Raptor Run 6 - Anza-Borego DSP & Ocotillo Wells 11/26 & 27, 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Day after Thanksgiving we drove out to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park where we met up with Brian, Justin NorCal, and Justin SoCal. The four of us hammered the trails into submission on Saturday. And on Sunday we were three, me, Justin NorCal and Josh joined us. We had a great two days in the desert.

Josh has had his Raptor for over a year and it's hardly sniffed dirt and sand. When he and his passenger, Jason, showed up they were in a pristine ("******") white Raptor. I knew he'd get it dirty but we had to see he would take to the desert like we knew his truck could. At the end of the day Sunday Josh was a "convert" who finally was able to experience first-hand the joys of Raptor ownership. Welcome to "the Club" Josh!

Thanksgiving is the unofficial start to the desert season and the entire area is flooded with every type of motorhome, camper, RV, and vehicles of all kinds. Ocotillo Wells is very popular with groups of families and friends and you see many "wagon train circles" of RVs and motorhomes and toy hauler trailers is big circles where the little kids play safely inside and the adults gather at night around bonfires.

Meanwhile the dust clouds created by thousands of motorbikes, quads, side-by-sides (Rhinos, Polaris, etc.) make the area look like a Middle Eastern sandstorm has hit. It's Mad Max and the Road Warrior everywhere you look. In short, it's desert paradise for people who love to ride in the dirt and sand.

Friday Brian led the group all over around and through A-B and Ocotillo Wells. We ventured into the start of the southern area of the park. And on Saturday I led the other two Raptors followed me as we hit even more trails including a few we did on Friday. Some of these washes are in prime condition and they offer Raptor drivers the opportunity to see just how bold they want to be in their driving. With Off-Road mode on and TC off, whether you run in 2WD or 4-Hi, it's an opportunity to drive at speed and get your Raptor as close to sideways as you dare.

It's safe to say that A-B and Ocotillo Wells are as good as any place in the world for running a Raptor and it's why everyone who goes there enjoys it immensely. Perma-grins were on everyone's faces at the end of both days of driving.

I wasn't able to take many pictures - I'll post what I have including a few short videos of Justin NorCal and Josh terrorizing a wet Arroyo Salado wash we found in Ocotillo Wells. I know that Justin NorCal and Lindsay both took lots of great pics and videos (and we know how great Justin's videos are so I'm looking forward to seeing them when he's finshed editing them).

All I can say is you should have been there. Hopefully next time you will! :thumbsup:

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Had fun Dan!! Too bad I missed the camping on Friday night...I was looking forward to 30 degree temps and a sleeping bag ;)

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, it was great. We had a blazing fire and we were quite warm. You missed a great day of wheeling yesterday. We were all over the place - we did fast trails and technical stuff. I took the boys down the Slot and out through the canyon - good times.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I came down The Slot and took some pics

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

NorCal Justin in his blue Raptor

IMG_3389.jpg

Josh coming down The Slot

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

After The Slot we went to Slot Canyon which dead-ends for vehicles but people hike much further back

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

Later Saturday we ran out Arroyo Salado Wash and the guys terrorized some wet sand in that wash

IMG_3398.jpg

Chad drove down from Las Vegas in his diesel BMW - his Raptor is home all prettied up ready for its new owner and Chad is definitely waiting for his 2011 Raptor Super Crew 6.2. It was great having Chad with us and fun to have him as our passenger. We had a chance to talk about Raptor running the washes something we couldn't normally do while we're driving.

IMG_3399.jpg