Question about boost and EGTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BudTX

Reaction score
I currently drive a built CCSB Duramax that runs mid 12s. Two pieces of equipment that are critical in running a built and tuned turbo diesel are a pyrometer and a boost gauge. I added both to my truck early on. The EGT gauge was particularly critical even when I had a stock turbo. It kept me out of trouble while towing heavy, and helps the turbo avoid coking by letting me watch the EGTs before turning off the ignition.

Do stock raptors have some type of display that shows boost and EGTs? Is it even necessary with this vehicle? I know turbo diesels, but not turboed gasoline engines.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically outside of a race application an egt monitor is not necessary on a gas engine (and even then not really necessary). Due to the air/fuel mixture of gas it cools the cylinders faster more than diesel. You can run a little higher egt in gas application (1500-1800) due to the compression and when you let off the accelerator the power comes down quicker than diesel. And finally you're burning more efficiently than diesel. Just two totally different engines.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically outside of a race application an egt monitor is not necessary on a gas engine (and even then not really necessary). Due to the air/fuel mixture of gas it cools the cylinders faster more than diesel. You can run a little higher egt in gas application (1500-1800) due to the compression and when you let off the accelerator the power comes down quicker than diesel. And finally you're burning more efficiently than diesel. Just two totally different engines.

Lots of misinformation here. Gasoline has a higher LHV than diesel; its combustion produces higher temperatures. Gas engines normally run higher exhaust temps than diesel engines for this reason. Yes, the volume of gasoline in the cylinders does help to cool the combustion chamber, but so does diesel when under relatively high loads (running closer to stoich). This cooling effect is very small compared to the difference in combustion temperatures.

Gasoline engines are also LESS efficient than diesel. There is a higher energy content per mass in diesel fuel.

As stated in the comment before mine, the most important gauges for gas engines are boost and AFR.

RUFdriver

Reaction score
Old school solution. On our 930s we used an intercooler temp gauge, measures intake and outflow temps, displayed as a delta. When you have a big gradient, time to hammer it, if it drops back off the throttle.