Pictures and Review of 2011 Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since everyone else knew what I was talking about, I edited that part just for you. "Should have been a no brainer on the 2010 when the truck is 7" wider than standard" has now become "Should have been a no brainer on the 2010 when the truck is 7" wider than a standard F-150." The mirrors do stand out on the truck, by about 2" to 3". As such is why Ford added this feature. I've already use it backing one of the trucks up along side of a wall to make more space for parking other trucks and vehichles in the wash bay overnight.

I have not tested it on the Raptor, but if it's the same system on the Raptor that is on the Super Duty (Which I'm sure it is), The turn signal will disengage if accidentally engaged after 1 mile of travel.

Which brings me back to my point...

THE TRUCK IS NOT 7 INCHES WIDER THAN AN F150... the fenders are.

Let me explain again with an analogy...

we will pretend we have two identical twins... one overeats and weighs 250 lbs the other does not and weighs 180... one has a 42 inch waist the other 34... we will call the wider dude the raptor the narrower dude a king ranch... now here is the important part... they have an identical 6 foot arm-span from fingertip to fingertip...

Now they both stick their arms (the mirrors) straight out and try to walk through a doorway (tight spot on a trail/parking garage whatever) not going to make it through cause doorways are generally less than 6 feet wide... now if you fold in their mirrors, that is drop their arms, they can probably both fit through the doorway, but it might be a tighter fit for the husky dude...

So... the lanky guy actually gets a bigger advantage from his folding mirrors than the husky guy... same is true on the raptor...

Or if you still have not made the connection at this point... the cab and mirrors on a raptor is the same as on all other scab f-150s (other than tow package)... the widest part of the F150 or raptor is the mirrors not the fenders... width is the measurement of the widest part of the truck... so ALL F150s with non tow package mirrors are the SAME WIDTH.

Source of my info is the F150 brochure.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new 2011 looks um well...not what i was hoping for.

They seemed to have geared more for luxury than performance...WTF.

for instance, the folding side view mirrors, i personally could deal without and save some weight. Also, would have been nice to have a real manual/auto shifter to go through the gears...

I also agree, the new gauges i could have done without, i like the white sporty look.

I personally would have liked to see ford shave some weight...considering this truck weighs a LOT, and if it is a high speed desert pre-runner, why not gear it more towards that? its starting to look like an H2..more towards the non functional side...before you know it, we got rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, chrome handles and so on. If i wanted luxury, i would have bought a harley davidson or a platinum F150....but i didnt! i wanted an offroad truck, something that is more functional than your average lariat.

i can totally see where the frog man is going with his posts...its turning into a mall crawler rather than an offroad desert pre-runner.

performance guys...not bling! i could care less about what the super duty does...i didnt buy a super duty...i brought an SVT Raptor that is suppose to blast through desert terrain and go through the mountains, kick up mud and dirt, slow crawl up and down hills...going ass backwards with the original intent of this truck guys jus sayin.

imagine if they shaved 500 to 1000 pounds off the truck, then retuned the suspension for the weight loss without sacrificing what the truck originally came with. Please Ford do not ruin this truck like what GM did with Hummer LOL

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But seriously...its going in a totally different direction than what is needed for this truck...sales will drop if you do so, as it wont be any different than your normal F150, but worst on mileage and worst on offroad terrain. makes absolutely no sense.

4 doors, added garbage that is useless out doors (add more weight why???)...I was seriously thinking about trading it in for a 2011 model, i totally changed my mind! i even saved up 5K for this idea...and i rather put the 5K on my current truck and hurry up and pay it off so i can buy the new mustang, or just not buy anything and browse ETRADE some more lol

they came out with a great product initially...work off of what you got and improve. Nobody...i mean nobody will ever complain about increasing performance...but everybody will complain about some small luxurious feature, if it be side view mirrors, heated seats, heated steering wheel...or whatever the "upgrade" may be...but i have yet to hear anybody complain about a performance upgrade, ie, reduce weight, increase handling or power..shift points, drive-ability...

come out with different versions if you want to toss the "mall crawler" look or the "soccer mom" scene...like come out with a Raptor SE (soccer mom edition) and come out with a sport edition...upgraded brakes, none of the geeker panel displays, upgraded tires, lightened interior, added power, a REAL JACK TO CHANGE YOUR SPARE TIRE!!! oh wait, this is suppose to be an SVT Truck.... i could sit here and come up with a wish list for santa, but i doubt it would ever be

OP
OP
T

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
Jesse just said basically what I think of the new Super Crew, I just can't say it or I'll get a wedgy from my buddies on the SVT and Engineering Team at Ford lol.

The Raptor XT when it was first mentioned fit the bill to this PERFECTLY! True long travel, toll cage, added horse, shaved weight...... Oh wait! It's not legal for on-road use! I think some of the things I've seen by AIIRacing are things Ford should not only have as aftermarket parts, but maybe even options on the truck from the factory. Hell, you can upgrde suspension on the SVT GT500 to the SVT Performance Package. But on the Raptor you can choose better performance by shaving weight? How so? By not getting the sunroof? Hmmm......

And the REAL JACK comment, right there with ya.

But truth be told, this is the ultimate family/soccer truck ;)

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true...this still does blow away any other soccer mom mobile or family truck! I still don't see an H2 keeping up with the raptor screw. You are right..the XT fits the performance bill, but with a hefty check.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I applaud Ford for listening to what owners said they would like to see in the next Raptor. Dan started a thread last year on the Z forum and almost everything people said they would like to see on the 2011 Raptor made it to production!!! Are you kidding me?!?! Either that was a huge coincidence or there are people at Ford asking, listening and emplimenting what the customers want to see. Ford has done an excellent job in the last few years listening to the customer and building what people want, not what Ford thinks people should buy. Even though the majority of guys here don't need or want 'luxury' items in the Raptor we aren't the majority. They did something right...the initial orders were more than the 2010 SCab orders if I remember correctly??

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Give me the information screen, turn signals and the actual mirrors with the fisheye view in the corner.........and I'll keep my white face gauges and rest of the truck.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
The Raptor XT when it was first mentioned fit the bill to this PERFECTLY! True long travel, toll cage, added horse, shaved weight...... Oh wait! It's not legal for on-road use! I think some of the things I've seen by AIIRacing are things Ford should not only have as aftermarket parts, but maybe even options on the truck from the factory. Hell, you can upgrde suspension on the SVT GT500 to the SVT Performance Package. But on the Raptor you can choose better performance by shaving weight? How so? By not getting the sunroof? Hmmm......

And the REAL JACK comment, right there with ya.

But truth be told, this is the ultimate family/soccer truck ;)
1st off GREAT write up, looks like you spent a lot of time on. Thanks for doing that for us
Why wouldn't Ford make a deal with JD Fab, Camburg or H&M to carry there product's in the parts department of all Ford's? It could be done on an order basis so that each dealership can make a phone call and these shops can send out what ever the customer wants, they would have to sign a waiver of course.
Basically do what Dodge is doing with KORE.

1 other thing that I wanted to ask you about was the cage idea, we had looked at a F150 at the LA auto show last year and noticed that Ford has changed how they build the main structure, this paticular truck had the passenger side cut out so you could see the cab design, do you happen to have any pics of this truck?
It almost looked like you could slip a 1.75 tube between the main structure(roof) and the interior structure(above the headliner) allowing you to fully hide the b/c pillar cage meaning you couod still be able to put the stock headliner back in. Of course it would be tricky, but its an idea that came to me because of how Ford design the structure

The new 2011 looks um well...not what i was hoping for.

They seemed to have geared more for luxury than performance...WTF.

for instance, the folding side view mirrors, i personally could deal without and save some weight. Also, would have been nice to have a real manual/auto shifter to go through the gears...

I also agree, the new gauges i could have done without, i like the white sporty look..

imagine if they shaved 500 to 1000 pounds off the truck
Do you really need a navagation/radio/sync ect. No need for power mirror's, power seats, move able pedal's, dimming rear view mirror's, cute little tires for knob's, sunroof, rear window defroster's, leather seat's, I dont need my dash to tell me my wheels are turned 23 degree's to the right and off camber, ect on a truck. Taking all these unnecessary thing's off the truck will drop the weight dramatically as well as the price
Trucks today are getting way to technical, give me the basic's, and I'm happy.

Personally I can't stand white gauge clusters and love that they are black for 2011, but I understand why some are bothered by them making the change

Someone had mentioned the 50 XT's that are being built, last I had been told was that Ford is building them in house and still trying to assemble the builders, most of the guys are already on long term builds so Ford is trying to get the timing/schedule right with them