GEN 2 Raptor Tunes- What's the deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So riddle me this. Why would FP sell a tune that's warranty friendly? Wouldn't the risk of grenading motors, and having to replace/repair them, outweigh the incremental income from the sales of the tunes? Just thinking out loud here.

What would you guess the increase in performance would look like? Much lower than what the other tuners will be releasing?

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comparing tunes to plug in boost controllers... Someone smarter than me better explains it, and disregard specific boost #s as it relates to another platform:

"The simple boost controllers (those that just plug into MAP/TMAP as the primary inputs) simply add boost and allow the factory DME to control everything else. There are certain thresholds where nothing nefarious is really happening other then fuel is being added to maintain whatever AFR is being targeted on a stock vehicle. When the boost increase gets past those "safety" thresholds though is where the knock sensor is going to come into play and the DME will retard timing to compensate. If the boost increase is minor enough there really is little to worry about other then the DME is constantly trying to correct values and playing catch-up which tends to lead to some hiccups in drivability from time to time. Of course the DME is super advanced so those adjustments happen very quickly. With everyone's butt perception being calibrated differently some may never notice the discrepancy where others may find it obtrusive. Without additional controls to other parameters you get into knock sensor territory at about 4.5 PSI over stock with the simple boost controller tunes. Of course fuel also has a bearing on the equation as well so with lower octane that number would be slightly less."

I've run a few different flavors of these plug in contollers on diff cars. While they do provide a great bang for the buck, i've always sought out the piggyback or flash tune shortly after for smoother/safer power delivery. So i do like their place in the market, but really comparing unlike things

Last edited:

allbizns

Reaction score
Not to add more confusion hahaha but not only is the truck running the same long block as the new GT ( Heads ,block crank rods) Which is also the same block crank and heads they run in the Ford GT Daytona prototype cars which make well over 800 hp. So reliability should not be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to add more confusion hahaha but not only is the truck running the same long block as the new GT ( Heads ,block crank rods) Which is also the same block crank and heads they run in the Ford GT Daytona prototype cars which make well over 800 hp. So reliability should not be an issue.

How do any of us know what parts are on the heads? I haven't even seen what parts are in the engine. You have any links to parts used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TMW!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do any of us know that parts are on the heads? I haven't even seen what parts are in the engine. You have any links to parts used?

This is what I want to know. Part number and spec comparisons of heads and cams

allbizns

Reaction score
I work in an industry that produces the 3.5 ecoboost race engines. They run the factory production casting blocks and heads. They have also run the factory cranks early on. Now mind you the rods , piston,and cams will all be custom race parts as well as the the custom ports we machine in the factory heads. My point is the base parts block, heads ,and crank are more than capable of handling big power. Of coarse I would reccomend replacing the rods and pistons at some point to keep reliability at bigger power levels.

OP
OP
T

TMW!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in an industry that produces the 3.5 ecoboost race engines. They run the factory production casting blocks and heads. They have also run the factory cranks early on. Now mind you the rods , piston,and cams will all be custom race parts as well as the the custom ports we machine in the factory heads. My point is the base parts block, heads ,and crank are more than capable of handling big power. Of coarse I would reccomend replacing the rods and pistons at some point to keep reliability at bigger power levels.

You work for Radical?

allbizns

Reaction score
As far as turning up the boost to 25 psi with some bigger turbos and making 600 hp I feel that shouldn't be a issue as long as you have a capable tuner that can get the fueling and timing correct to stay out of detonation.