PLEASE HELP Vibration Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_K

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I recently noticed that I am experiencing a slight vibration through my gear shift knob when I stop at traffic stops on my 2017 gen 2 raptor, though I don't think I notice the rpms dropping. I noticed that this vibration would get worse if I pump my brakes when stopped and I can feel my truck vibrating more. Additionally, I found that this also happens when I reverse my truck and I am turning my steering wheel I can feel my truck vibrating even more. I did notice that my baja designs SAE pods that I keep on most of the time started flickering as well when I put my truck in reverse and turn the steering wheel. Could it be because of the battery? I haven't replaced my battery ever since I got it in 2017. Otherwise, I also had the engine reprogramming recall done for the phasers I believe earlier this year but Im not sure that has anything to do with this. Please try and help me understand what is going on based on your experiences.

Thanks.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I recently noticed that I am experiencing a slight vibration through my gear shift knob when I stop at traffic stops on my 2017 gen 2 raptor, though I don't think I notice the rpms dropping. I noticed that this vibration would get worse if I pump my brakes when stopped and I can feel my truck vibrating more. Additionally, I found that this also happens when I reverse my truck and I am turning my steering wheel I can feel my truck vibrating even more. I did notice that my baja designs SAE pods that I keep on most of the time started flickering as well when I put my truck in reverse and turn the steering wheel. Could it be because of the battery? I haven't replaced my battery ever since I got it in 2017. Otherwise, I also had the engine reprogramming recall done for the phasers I believe earlier this year but Im not sure that has anything to do with this. Please try and help me understand what is going on based on your experiences.

Thanks.
We have the same exact problems but our RPMs drop. Subd to see what it is.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s easy enough to stop at a AutoZone or something to get a free battery/alternator test. That’s probably where I would start given the age of the battery.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never hear that battery can influence vibration , are you serious to suppose that ??? Of course battery is absolutly not the reason ... The vibration you discribe is often du to a broken engine mount...Or not...

OP
OP
V

V_K

Reaction score
Got the battery tested. It came out all good. I have a car charger splitter with a voltage reader so I plugged that in and I did notice that the voltage reads about 14.5 volts normally and when I drive it but lowers. I would say when my car shudders at a traffic light or turning my steering wheel while my truck is stopped in gear. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

wagner262

Reaction score
Two things are probably happening like others mentioned above. Your rpm’s are dropping or your engine/transmission mounts have some play in them. Putting in reverse already drops rpm’s slightly. If you are turning your wheel assuming you have big tires that puts even more load on the motor to keep the alternator charged up while your electronic steering gear is tuning the big tires. It wouldn’t take much rpm drop to experience this. That would be my guess without look at the truck. You could pull out one of your spark plugs to check gap and life of it. Could help a little but in my opinion it sounds like a non issue and completely normal.

OP
OP
V

V_K

Reaction score
I only have 22,000 miles in my truck never had this happen before sometimes the vibration gets worse. It’s bone stock. Dealer did engine reflash recall for cam phasers a few months ago but didn’t have any issues until recently. I’m going to take to the dealer and see what happens…….

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do believe there is a problem with some trucks experiencing a shudder after the flash for the cam phasers. Maybe this is what you have? If so, I'm pretty sure there is another flash to fix it (or they remove the previous flash).

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try changing the plugs. Mine idled much smoother with less vibration once I switched out my plugs to the colder ones from the 2.7L.