Over Sand Vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jes.jr

Reaction score
Wife and I have been going to Cape Cod ORV beaches for 25 years. Race point and Sandy Neck mostly. I remember going as a kid in the back of my Dads 77 Landcruiser. Never taken any of my Raptors tho. Guess I'm just too OCD to leave the Raptor in a hotel or condo parking lot for the rest of the trip when we aren't on the beach. (we take the wife's truck, haha) Trails and beaches there are awesome tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Those beaches are awesome. I have a home in Chatham and will go up to Orleans Nauset - south end of the parking lot leads to vehicle only beaches between Orleans nd Chatham.
Thanks to all for the responses

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ran 10-12 lbs without beadlocks a lot and this provides much more flotation. Only popped a bead being dumb on hardpack at that pressure. Anything less and you definitely need beadlocks.

ericwudi0830

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJC,
I learned how to drive on the sand 50 years ago. You will almost never need to touch the brake pedal. Slowly depress the gas pedal; slowly ease off the gas pedal. Maintain momentum as much as you can. Letting air of the tires greatly increases the footprint in the sand and allows you to float up on the surface.
Gradually turn. Accelerate on flat areas well before you start to go up hill. Maintain speed up the inclines, be very careful if going over a dune as sometimes the drop on the other side may be significant. Try to follow others tracks in the sand; the already compacted sand makes it easier for your truck to move forward as the tires will find a bit less resistance.
FAT tires. I had a 55 Dodge PowerWagon with 38 x 15.5 x 16.5 tires...I never had to air down as the fat tires floated on the sand...even at 2 mph idle!
The taller the side wall the more the bulge when airing down...a 17 inch wheel with a 35" tire has a sidewall of 9 inches; a 20" wheel with a 35 inch tire has a sidewall of 7.5. The larger the sidewall the bigger the bulge....the lower the pressure the bigger the bulge also....
I've traveled miles and miles on the sand at 15 to 20 # air pressure with out any problems. The higher the speed you plan on using the higher the pressure to prevent popping a bead loose....or be careful and make gradual turns. I've traveled at 90 mph on the beaches in the winter...no one to complain....with 44# pressure. And traveled at the speed limit of 15 mph with 10 #...
Most importantly, carry a long handled shovel, and recovery rope, shackles, etc. When you bog down stop and assess the situation. You WILL eventually get stuck. Dig out the sand that has built up under the axles/frame, but try not to dig out under the tires. Instead try to make a gentle incline in the sand in front of the tires in the direction you will be going to extricate your self. Remember it is always easier to roll DOWN an incline. Coming off the beaches sometimes you may need to go uphill 10 to 20 feet in elevation. Gaining speed before you start up the incline ....sometimes a 1/4 mile or more will help you from bogging down...

Eddie

This is pretty informative. How long did it take you to get a hang of this?

jes.jr

Reaction score
Those beaches are awesome. I have a home in Chatham and will go up to Orleans Nauset - south end of the parking lot leads to vehicle only beaches between Orleans nd Chatham.
Thanks to all for the responses

Never been to that ORV beach. Do you have to be a resident or get a sticker? I had half a dozen first gen 80's Toyota pickups and 4Runners in my 20's, all w 33" tires and lifted of course. haha. Drove them all over those Cape Cod beaches. Hatches Harbor is prob one of the greatest beaches in the world.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ericwudi0830,
My friends father took us to the beach and taught us to drive a standard. I drove on the road for the first time 4 years later, after driving hundreds of miles on the beaches.
I never got stuck...until I got stuck the first, second, third, fourth, etc. Luckily I have always managed to get out; though a couple of times I did need help.
Every trip presents different challenges. I still am learning after thousands and thousands of miles of driving in sand....I have learned enough that I have helped hundreds of others out of the sand without getting my self stuck too...at least so far!
Think, plan, and be ready for the worst. Best to travel with others....no two people think the same, and sometimes another's input can make all the difference...and maybe they'll get stuck first! lol

Eddie

jes.jr

Reaction score
"Low and Slow" haha. That's what is says on the ranger station wall here. I've let my daughter sit on my lap and steer the truck driving slow on the dunes since she was about 4. I would bet the Raptor could do a lot more than the 5mph limit we have here. We air down our SUV's to 12 lbs psi.

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last trip i was out, ran about 12-15 PSI (but im on beadlocks) without getting stuck, bought a new bubba rope with the intent of knowing ill get stuck atleast once that weekend and need a tug, never needed it myself but towed others with it. Few of my friends got 22" wheels and little sidewalls on excursions, Super Duty's, and Hummers and will run low teens without blowing beads. Just don't do donuts or side hill if you're in the teens.

The Mud/Sand mode works pretty well..

i-dhjn7km-X3.jpg

Last edited:

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Low and Slow" haha. That's what is says on the ranger station wall here. I've let my daughter sit on my lap and steer the truck driving slow on the dunes since she was about 4. I would bet the Raptor could do a lot more than the 5mph limit we have here. We air down our SUV's to 12 lbs psi.

Low and Slow is for Rock Crawling, not sand :specialed: