Painting skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivanhouston10

Reaction score
Hey everyone first time posting here. Got my 17 Raptor about 6 months ago. I color matched my bumper shadow black like the truck. Now the skid plate is still silver and I would like to paint that black as well. My question is how do I do it?
I wanna do this myself. What grit sandpaper do I use to prep it? I don't need it to be professionally done since it will probably get scratched , which is why I would like to do it myself. Also I get to save some money. Any help on the steps to getting this done would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lightly sanded mine with 400 Grit. Gleaned with Prep-Sol, then Alcohol. Used a good Primer/Paint that is a textured flat Black. I also pulled off the smaller plate, and just wrapped that with Matte Black 3M Wrap, since I figured it may be going on and off. Came out pretty good, and so far, holding up well. Here is a before and an after pic for reference.

Good luck with yours.

DC

2S.jpg

1S.jpg

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that came out great!

was thinking of using the vvivid indestructible wrap. it comes in black and has a bedliner texture to it.