New guy with a wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jslattery

Reaction score
Great forum, lots of good info, thanks!

I installed some back up lights and used my up fitter #4 switch, worked perfect for a while then stopped working. Checked all the fuses and relays that I am aware of and all good. There is power behind the glove box but not under the hood, all the other up fitter wires remain working. just wondering if anyone knows where the blue #4 wire goes after leaving the glove box area, something happened to it from there on to the engine compartment.

Thanks,

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
morning..........

aux 4 is brown. the pass through wires can be used any way you like, but they go right through the firewall into the engine bay on the passenger side

OP
OP
J

Jslattery

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I have connected all the through wires, I used the blue one for number 4, it is attached to the brown supply wire behind the glove box. Something happened to the blue "through" wire as it no longer carries current through the fire wall. Sounds like they just go straight through, probably easier to replace it that find the fault. The other wierd thing was when it stopped working, I checked the connections in the engine compartment, when I closed the hood the lights started working again, briefly. I checked the conductivity of the blue through wire independently, it has none.

Thanks again!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome!

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I would check the ground itself, if you have grounded to one of the body bolts holding the fender or anywhere that has paint at all, take it loose and use a scotch bright pad to scuff the paint under the ground for a better connection. If you grounded it to the ground on the battery, try cleaning the terminal for a better ground. I would suspect a ground before condemning the pass through wires since you said it began working again when you closed the hood.

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check the continuity Of the pass through wire it's easy to do and it will tell you if the wire is bad between the glove box and the engine compartment. Also when you made the splice is it a solid connection? I always solder my wires I've had the crimp on connectors fail. Hope you get it figured out.