Overheating brake issue on 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2012 Screw with 54k on it, at about 43k I had what seemed to be warped rotors. I took it in and the tech said he hadn’t seen rotors this heat damaged before, I don’t drive aggressively or beat the truck up at all. I replaced all 4 corners brake rotors and pads and was fine until recently, It’s seems that when I take the truck on a road trip (drove to Phoenix area from Colorado-which is what I had done the previous time as well) the calipers may be dragging causing the rotors to get hot and warp. Has anyone heard of this issue before?

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 17

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll bet that’s caliper dragging. Do you have an infrared temp sensor? you can take a short, and medium length drive and get a temp reading on the rotors to compare.

Don’t ignore it, I had one seize up on me years back. was on my way to work in my beater ’77 k5 blazer and within the first 2 miles I was like “damn, this is a lot of throttle for 60mph” I let off and immediately pulled right. HARD right. I thought to myself ‘this isn’t good’, was right next to a left U turn lane and took it. Turtled my way back about 30 mph - all in, I did maybe 2.5-3 miles.

I pull in and immediately smell burning. Get out and smoke is POURING from my right front wheel well. Caliper seized, rotor and pads destroyed. Glad I didn’t get any further.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2012.. has the brake fluid ever been bleed and changed? If not there is a good chance the fluid is contaminated and may have caused a piston in the caliper to get stuck. Or the whole caliper might be toast. You would think a tech would have noticed that when you had the rotors and pads done though.
Id start there.
54,000 miles means it sits around a lot.. Also not great for the calipers..lol

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did sit a lot due to I had a take home work vehicle and only drove the truck mainly on weekends. I’m going to take it in and see if it’s the calipers, Thanks for the reply.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Wow, that is some really bad heat damage. Your gas mileage had to suck and did it pull to one side or the other? Not clear if it was one wheel doing it or multiple.