Projects through 1st week of ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you give me a little more detail on how you installed the home link. All the ones I see include a large box behind the actual buttons and I am not sure how you install this?

Thanks in advance

X2! - Doesn't it need wiring run somewhere? Rolling Codes - No Rolling Codes - Did you cut apart an existing visor and remove this from it??? Details please...

Awesome Job!

2011-10-04_13-24-07_93.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a space in the visor. You just have to pull back the fabric and cut the plastic.

http://www.************.com/showthread.php?t=13814 That's from the z forum. I guess I can't post a direct link but if you search for visor over there, you will see the thread.

That thread pretty well covers it. My additional comments are that the plug was at least 6 inches up in the headliner so just keep pulling until it pops out.

The fabric over the sun visor is basicall just a sleeve that's sewn on the end and tucked in to the edge of the visor. It wasn't real clear to me what I was doing as I followed the directions for some reason but after I untucked all the fabric, it was obvious... So, take a putty knife or something pretty thin that won't cut the fabric, jam it in the slot on teh edge of the visor and twise just a little bit to pry it apart enough to get something in there to pull the fabric out. I used a jewelers screw driver. You can only pull out a little bit of the fabric at a time but it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to work it all out of there.

Once the fabric is all out, just cut one stitch and pull the thread out.

Slide the fabric over to reveal the plastic. Due to the mounting clip (which I could not figure out how to get off), you'll have to stretch the fabric a little to get access to all the areas you need to cut but don't worry, it won't get loose or saggy.

I just used a utility knife to trim out the plastic. It's soft. No need to dremel or let it sit in the sun to warm up like he suggested.

The trickiest part for me was routing the wires and snapping the module in. After wrestling with it for 20 minutes, I finally drank a beer so I could think more clearly. The wires that came with the homelink were really too short to be doing this with so I just used some new wire and routed it through, then connected it to the module.

I had to force the module in and proke a few tabs off of it in the process but it fit fine. It was still secure...

OP
OP
L

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2! - Doesn't it need wiring run somewhere? Rolling Codes - No Rolling Codes - Did you cut apart an existing visor and remove this from it??? Details please...

Awesome Job!

I ordered it from ebay. Search for Black Homelink and you will see several available for $30-ish. The one I got appeared to be brand new. Seller was marine.610 You could also pull it from an existing visor if you had a reason to go that route.

It works with rolling codes.

It wires into the vanity light on the mirror. The only thing I don't like is that the circuit is hot all of the time so if someone breaks your window, they could open your garage door when the car isn't turned on. I didn't realize that until after I wired it. If I get really bored one day, I may go back and try to find a switched power source for it.

I wasn't looking forward to this project but it turned out to not be all that bad. It's certainly better than paying $350 for a visor with it already installed.

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total cost for everything was $70...

Next up will be a bed liner of some sort (leaning towards Bedrug or Bedtred) and tonneau cover of some sort. Still on the fence about the Bakflip. It's a lot of money...

Stubby antennae $25 shipped.

2011-10-04_13-23-21_876.jpg

Fender well sprayed with Rust-o-leum Rubberized undercoating. 2 cans @ $7.50each.

2011-10-04_13-23-44_161.jpg

Homelink visor install. $30 shipped off of ebay.

Nice find on the visor, Ford wants some big money for those
:waytogo:

OP
OP
L

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, it wasn't the whole visor for $30, that was just for the module. I had to take the visor apart to install it...

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were putting in a spray in liner and they offered to do both wells for $100, I'd be all over that but since I'm not going the spray in route this time I didn't even bother calling around for quotes.

Having it done tomorrow. I am also having the bed sprayed and Weathertechs put in at the same time. They are using the LineX premium (no fading) I originally wanted the bed done in white to match the truck but this it turns out is very expensive to do because there is a lot of waste involved getting it to pure white and being white will mar pretty easy. Make sense to me. They are doing the premium. wheel wells, weathertech digitals for 975.00
:)

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having it done tomorrow. I am also having the bed sprayed and Weathertechs put in at the same time. They are using the LineX premium (no fading) I originally wanted the bed done in white to match the truck but this it turns out is very expensive to do because there is a lot of waste involved getting it to pure white and being white will mar pretty easy. Make sense to me. They are doing the premium. wheel wells, weathertech digitals for 975.00
:)
Wow... amazing deal. Aren't the weathertech's themselves like $300? I hope you like it.