Premium Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamb00j

Reaction score
I have done a full tank on both. With 93 it cost me $181 and I was able to get 17.8 mpg. I did 87 and it cost me $157 and I was able to average 16.1 mpg.

Cost wise, it’s cheaper to run 87 and take the hit on MPG as the savings with 87 will offset the decreased mpg.

Your truck will run on anything (87-93). But it’s good to see what it can and will do with your driving

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have done a full tank on both. With 93 it cost me $181 and I was able to get 17.8 mpg. I did 87 and it cost me $157 and I was able to average 16.1 mpg.

Cost wise, it’s cheaper to run 87 and take the hit on MPG as the savings with 87 will offset the decreased mpg.

Your truck will run on anything (87-93). But it’s good to see what it can and will do with your driving
So using your numbers a full tank of premium you would get 640 miles. Regular you would get 579 miles. To get to 640 miles with regular you would need about 4 more gallons. At 5.00 a gallon, 20 more bucks. Brings you to 177 bucks. For 4 bucks I'm running premium.

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So using your numbers a full tank of premium you would get 640 miles. Regular you would get 579 miles. To get to 640 miles with regular you would need about 4 more gallons. At 5.00 a gallon, 20 more bucks. Brings you to 177 bucks. For 4 bucks I'm running premium.
That was exactly my thinking. With the increased mpg the Premium basically pays for itself (or at least close to it).

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why would you spend an arguably stupid amount of money for a pickup truck and not put premium in. It’s a performance vehicle with super high compression AND boost, poor fuel is a bad combination.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you spend an arguably stupid amount of money for a pickup truck and not put premium in. It’s a performance vehicle with super high compression AND boost, poor fuel is a bad combination.
cuz we be broke now! LOL! ....I had been running regular fuel and have a good base line for milage and performance. I am half way through a tank of premium and my average milage has gone up about 2mpg but besides that the performance gain is defiantly NOTICABLE.

Some details I do know, these engines adjust to the type fuel they are running. Don't know how long this adjustment takes to settle in. 100 yards from the station? Half tank? Two or more tanks? ...don't know.

I also have non ethanol premium available locally. Not tried that yet. I will have to check price of what our local gas baron has chosen to penalize the public with for rates. This is the fuel I run in all small engines and my Honda CRF450RX (very high strung engine!). Another thing I know....ethanol has fewer BTU per gallon (lower milage per gal) plus adds extra cost to the fuel, attracts water and was one of the stupidest ideas shoved down our throats in decades.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have non ethanol premium available locally. Not tried that yet. I will have to check price of what our local gas baron has chosen to penalize the public with for rates. This is the fuel I run in all small engines and my Honda CRF450RX (very high strung engine!). Another thing I know....ethanol has fewer BTU per gallon (lower mileage per gal) plus adds extra cost to the fuel, attracts water and was one of the stupidest ideas shoved down our throats in decades.
Totally agree...

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course. I don't think I've ever put anything less than 93 in it.

lamb00j

Reaction score
87 where I am is 4.04 a gallon and 93 is 4.95. But when I tested it was 4.26

So the 3.78 gallons I need at $4.26 is $16.10

Meaning, gas mileage wise, it’s cheaper to use 87. If you save $10 for the same mileage (not saying it’s a lot or worth it) over the life of a vehicle it would equate to about $5200.

The idea wasn’t what one could afford but what someone was putting into it. If you all believe you can feel 15-17 more Hp in your ass Dyno of a 6000# truck, more power to you (literally) but would hardly think you will be able to feel it.

Plus it’s an $80K lol it’s not a hot rod or an exotic by any stretch. I hope this isn’t the most powerful vehicle you own or even your prized possession