Potential Gen 3 Infotainment and audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the information we got about the 2021 F150s, I'm curious to know what the people think of the new infotainment and audio changes, assuming they will be the same in the Raptor Gen 3 in 2022 or later. Will the changes eliminate the need for certain upgrades, or make them less feasible to achieve?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32969822/2021-f-150-infotainment-vs-chevy-gmc-ram-pickups/

I think the 12 in screen and sync 4 is going to mean that even fewer people will be interested in updated the headunit with something like the Phoenix Auto PX6 or a Linkswell. You won't gain any screen real estate, which I think was a big driver. It looks like the sync 4 will also provide many of the feature advantages you might get. The one thing you still won't get is the ability to heavily customize the interface, using any android app, and do certain things that will be locked out on sync 4 while driving, such typing or watching videos.

I do think this is going to drive people with older vehicles to look at the tablet headunit market a bit more though.

As far as the audio system goes, the Bang & Olufsen system now goes to 18 speakers, vs 11 for the 2020 F150. That apparently includes speakers in the headrest. Of course, no idea if there's an actual quality improvement here. Is it likely that the additional speakers means more components with tweeters, mids, and woofers separate up front? Will that mean more cost to upgrade all speakers? Will it be possible to upgrade headrest speakers, or will it make sense to just disconnect them? Assuming that NavTV will still be required.

Really curious to find out about these things. Would love to just go the a dealership and play around with it for a while, not even really doing a test drive.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am only really interested in the wireless carplay and wireless charging. While it's not a big deal to piug it in to use and charge, it's a bit 2014 to be honest. I THINK the wireless CarPlay would fix the annoying issue when I disconnect the phone, I need to use the screen to reconnect the phone to sync.

I like the 8 inch screen but wouldn't go out of my way to replace it.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope they decide to upgrade our Sync and add auto updates over the hotspot. It is crazy that the truck can't do that now. It should be a software update, no hardware should be needed. Updating with a thumb drive is so stupid.

With no more Scabs I have an instant classic, a limited edition. lol