Ongoing IWE issues. Just deal with it forever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Russ

Reaction score
The system is not “delicate”. The issue occurring in this video is the result of partial engagement due to a vacuum leak and has nothing to do with the torque capacity of the IWEs themselves. The fact that the dealer cannot repair a simple vacuum actuated system is pathetic.

Ford released TSB 20-2013 to assist dealers with diagnosing the exact issue you’re experiencing - an intermittent grinding noise from the front wheels while driving. It specifies model years 2013-2018, but the system on 2019 models is the same aside from a revised strategy in the calibration. The dealer cannot claim the TSB on the RO for warranty, but the diagnostics still apply.

The workshop manual also contains a pinpoint test for this exact issue. It’s pinpoint test F in section 308-07A. It’s very comprehensive and even includes photos of the procedures.

I would recommend contacting Ford corporate and advise them that your dealer has attempted to repair the concern 4 times without resolution. The customer relationship rep can reach out to other dealers in your area and find one that is willing to help. They typically know which dealers have high customer satisfaction and which to avoid. Often they can even schedule the appointment for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the great detailed response. I just dropped off the truck a few minutes ago. I'll follow up on this thread.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even folks that spend $300K on vehicles have issues - not sure any manufacturing process is perfect with any consumer product. what absolutely sucks is the dealer not being able to fix it. And to that end, some onus is on Ford to ensure dealers are capable. It's not just Ford, but this whole manufacture / dealer relationship pretty much sucks 80% of the time. It shouldn't be on the consumer to find a "good dealer" vs a "bad dealer".

I agree. It’s the sad reality of the franchised dealership model. Unlike other franchises that are tightly controlled by corporate (such as restaurant chains) dealerships are pretty much free to do whatever they want, often without consequences. Dealers also have very powerful lobbying groups, so any changes that manufacturers try to implement are often non-starters.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Lexus has the best car franchise business model. Two of brothers own Lexus models and refuse to purchase another brand because of the top notch customer experience. For example, a cracked dash was replaced on one SUV well after the warranty had expired.

OP
OP
R

Russ

Reaction score
I think Lexus has the best car franchise business model. Two of brothers own Lexus models and refuse to purchase another brand because of the top notch customer experience. For example, a cracked dash was replaced on one SUV well after the warranty had expired.

Yeah, Lexus and BMW are probably the best I've dealt with. For a non-luxury brand, Honda is really good.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That is because Toyota will throw money at it’s “Lexus” customers to keep them happy and continue to buy from them. They make a huge profit margin rebadging Toyotas as “luxury” vehicles, so they can afford to throw more money at customers. Toyota paid for the new dash, not the dealer.

Lincoln has excellent customer service as well and is ranked as one of the top brands for dealership experience.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so, take the Raptor to a Lincoln dealer?

;)

You could try. But the perks of buying a Lincoln (longer warranty, 24/7 Lincoln Concierge, free pickup & delivery, Lincoln loaner, car wash, additional manufacturer support for out of warranty repairs, etc) would still not be applicable.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try. But the perks of buying a Lincoln (longer warranty, 24/7 Lincoln Concierge, free pickup & delivery, Lincoln loaner, car wash, additional manufacturer support for out of warranty repairs, etc) would still not be applicable.

Hey, if they can and are willing to service the truck and do it while under warranty, why not give it a shot.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even folks that spend $300K on vehicles have issues - not sure any manufacturing process is perfect with any consumer product. what absolutely sucks is the dealer not being able to fix it. And to that end, some onus is on Ford to ensure dealers are capable. It's not just Ford, but this whole manufacture / dealer relationship pretty much sucks 80% of the time. It shouldn't be on the consumer to find a "good dealer" vs a "bad dealer".
This. It seems that Fords dealers suck ass at actually fixing these vehicles more than the vehicles themselves are the issue. Every issue with these trucks should and does have a proper procedure to address and fix them. Seems the majority of dealers that users on the forum use are either totally incompetent or just plain lazy.