip, they look bigger than a 17" rim. Only thing that would look more sweet on these bad boys are 37s, but even with my Eibachs and Deaver+3s I don't think they'll clear properly? I'm sorry to say I don't do any heavy offroading, just some higher speed trail running, so maybe 37s would work?

Installing the true beadlock ring was simple but really tedious since you have to individually torque each bolt in sequence three separate times. Worth it of course.

20210407_121113~2.jpg

IMG_20210405_190719.jpg

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a paint marker and marked my tire on the inside with a dash that extended onto the clip on wheel weight. After taking them to the tire shop and getting the outer bead moved over the outer lip, loading into my car and man handling them around, the mark never separated.

The rings are completely concentric in shape so they're inherently balanced. So no need to rebalance when switching to the FP rings.

Last edited:

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought used bead locks wheels, had discount tire mount and balance my tires on the wheels with no rings. At home, I popped the outer bead and used motorcycle tire irons to move the tire to the outside of the bead. The rest was just following the Ford Perf ring mounting instructions. The tires remained in perfect balance.

Regarding handling, I don’t recall noticing a difference in handling on the road. Of note, track width will increase by about 1” and overall width of the truck at the outer walls of the tires is about 2” wider.
How hard was it to pop the bead? I just bought the rings...

PlaynCA

Reaction score
With the valve stem core removed, I put the wheel and tire on a piece of ply wood (to avoid scratching the back of the rim) and slid it under my car trailer. Then used a bottle Jack between the tire and bottom of the trailer with a plastic wedge between the rim and Jack (to keep from scratching the front of the rim). Popping the bead took less than a minute, with zero drama. I then pushed down hard on one side (need to get the tire to drop onto the grove within the rim) and used motorcycle tire irons and a little tire soap on the other side to slide the tire over the rim lip…also took less than a minute. So it was fast and easy for me with tools I had on hand.

Last edited:

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to retract my statement on my previous post.

After driving my truck around after the ring install I've found there is a very slight imbalance. It's likely due to the fact that the tires are balance with the weight of the stock beauty ring but the FP lock ring and extra bolts add extra weight so it's not in balance any more. It's definitely very slight as it isn't noticeable until about 80mph but regardless I've got an appointment tomorrow to get them rebalanced.

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, no splash guards it is. Honestly my favorite looking wheel on a Raptor, especially once you see them up close in person. I love the seamless transition from tire to beadlock lip, they look bigger than a 17" rim. Only thing that would look more sweet on these bad boys are 37s, but even with my Eibachs and Deaver+3s I don't think they'll clear properly? I'm sorry to say I don't do any heavy offroading, just some higher speed trail running, so maybe 37s would work?

Installing the true beadlock ring was simple but really tedious since you have to individually torque each bolt in sequence three separate times. Worth it of course.

View attachment 165587

View attachment 165588
That looks awesome! Did you use anti seize on the bolts?

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the valve stem core removed, I put the wheel and tire on a piece of ply wood (to avoid scratching the back of the rim) and slid it under my car trailer. Then used a bottle Jack between the tire and bottom of the trailer with a plastic wedge between the rim and Jack (to keep from scratching the front of the rim). Popping the bead took less than a minute, with zero drama. I then pushed down hard on one side (need to get the tire to drop onto the grove within the rim) and used motorcycle tire irons and a little tire soap on the other side to slide the tire over the rim lip…also took less than a minute. So it was fast and easy for me with tools I had on hand.
Nice! Im going for it...

OP
OP
CHMP

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks awesome! Did you use anti seize on the bolts?
Great question, I believe so since the rule of thumb is any metal on metal interface should use some kind of grease. I would have to double check with my buddy who did the work though, he's the expert.