Plasti-Dipped The Rap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bike has been neglected and hadn't bought anything for it since I first built it, so dipped it a week ago. Electric Lime with 25g of Iguana Green Pearl added to the last half of the gallon. CAD drawn graphics and cut out on wife's Silhouette. Original color is factory charcoal/silver.

IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg
IMG_1610.jpg

That, sir, is bad ass!!! Nice job. Has plastic dip asked to post any of your pics yet? Dayum.......

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Thanks!

Nah, DYC hasn't asked for any of my pictures. My jobs came out pretty good, but don't hold a candle to their dips. Their dips come out freaking awesome, I highly recommend anyone going to the DYC forum and checking out some. Or just check out the examples they have on their main site:
Examples

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about blacking out the hood and roof, any tips? I've quite a bit of experience using just the cans and a plastic spray gun adaptor but that was for the bumpers and flares which need to be redone anyway.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
You planning on using rattle cans or going to buy it by the gallon?

Someone else on here said he used 4 cans for the roof, I'd guess 3-4 for hood. Overall a gallon may be cheaper. I was able to do my roof and fenders with 1 gallon.

Prep work is the key, as well as watching DYC on YouTube to get the proper distance and make sure the gun is setup correctly. Once that's done, it's almost foolproof.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about blacking out the hood and roof, any tips? I've quite a bit of experience using just the cans and a plastic spray gun adaptor but that was for the bumpers and flares which need to be redone anyway.

Order the whole car kit. It comes with a nice sprayer and a gallon or two of color dip. If you're just doing a hood and roof, the car kit is plenty. If you're going to do more, they have a truck kit too. The sprayer makes the job a lot smoother....

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah, debating between buying a gun system or just go with the cans. tell me about it, hours of prepwork, to paint in an less than an hour

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Order the whole car kit. It comes with a nice sprayer and a gallon or two of color dip. If you're just doing a hood and roof, the car kit is plenty. If you're going to do more, they have a truck kit too. The sprayer makes the job a lot smoother....

Right on, by all means best way to go! You could also get the motorcycle kit which comes with everything and only 1 gallon of dip.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah, debating between buying a gun system or just go with the cans. tell me about it, hours of prepwork, to paint in an less than an hour

Hours of prep work? Nah. Just plastic over the windshield and fenders and grill and get 'er done. Peel off whatever you don't want dip on. We did my kids whole car in less than 4 hours. Longest part is waiting between coats.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I clean and strip the paint, tape, mask, THEN PAINT. I like my projects to be clean.