Raptor Too Wide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK I really don't know jack about 4WD vehicles but I'm getting into the game and considering the Raptor and Wranger. I'm partial to the Raptor but the auto reviews are saying the Raptor is too wide for narrow trails. I live in NorCal and am curious if anyone else in this area or otherwise has had many issues with the width of this vehicle? Is this a real issue?

I realize this depends on what kind of trails you like - but I don't really know what I like. Don't imagine I'll be doing really tight, rock crawling, kind of stuff though. If I can walk it faster than I can drive it, I'll walk it.

If you've seen the book, I'm reading "California Backroads" by Charles Wells and wondering, for example, how many of his "moderate" routes would be accessible with the Raptor?

What part of NorCal? I did a trail up in Auburn with Dave (Iceman302) and both of our trucks did fine, even though at times it was tight. I think overall you should go with the Raptor. Him and I are talking about meeting up again soon, and i also want to get out to the Reno area and do some open desert running.

Boostin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of NorCal? I did a trail up in Auburn with Dave (Iceman302) and both of our trucks did fine, even though at times it was tight. I think overall you should go with the Raptor. Him and I are talking about meeting up again soon, and i also want to get out to the Reno area and do some open desert running.

I just got my Raptor and am in the Bay Area. I would love to head to Reno for some high-speed fun!

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I haven't had any problem with width on any of Charles Wells "Moderate." I have even gone on some trails he considers "Difficult" without much of any problem. I have more of a issue with rear overhang and wheelbase but not anything out of this world. The Raptor will make it but not nearly as easily or quickly as a Jeep.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I just got my Raptor and am in the Bay Area. I would love to head to Reno for some high-speed fun!

Yall should send NVGuy a message - he showed me a few great places when I took mine for a tour down there last year.

As for width, I've never wheeled in NorCal but up here the trails in the Rockies are mostly made by Jeeps. I did a tour last year where I constantly had one side of tires running outside the Jeep tracks. It wasn't so bad in the dry stuff but going down the snow covered mountains there were a few pucker moments and one situation where I got hung up with a tree in the fender which required a chainsaw. Always go prepared...