Near miss....pucker factor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LD50

Reaction score
So I've had my truck for just over a month now. I was heading in to work the other night which consists of about a 10 mile drive on the interstate. At the time I go in at night, traffic is usually pretty light but was a little heavier on this night. Like usual I set the cruise at the speed limit to get a little better mileage and just enjoy the ride in.

As I'm driving I barely pick up out of the corner of my eye some unusual movement in the headlights of the vehicles in the oncoming lane. By the time I focused in on the area, I noticed that I can barely see headlights in that area anymore and realize its from the giant dirt and debris cloud that got kicked up from the car that is now in the median. The car that is in the median hits the bottom, starts to roll, and keeps coming. I hit the brakes and head for the break down lane at the same time I turn the hazards on. The car rolls a couple more times, lands on its roof and hood as it slides down the road. It came to rest about 30 or 40 yards from where I stopped, dead center in the two lanes of traffic.

I ended up driving my truck down a steep embankment, through a ditch, then up a hill and parked it by a field about 30 yards off of the interstate. One person jumped out of the car and ran towards the ditch then sat there. I checked on him and he barely had any injuries. He did tell me that the driver was still in the car and that "he was drunk, but didn't mean to do anything wrong." By that time traffic was stopped and backed up. Myself and a couple of other guys went to check on the driver who was not so much in the vehicle. He was partially in it but mostly under it. It was a pretty gruesome scene that I'll just skip describing. He was still alive when they finally extracted him and loaded him up but it will definitely be a life changing incident for him.

I talked to some other guys who were close to the car that crashed. They said they estimated that he was doing over 100. He had also been passing vehicles in the breakdown lanes which was what he was doing when he lost control and went into the median. The distance from where the car went into the median to where it came to rest was somewhere from about 350 to 400 feet.

I guess it just goes to show a couple of things. The most obvious being how stupid drinking and driving is. Secondly, had I been in a hurry that night I probably wouldn't have had enough time to react and stop short and mostly likely would have been in a head on collision with the other car when it came out of the median.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Wow, glad you're safe. I had some idiot turn around on the freeway and start driving at me about a week ago. Same deal, I saw him sideways in the road a long way off and was able to slow way down and be ready for him when I got there.

He didn't mean to do anything wrong huh? Right...I guess now he's got the rest of his life to think about it and be reminded by the injuries he sustained (if they're as bad as I'm inferring).

I'm just glad he didn't hurt anyone else with his stupidity.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad your ok,hope he recovers and learns a lesson from it.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Wow. I'll just plain never understand how this actually happens. Really good to hear that only the drunk was injured, that seems like the rare outcome.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Wow Glad you made it through and didn't get rear ended!

Not always A drunk that comes at ya. I HATE I-35 between Dallas and Austin. Old school interstate. Narrow Center Median. 2 lanes either direction. Usually no center gaurd rail.

Rainnin, Heading south, driving in the fast lane in my FX4 doing about 60 -65. I see a guy comming on the on ramp in the oposite direction, north bound a few hundred yards ahead. Some small POS car. He enters the roadway and looses it and spins right at us. Traffic is fairly heavy. I check to my right and can just squeeze over. Just as I am strattlin the lanes the car hits the median which is just full of water and mud. SPLOOSH!

The car stopped with a thud in the mud and water and sent a tidal wave of mud and water and grass right at us. I basically drove straight through it. I glance back in the mirror and the car had stopped about 2 feet from the south bound lane just as I passed it. It would not have hit me but it was prolly real close. The car I cut off a tad pulled along side us and gave me a thumbs up. It looked like everyone behind us stopped because there was NO TRAFFIC behind us for 10 minutes. I did not see any crash but maybe someone flinched and didn't make it through. Don't know.

Stopped for a goke and the car I cut off followed us in. He pulled up and said, I was so pissed you cut me off untill we drove through the flying Mud. He said that was real close and I never saw it comming. We talked a bit then he left. We were all lucky that day.

Did I mention I HATE 35?

BDRAG

OP
OP
L

LD50

Reaction score
Part of me feels a little bad for the guy regardless of the situation. The rest of me is kind of like he got what he deserved for risking everyone's lives out there that night. One thing I am positive about is that I'm damn glad there wasn't an ignition source anywhere. There was gas pooled all over and he was soaked with it. The life flight helo wouldn't even take him because of the fumes. One guy that was there got sick from inhaling so much. I can't imagine what it would have been like just to stand by and have to watch and listen had the whole thing gone up in flames.

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really good to hear that only the drunk was injured, that seems like the rare outcome.

It's sad to say but that is the truth! They are usually the ones going home without a scratch while they seriously injured and/or killed someone else..

Glad you weren't involved in the crash!