GEN 1 Normal engine noise for the 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, since I’ve picked up the truck last summer it’s made this noise at idle. I don’t notice it while driving at all. From what I remember I don’t think it has gotten any worse in the last 14k I’ve put on it.

I’ve searched around, checked out some other sounds on YT but didn’t see anything similar. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

EDIT: There are also no CEL's being thrown, no visible leaks or anything else that seems amiss.

View attachment trim.CA8DDF32-0DE9-45B1-8D5B-19D56E446BB4.MOV

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine doesn't make any noise really, I have headers and stuff but i've never heard anything like that. Is it more prominent on the drivers side then the passenger side? Possibly an exhaust leak, it's so hard to tell with online video clips. You could try putting a long screwdriver on the valve covers to see if the sound transmit into your hand or on each of the drive accessories. Doesn't sound internal on the video. Maybe others have advice hopefully.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't make any noise really, I have headers and stuff but i've never heard anything like that. Is it more prominent on the drivers side then the passenger side? Possibly an exhaust leak, it's so hard to tell with online video clips. You could try putting a long screwdriver on the valve covers to see if the sound transmit into your hand or on each of the drive accessories. Doesn't sound internal on the video. Maybe others have advice hopefully.
Well that’s not good to hear. I really only notice it on the drivers side cause that’s where I’m at all the time. I’ll do a bit more investigation tonight.

After its first major service I was standing with a tech when it was making this noise but he didn’t seem overly concerned with it. So I kinda forgot about this.

I don’t notice it if the windows are up.

There’s also an annoying low rpm low load rattle in the exhaust I need to tackle.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worse thing to do is panic, it just might be a maintenance item that needs attention. I would try strapping your wife to the hood and see if the noise is present at highway speeds. If she screams then it is probably something to be concerned about.

Are you taking it to Ford or do you have a good garage you use? Not Canadian tire, lol.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worse thing to do is panic, it just might be a maintenance item that needs attention. I would try strapping your wife to the hood and see if the noise is present at highway speeds. If she screams then it is probably something to be concerned about.

Are you taking it to Ford or do you have a good garage you use? Not Canadian tire, lol.
I just take it to the dealer, I’ve tried a local shop with better rates and everything they worked on I brought back. I will never let Cdn tire work on anything except for tires.....and even then they messed up my beauty ring. However, I got a free set of tires out of it so can’t complain too much.

I would suggest buying a mechanic's stethoscope (not expensive and available at many auto parts and industrial supply stores) and using it to localize and identify the source of that sound.
Ya I think I got one, otherwise I’ll try out the screwdriver and bottle trick, that helped me find out which of my pulleys were off.