Rear Bumper Side Step since no tailgate step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for some brainstorming from all of you with bad knees and backs etc. Since I was not lucky enough to get a tailgate step with my Raptor and purchasing one is a big number, used step assembly alone is $600 plus and then there is the tailgate. Good luck on finding one of those, there are a few for a used King Ranch listed for over $2k

So I am looking into what options are available, I have looked at Amp Research, Besttop and a few others that do not fold up. I would only consider one that folded up and if fabrication is involved that is not an issue. So if you have any suggestion oe links or pictures I would really appreciate it.

I know that Ford makes one for the front of the bed near the cab and this is something I would even consider mounting on the rear bed side near the bumper and modify it so it is tucked up and out of the way, Having to pull the step down would not be a issue at all

There is a tailgate mounted ladder that folds down on ebay for around $400. but it comes from China complete with Covid-19 and no instructions

Thanks in advance

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My BIL uses a short aluminum stepladder to get into his Super Duty. He folds it up and tosses it into the bed when he isn't using it. A milk crate could work if you can step up that high. As someone with a bad back myself, I don't trust the tailgate step, it's too narrow, it's a tall step, it's too close in to the the tailgate for coming down, and the hand hold doesn't feel very secure. I'd call it barely adequate so long as you aren't carrying anything. I don't use it. When I get to the point where I can't get in and out without help, I'm going to buy a stepladder.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
richnot

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did not see that one, I did see the one on eBay.
I had a removable stainless steel ladder on my last boat that telescoped down with 3 steps. The only key would be gabbing up a bracket for it to mount to. It I get a long enough ladder that makes ground contact the tailgate won’t take all of the weight until I’m on it. And you can get then with removable pins and store the ladder in the truck

0EFFA5B3-DF25-4752-AC88-3AF775E185EA.jpeg

Last edited: