Raptor Found Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife went out this morning to start the Raptor and it was dead. Here is the story as she told me over the phone:

She goes out to the truck and everything looks and sounds normal until she tried to start it. She turns the key and nothing but fast clicks and the "Theft" light is blinking rapidly. She breaks out the owners manual (she, like most chicks, can read) and it says to try the other key. Same deal with the other key. She calls the Ford dealer and they send a tow truck. The truck is in the garage, but the tow guy manages to get it in Neutral and roll it out into the street. He puts it in Park, does some tow-driver stuff, then returns to the truck. Now it's completely DEAD; no lights, no annoying door chime, and it will not shift out of Park. He gets some dollies under the rear tires, loads it on the flat bed and drives to the Ford dealer. At the dealership it starts and drives of the tow truck under it's own power, but now it's too late so they park it for the night. This morning the truck is dead again at the dealer. The service guy calls my wife and says, "Ma'am, whats wrong with the truck; it won't start." She says, "It won't start!" Service guy says, "Oh. OK, we'll get back to you." Very reassuring...

That's all I know about it because I'm out of town for a while (Iraq). Any ideas?

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im guessing a loose connection at the battery? bad cell in the battery? these trucks click when the battery is too drained to start.

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any aftermarket accessories plugged in to power outlets?

im guessing a loose connection at the battery? bad cell in the battery? these trucks click when the battery is too drained to start.

Nope. Just a plane 'ol 2010 Raptor with 7000 miles on it. Could be the battery though. The truck was built in September 2010 so the battery is at least that old and it spent a lot of time just sitting around not being charged. That, plus I drive it like a Raptor and I don't think the stock battery was built for real off-road duty. These trucks need an OPTIMA or some kind of supper good battery like that.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service guy calls my wife and says, "Ma'am, whats wrong with the truck; it won't start." She says, "It won't start!" Service guy says, "Oh. OK, we'll get back to you." Very reassuring...

That's all I know about it because I'm out of town for a while (Iraq). Any ideas?
Is he an Army mechanic?...they will order parts that may get there in time for you to put on when you redeploy to CONUS...ours suck anyway.

I like the loose/corroded battery cable idea.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I'd suspect the battery itself, loose cable or loose ground somewhere. The dealer will have a Rotunda battery tester that will tell them if the battery is bad. Which dealer did it go to, Peoria Ford?

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect the battery itself, loose cable or loose ground somewhere. The dealer will have a Rotunda battery tester that will tell them if the battery is bad. Which dealer did it go to, Peoria Ford?

It was the battery. According to the Service guy, it was completely gone, said it was probably bad when it was installed. No issue, they replaced it and all is well.

I take it to Sanderson Ford out in Glendale. It's a long drive, but worth it. They always treat me good and helped me out way above the call of duty with taking delivery of the Raptor. Even though they were making little, if anything, on the deal (bought it through Overseas Military Sales) they had no issue squaring me away. They even bought my '09 Ranger FX4 as a "trade in" 6 months before the Raptor was delivered! The first dealer I went to was the closest one to were I live, Sunset Ford. They were not interested one little bit in taking delivery of my truck or my "trade." Too bad for them because I spend plenty of cash on cars and car stuff and I dive right by them every time.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
It was the battery. According to the Service guy, it was completely gone, said it was probably bad when it was installed. No issue, they replaced it and all is well.

I take it to Sanderson Ford out in Glendale. It's a long drive, but worth it. They always treat me good and helped me out way above the call of duty with taking delivery of the Raptor. Even though they were making little, if anything, on the deal (bought it through Overseas Military Sales) they had no issue squaring me away. They even bought my '09 Ranger FX4 as a "trade in" 6 months before the Raptor was delivered! The first dealer I went to was the closest one to were I live, Sunset Ford. They were not interested one little bit in taking delivery of my truck or my "trade." Too bad for them because I spend plenty of cash on cars and car stuff and I dive right by them every time.

Good deal, glad to hear it was something simple. Sanderson has a pretty decent reputation and the owner and his son are big fans of the Raptor. Sunset Ford is now Peoria Ford. I wish I could say I had the same great experience as you when you picked up your Raptor (I also got mine through Military Sales).....I picked mine up at Camelback and they couldn't have given a shit less about mine.

OP
OP
AZ SVT

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, glad to hear it was something simple. Sanderson has a pretty decent reputation and the owner and his son are big fans of the Raptor. Sunset Ford is now Peoria Ford. I wish I could say I had the same great experience as you when you picked up your Raptor (I also got mine through Military Sales).....I picked mine up at Camelback and they couldn't have given a shit less about mine.

If Peoria Ford is a different operation than Sunset Ford I will take the location off my shit list. I hope Sunset went out of business due to being *****.

Bell Ford is another dealership I like. I bought a truck from them once and they were great, just too far from my house. Getting there and back can take half the day if the 101 or 17 is jammed. If you go there talk to Zak June, he is good dude and the service manager is retired military. I'm pretty sure he was an Army CSM.

Last edited: