GEN 1 Raptor towing a fifth wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh, to many what if's. Same could be said to most of the things we consider to be "acceptable" mods... most still illegal. Oh well. Have fun though.

Oh, and please be careful about making assumptions about others and basing your justification on that assumption.

No mater what I say or you, someone will always be their to disagree and have all the facts and experience to back it up. Gotta love the internets! ;-)

Rah!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No mater what I say or you, someone will always be their to disagree and have all the facts and experience to back it up. Gotta love the internets! ;-) Rah!

Well, I challenge anyone on the "internets" to disagree with what I posted and have facts to back it up. What I said is correct and you can take that shit to the bank.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to assume the liability of increasing the payload on any vehicle. In my business, we license or trucks and trailers for the maximum weight that they will be hauling. They are NEVER licensed for higher than the GVRW. First of all, you can't do it (legally) and second of all of your insurance company found out about it, they would freak out.

I think the reason that there is so much said about towing by members on here when the question is asked about towing higher than legal limits is that they are trying to keep other members out of trouble. Legally or physically. I see nothing wrong with that, and suggesting that a member does something other than recommended by the manufacturer is a dis-service to the OP.

The internet can be hilarious at times, but it is also a great tool to explore the ramifications of doing something wrong......

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I challenge anyone on the "internets" to disagree with what I posted and have facts to back it up. What I said is correct and you can take that shit to the bank.

My point exactly. Thank you for you input and have fun with your argument.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I've always thought the above device was kinda silly, it does make me ask one question. Aside from the legal GVW argument (I'm not advocating what I'm asking), what IS the max ACTUAL load the Raptor could tow if tongue weight wasn't a factor? Yeah yeah, I know it's 8,000 regardless, but ignore that for now. This is just out of curiosity.

Real world example (which I'm not going to do). Let's say you have a 6K toyhauler and slap a flat towed Jeep (4K pounds) behind it. You don't have extra tongue weight, but you are at 10K pounds. I'm not interested in the merits of this activity (again, I'm not gunna do it!). But what do you think it would handle?

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you feel about broken axels, or a transmission which drops its guts on the road. Mod away until you are comfortable. Just my opinion get a smaller trailer. Me and my wife had one, a 4000 pounder, towed fine with a load balancing hitch and was quite comfortable. BTW the trailer was for my wife same issue. Had to have a bathroom, fridge, hot water heater....