Raptor vs F150 Platnium 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would give a brief write up for those considering a new half ton truck and looking at the Raptor versus the 150 Platnium.

I now own a 2014 Raptor - have driven it daily for 2 months and have 4.300 miles on it. My last 3 trucks (none of which I drove daily) were all 3/4 or 1 ton diesels (2 Ford and 1 GM). But I sold my toy box and race car trailer and no longer needed a big diesel truck to meet my needs.

So I began my search for the right truck for me going forward last October. I started with the Raptor as I loved the look. But local dealers wanted $10k to $20k over so it was $70K + and that was not going to work. I won't pay over sticker on principal. I have no issue with the dealers asking over sticker, it is their business to run so I don't begrudge them profits.

I drove the new Chevy 1500 with 5.3 L both stock and Z71 package. The Z71 package rides terrible and would need new shocks at a minimum. The stocker was ok but the 5.3L did not have enough power to keep me happy. So I decided to wait for the 6.2L. When those finally came out in January the engine was great and features were nice, but I could not order it the way I wanted - it was a compromise.

I headed off and drove the Tundra and the TRD Tundra. The TRD rode better than the stocker - TRD has done their homework and created a good shock package. But the Tundra, while cheaper, falls short on features.

I needed to service my daily driver (Porsche Panamera Turbo) and my brother lent me his F150 Platnium with Eco Boost motor - which I drove for a week (I drive about 150 miles per day). I liked it a lot in terms of features and ride quality (firm but compliant) and the motor on the road was great (I like a NA motor better around town). We talked about it and he told me he was going to buy a Raptor and he thought it rode even better but it would not fit in his garage with his Wife's car - too wide, so he got the Platnium.

So off I went to local Ford dealer to see for myself. Dealer told me we don't do test drives on Raptors. I convinced them I was ready to buy if the right truck. One test drive and I quickly realized that I wanted a Raptor and I was not settling on any aspect. So we had a "very short" conversation. I looked at window sticker and said what kind of deal can we work out. They said MSRP + $20k but maybe the Mgr. would go to $10k over if I acted right then. I thanked the saleman and left - I won't pay over sticker! I live in S. Cal and found most dealers were asking the same.

So I went on Ford's site and started looking up inventory of dealers, picking trucks with window stickers to my spec and sending emails (about 20 in all). I sat back and waited. In 20 minutes I had 8 responses. Called each - first 7 were $10k - $20k over - number 8 was "we don't sell over MSRP". We made deal over the phone and they delivered they truck to my house.

Now 2 months and 4,300 miles later I know I made the right decision for me. I love the truck.

But this weeke I am again driving the F150 Platnium of my brothers as the Raptor is in getting the bumpers and fender flair's painted. So I thought I would put up a quick comparison of some differences I have noticed.

The Raptor has a bigger stance and is higher so you see better in traffic. It has more comfortable front seats (added bolstering). It has more road noise (which I attribute to the tires and added height). The ride in the Raptor is great, better than the 150 and the handling is better as well.

The F150 has a firm but compliant ride. Very nice, only the Toyota TRD version is comparable of the other trucks I drove. The Eco Boost motor is very smooth and works well.

Gas milage - Raptor from day 1 to 4,300 - 12.0 mpg

F150 - Eco Boost Last 2,600 miles - 14.4 mpg

Daily drive (yesterday, 141 miles mostly freeway at 70-90 mph) - F150 - 14.7 mpg Same drive in the Raptor 12.2

RPM at 80 MPH - F150 - 2,000 - Raptor 2,300 +/-

So I attribut the variance in gas mileage to axel ratio, tire size and truck height. My guess is the 6.2 is not too much worse if all else was the same.

But the F150 Eco Boost set up stock vs stock does gets better mileage by 2.5 mpg +/-.

Overall both are nice trucks. But the Raptor is the real value.

Platnium - $53k MSRP (brother's 2013)
Raptor - $56k MSRP (my 2014)

Features you get in one but not the other:
Platinum - old sync system (only 160 Sirium channels) - neon lights in drink holders, power steps, Eco Boost

Raptor - new sync system (all sirius channels and better system), added bolstering in front seats, wider body, bead lock wheels, large off road tires, Fox remote resevior shocks all around, 6.2L NA motor,

So essentially you are geting better seats, wheels, tires, wider truck body, offroad shocks and springs and extended track with aluminum control arms all for about $3K - something you could never touch aftermarket. So that is a great value.

But if you are never going to use it the F150 with Eco Boost is a very nice daily driver option with better mpg!

For me the Raptor is the perfect blend of offroad potential and street refinement. I think, in spite of being $56k it is the best buy in the truck market today!

If you are on the fence go get one before they are gone and you have to wait for the next one (which we all hope Ford will make)!

Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I would give a brief write up for those considering a new half ton truck and looking at the Raptor versus the 150 Platnium.

I now own a 2014 Raptor - have driven it daily for 2 months and have 4.300 miles on it. My last 3 trucks (none of which I drove daily) were all 3/4 or 1 ton diesels (2 Ford and 1 GM). But I sold my toy box and race car trailer and no longer needed a big diesel truck to meet my needs.

So I began my search for the right truck for me going forward last October. I started with the Raptor as I loved the look. But local dealers wanted $10k to $20k over so it was $70K + and that was not going to work. I won't pay over sticker on principal. I have no issue with the dealers asking over sticker, it is their business to run so I don't begrudge them profits.

I drove the new Chevy 1500 with 5.3 L both stock and Z71 package. The Z71 package rides terrible and would need new shocks at a minimum. The stocker was ok but the 5.3L did not have enough power to keep me happy. So I decided to wait for the 6.2L. When those finally came out in January the engine was great and features were nice, but I could not order it the way I wanted - it was a compromise.

I headed off and drove the Tundra and the TRD Tundra. The TRD rode better than the stocker - TRD has done their homework and created a good shock package. But the Tundra, while cheaper, falls short on features.

I needed to service my daily driver (Porsche Panamera Turbo) and my brother lent me his F150 Platnium with Eco Boost motor - which I drove for a week (I drive about 150 miles per day). I liked it a lot in terms of features and ride quality (firm but compliant) and the motor on the road was great (I like a NA motor better around town). We talked about it and he told me he was going to buy a Raptor and he thought it rode even better but it would not fit in his garage with his Wife's car - too wide, so he got the Platnium.

So off I went to local Ford dealer to see for myself. Dealer told me we don't do test drives on Raptors. I convinced them I was ready to buy if the right truck. One test drive and I quickly realized that I wanted a Raptor and I was not settling on any aspect. So we had a "very short" conversation. I looked at window sticker and said what kind of deal can we work out. They said MSRP + $20k but maybe the Mgr. would go to $10k over if I acted right then. I thanked the saleman and left - I won't pay over sticker! I live in S. Cal and found most dealers were asking the same.

So I went on Ford's site and started looking up inventory of dealers, picking trucks with window stickers to my spec and sending emails (about 20 in all). I sat back and waited. In 20 minutes I had 8 responses. Called each - first 7 were $10k - $20k over - number 8 was "we don't sell over MSRP". We made deal over the phone and they delivered they truck to my house.

Now 2 months and 4,300 miles later I know I made the right decision for me. I love the truck.

But this weeke I am again driving the F150 Platnium of my brothers as the Raptor is in getting the bumpers and fender flair's painted. So I thought I would put up a quick comparison of some differences I have noticed.

The Raptor has a bigger stance and is higher so you see better in traffic. It has more comfortable front seats (added bolstering). It has more road noise (which I attribute to the tires and added height). The ride in the Raptor is great, better than the 150 and the handling is better as well.

The F150 has a firm but compliant ride. Very nice, only the Toyota TRD version is comparable of the other trucks I drove. The Eco Boost motor is very smooth and works well.

Gas milage - Raptor from day 1 to 4,300 - 12.0 mpg

F150 - Eco Boost Last 2,600 miles - 14.4 mpg

Daily drive (yesterday, 141 miles mostly freeway at 70-90 mph) - F150 - 14.7 mpg Same drive in the Raptor 12.2

RPM at 80 MPH - F150 - 2,000 - Raptor 2,300 +/-

So I attribut the variance in gas mileage to axel ratio, tire size and truck height. My guess is the 6.2 is not too much worse if all else was the same.

But the F150 Eco Boost set up stock vs stock does gets better mileage by 2.5 mpg +/-.

Overall both are nice trucks. But the Raptor is the real value.

Platnium - $53k MSRP (brother's 2013)
Raptor - $56k MSRP (my 2014)

Features you get in one but not the other:
Platinum - old sync system (only 160 Sirium channels) - neon lights in drink holders, power steering wheel adjustment, power steps, Eco Boost

Raptor - new sync system (all sirius channels and better system), added bolstering in front seats, wider body, bead lock wheels, large off road tires, FOX shocks all around, 6.2L NA motor,

So essentially you are geting better seats, wheels, tires, wider truck body, offroad shocks and springs and extended track with aluminum control arms all for about $3K - something you could never touch aftermarket. So that is a great value.

But if you are never going to use it the F150 with Eco Boost is a very nice daily driver option with better mpg!

For me the Raptor is the perfect blend of offroad potential and street refinement. I think, in spite of being $56k it is the best buy in the truck market today!

If you are on the fence go get one before they are gone and you have to wait for the next one (which we all hope Ford will make)!

Fixed, Great write up either way!

D

Deleted member 12951

Funny $20k over but what a deal for only $10k over, like they make you feel special. Glad you found a better deal.

One thing to note, on the Raptor you had to pay MSRP. On the Platinum, your brother should of been able to get that below $50k so in comparison it actually is more than $3k difference. Plus you need to consider resale. Figure out what that Platinum will be worth in 2 yrs vs. the Raptor. That is what did it for me.

OP
OP
Supercup

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny $20k over but what a deal for only $10k over, like they make you feel special. Glad you found a better deal.

One thing to note, on the Raptor you had to pay MSRP. On the Platinum, your brother should of been able to get that below $50k so in comparison it actually is more than $3k difference. Plus you need to consider resale. Figure out what that Platinum will be worth in 2 yrs vs. the Raptor. That is what did it for me.

Good point - my brother did get a better deal buying on the Ford Xplan. So the extras really cost $6,500 apples to apples for the typical buyer - so the value maybe not as much. But also agree currently re-sale would suggest that the depreciation will be much less on the Raptor. So we will get some of it back.

For those who don't know the Ford Xplan is the way to buy. If you owns 100 shares or more of Ford Stock for 6 months you can buy on the Ford X Plan, which has pricing close to dealer invoice. The dealer gets an additional allocation from Ford for any Xplan vehicle sold, so they don't mind making the deal.

I now own 100 shares of Ford stock - but did not own it long enough to qualify for the Raptor purchase - that would have been worth about $4,500 to me!

My brother just bought his wife an Expidition on the Xplan and it was $150 over dealer invoice - about a $6,000 savings on a $60k SUV.

D

Deleted member 12951

There is no plan, including X that can be used on the Raptor, just FYI

That platinum will be worth in the upper $30k's in 2 years, Raptor upper $40k's if not still around $50k

Last edited by a moderator:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only paid $51k for my Raptor new on order so it's less than both of those costs. It's a no brainer between the two and there is no comparison.

D

Deleted member 12951

I really wasn't trying compare what actual buyer cost was to the Raptor as that depends but on a Platinum it is common place to get quite a bit off MSRP with some haggling regardless who you are.

For the record, I paid $400 over invoice includes the admin fees. So of course there are deals out there when ordering and waiting, no debate there.

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good overview Supercup.

Now go back hit EDIT and fix your first post, WE ride on FOX 2.0s and not to disparage anyone otherwise but I would never go KINGs.

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good overview....

One correction.... Raptors do have power steering wheel adjustment not just on the Platinum.

Mad Max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One day I was just driving by the Ford Dealer and saw a new '13 white crew on the lot. Talked them down to $46,500 out the door...800A with only Beadlocks and Trailer Brake Controller. Do I miss the bigger nav screen, brighter headlights, and front/rear cameras...hell no! Less crap to eventually break that I wouldn't use anyway.

Besides, the 800A is SVT's "R" version of the Raptor :tongue: :popcorn:

Which by the way, would have complement my '93 Cobra R (#66/107) back in the day.

228358_1053581474199_7858560_n_zps06262ccd.jpg

Last edited: