Programmed a 2018 key fob to my 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Edwin

Edwin

Reaction score

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, just curious what a dealership or local locksmith charges to program this keys

OP
OP
Edwin

Edwin

Reaction score
Nice, just curious what a dealership or local locksmith charges to program this keys

Definitely don’t go to the dealer if you already have two programmed keys. You can do it yourself following this guide:
2. Place the first programmed key in the backup position
3. With left hand, Press Start\Stop button
4. Counted to three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
5. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
6. With right hand, swapped first programmed key with second programmed key (quickly)
7. With left hand, pressed Press Start\Stop button
8. Counted the three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
9. With right hand, swapped second programmed key with the un-programmed key (quickly)
10. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
11. Door locks cycled and dashboard light up and dashboard counsel stated “Key Programming Successful”

KDub

Reaction score
^What Edwin said. Don't go to the dealer to get it cut either. I did this exact same thing with my 2017, programmed it myself, then started calling around to see who could cut it. Dealer tried to say they would charge ~$180 for the cut and program, which then turned into $120 when I told them I had already programmed it, which is itself ridiculous for a 5 minute DIY job.

It did take me a few locksmiths to find one that could cut the key and when he scanned it to match with the manufacturer's # (in case I lost it and didn't have another to scan, he could just cut it from scratch based on the #) it didn't end up perfectly matching anything. I think this was one reason the other locksmiths got confused also but I just had this guy match cut my existing, which ended up working perfectly. I think he was still scratching his head about the scan but I got everything done and working anyway for about $40.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can program yourself with two working keys, I was under the impression you only had one working key and in that case you have to take it to a dealer or locksmith

OP
OP
Edwin

Edwin

Reaction score
I know you can program yourself with two working keys, I was under the impression you only had one working key and in that case you have to take it to a dealer or locksmith
I might be wrong but if you only have one key then I think you can use forscan to program a new key. Not sure though.

Viral Peas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought it from eBay, new OEM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-17-2018-2019-2020-FORD-F150-RAPTOR-REMOTE-START-SMART-KEY-FOB-164-R8185/114018420534?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I haven't gotten the key cut yet, i'm sure I can just go to a local locksmith and have them do it. They did it on my Subaru when my fob broke. If they can't for whatever reason it's not a big deal.

I thought the same thing about getting a replacement key cut until 2 days ago when I swapped out my exhaust. I learned that among other obvious things, the opening in the bumper to lower the spare is locked with the same key. Of course if run with your spare in the bed, then it's no big deal :)