Raptor Smartcap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Some additional pictures of the rooftop rack. IMO looks great.

platform-rack-sm.jpg

smartCap-roof-rails_1.jpg

20190921_171216_L-warranty.jpg

And those top racks are easy to unlatch and swing them down on the sides of the truck for easy accessibility.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some additional pictures of the rooftop rack. IMO looks great.

platform-rack-sm.jpg

smartCap-roof-rails_1.jpg

20190921_171216_L-warranty.jpg
Thanks for posting more pics! Although now you've made it harder for me to choose. I didnt realize there were rails on top which would make mounting a roof tent a piece of cake. Man now I'm really considering getting a top with internal mounting options

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I went tho the RSI website because your supposed to be able to build one to your specs but it only allows you to purchase one for your truck at a set price.

Not really sure what it comes with if anything, might just be the shell.

LorenzoValla

Reaction score
I've seen these on various sites and I'm curious about the appeal over just using a tent, cot, etc. For the same price you can get some very nice camping gear and use less space. Not knocking it, so don't get me wrong. Just wondering...

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this one too - not having the windows on the side enhances security which is a good thing IMO. Here are some pics with this canopy on the Raptor. I think these options look much better than the standard ARE tops.

https://www.rlddesignusa.com/p/ford/f-150-truck-cap-canopy/

EF2EEC2F-D69B-4770-B711-689E06A62AD7-2.jpg

IMG_6641-160x160.jpg 8D012B4D-D9C3-4B79-B738-72624A8C9920-160x160.jpg IMG_6645-160x160.jpg

RLD seems nice but I actually saw it down at Adventure Ready (where this picture was taken) and the problem is that the cap doesn't open and close right because of the tailgate design. Where other companies like Snugtop/ARE has fixed the rear window to contour the gate, this one doesnt and you have to use both hands to open both of them at the same time. I'd be more interested in it if it actually fit but until then, I'm feeling pretty good with my Snugtop Rebel.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
I've seen these on various sites and I'm curious about the appeal over just using a tent, cot, etc. For the same price you can get some very nice camping gear and use less space. Not knocking it, so don't get me wrong. Just wondering...

Not my list - but thought it summarized better than I could.

Pros of RTT:

• Comfort — the integrated mattress is better than any thermarest, and you are insulated from the sometimes cold or wet ground much better.

• Convenience — keeping all your sleeping kit stored in the tent is handy and gives more room elsewhere for stuff. Plus not having to re-stuff a sleeping bag every day is nice AND easier on the bag.

• Set Up — setting up an RTT is pretty fast. We can go from loaded/pulling into the campsite to sleeping in less than 5 minutes. We can sometimes do this with a ground tent but only at established sites with a tent pad, otherwise you can be looking around for a long time for a good patch of ground.

• Safety — being up off the ground feels a bit safer. A real hungry critter can get in, but it’s elevation means it’ll have to work at it, but even if it’s mostly placebo, feeling safer means better sleeps.

• Flexibility — you never need to worry about stones, roots, ant hills, etc. Which can make setting up a ground tent a challenge. As long as your rig is reasonably level, you can make camp. I’ve camped in some areas where a ground tent wouldn’t have been a good option (like near a river on stones) but the RTT worked great. We can also stay in RV parks if we need to — most RV parks may not allow Tenting but do allow RTTs because they are more like an RV. Some are balking at this but in our experience a lot of cities will have a convenient RV park and if part of your adventure is exploring a city this is handy. For example we did a trip to California and wanted to see Disneyland. Nearest camp space was over an hour away, but there was an RV park less than a mile from the Disney gates.
Cons:

• Cost — Dollar for dollar, a ground tent costing the same as a roof top tent will be overall a far better product, so ground tents are cheaper by a wide margin. For the cost of even a budget RTT you can get the best 3 season tents on the market.

• Weight - the lightest RTT I’m aware of on the market is still around 100 lbs. If you are in a Jeep, that is 13% of your payload just on your tent. Most are closer to 150 lbs.
RTTs are generally better for 4x4 touring for the reasons above — where every day is a new camp location. But if you are going out to run trails from a base camp, an RTT actually makes things harder unless it’s on a trailer. So a lot of it depends on your trip style — overlanding (different place each night) or camping (same spot out in the sticks for a few days).

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
I went tho the RSI website because your supposed to be able to build one to your specs but it only allows you to purchase one for your truck at a set price.

Not really sure what it comes with if anything, might just be the shell.

It looks like the Smart Components are sold separately on a separate page on their website.

LorenzoValla

Reaction score
Not my list - but thought it summarized better than I could.

Pros of RTT:

• Comfort — the integrated mattress is better than any thermarest, and you are insulated from the sometimes cold or wet ground much better.

• Convenience — keeping all your sleeping kit stored in the tent is handy and gives more room elsewhere for stuff. Plus not having to re-stuff a sleeping bag every day is nice AND easier on the bag.

• Set Up — setting up an RTT is pretty fast. We can go from loaded/pulling into the campsite to sleeping in less than 5 minutes. We can sometimes do this with a ground tent but only at established sites with a tent pad, otherwise you can be looking around for a long time for a good patch of ground.

• Safety — being up off the ground feels a bit safer. A real hungry critter can get in, but it’s elevation means it’ll have to work at it, but even if it’s mostly placebo, feeling safer means better sleeps.

• Flexibility — you never need to worry about stones, roots, ant hills, etc. Which can make setting up a ground tent a challenge. As long as your rig is reasonably level, you can make camp. I’ve camped in some areas where a ground tent wouldn’t have been a good option (like near a river on stones) but the RTT worked great. We can also stay in RV parks if we need to — most RV parks may not allow Tenting but do allow RTTs because they are more like an RV. Some are balking at this but in our experience a lot of cities will have a convenient RV park and if part of your adventure is exploring a city this is handy. For example we did a trip to California and wanted to see Disneyland. Nearest camp space was over an hour away, but there was an RV park less than a mile from the Disney gates.
Cons:

• Cost — Dollar for dollar, a ground tent costing the same as a roof top tent will be overall a far better product, so ground tents are cheaper by a wide margin. For the cost of even a budget RTT you can get the best 3 season tents on the market.

• Weight - the lightest RTT I’m aware of on the market is still around 100 lbs. If you are in a Jeep, that is 13% of your payload just on your tent. Most are closer to 150 lbs.
RTTs are generally better for 4x4 touring for the reasons above — where every day is a new camp location. But if you are going out to run trails from a base camp, an RTT actually makes things harder unless it’s on a trailer. So a lot of it depends on your trip style — overlanding (different place each night) or camping (same spot out in the sticks for a few days).

Thanks for the list. I would agree on the convenience factor but only in the context of setting up camp and not leaving it. I've had an RV (the kind you drive, not pull), so I know what it's like to stop and be camping while also feeling that you can't leave. It really does depend on what what you're looking for.

As for comfort, I'd have to disagree because there are some really nice cots that are very comfortable.

Anyway, not for me, but again, I'm not knocking it. It's great to have choices because we all do our thing differently. I always wanted to drive around the country during baseball season and hit each MLB park for a game. I figured camping would be a fun way to do it, and this kind of rig might be well-suited for that.