My take on the Wavetrac Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
diffrent animal same principle
Nope, it is a completely different principle. A centrifugal clutch uses RPM to spin fly weights that engage at a certain speed. That is why they are used on chain saws. Below the set speed, the engine idles under no load. Rev it up, the clutch engages.

For the Wavetrac, take a look at those two green cams in the video posted. When the tire on one side is going a significantly different speed than the tire on the other side, those two cams drive against each other, locking up the differential.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, it is a completely different principle. A centrifugal clutch uses RPM to spin fly weights that engage at a certain speed. That is why they are used on chain saws. Below the set speed, the engine idles under no load. Rev it up, the clutch engages.

For the Wavetrac, take a look at those two green cams in the video posted. When the tire on one side is going a significantly different speed than the tire on the other side, those two cams drive against each other, locking up the differential.

OK they both use friction and velocity to engage I'm just a school boy in my own reality got a moose

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK they both use friction and velocity to engage I'm just a school boy in my own reality got a moose

Yeah Wilson, they are similar in function for sure. Wavetrac has just come up with a completely new design that happens to be very effective for our purposes in the Raptor Kingdom.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's pretty ingenious my self using all them gears to slow the force needed to supply drive

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

also I like understanding what I'm trying to learn and that is impossible if you don't ask questions for me any how

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and me both. When I saw this for the first time, I was intrigued, I then spent a bunch of time researching before I called Wavetrac and Drove them nuts with questions.

I think I still only understand half of what I would like to know.

I am trying to get Wavetrac and SVT to join us in this thread to bring there knowledge and experience to the table.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did they give you any idea on HP/TQ figures that this thing can stand up to?
We didn't get into specifics. However, (this is my opinion) I sincerely doubt you'll need to worry until your power numbers get up and over 4 digits. Without getting incredibly techie on ya, I personally have some concerns for the guys pushing huge power (well beyond the stock 6.2) and the Torsen. I don't have any such concerns with the Wavetrac. And in either case, I think we're going to see a weaker link or two emerge before either has an issue. Again, those are just my opinions and I have no data to back them up, so take that for what its worth.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

you the man
size matters I like the fact it is smaller the question is is it lighter?
I didn't weigh either, and as you can see the Torsen had the ring gear installed... but having said that maybe there's a few lbs difference? Neither stuck out to me as being significantly heavier or lighter than I expected or each other.
...Centrifugal clutch...
If you're talking about the Wavetrac, definitely not.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Very interesting design.
So this unit basically uses the helix of the planet gears to engage the center coupler with the carbon fiber "clutch" based on variances in differential speed?
If I understand what you're getting at, I'd feel comfortable saying yeah, you've got the concept nailed.

very very awesome info, sad there no Dealers/installers at all in the midwest. :baby:
So is Wavetrack selling these setups as complete assembled axle housings?? (Using 2012 housings?) I see this as the only possible way for a DIY'r to do this job 'in your driveway'... To do JUST the differential swap takes some understanding/experience and several specialty tools; case spreader, case spreader holder, dial indicator, micrometer, press.. etc.

This could be done, however it would be cost prohibitive. The statement that you could do it in your driveway would certainly only be for those who have the knowledge, experience and tools to do it right.

I think in most cases it would be best to have a local shop perform the work.
I asked and talked with Dana (one of the two big brains behind the genesis of this design; sincerely it was an honor to meet and talk with him as he's one VERY smart man) specifically about this, and he assured me that there is nothing special about the Wavetrac install over, say, a stock replacement installation. If you have the tools and knowhow to do a stock R&R, you can do a Wavetrac. I realize that excludes many folks, myself included, but the good news is any local competent shop can do the work for you. There is no special "Wavetrac knowledge" or skill set required.

I'm jealous.. This will be a ton better than 2012 torsen..

-Greg
I really think so too Greg. One thing I neglected to drive home in my first post is how active this design is. In my explanation, I covered the stuck-on-a-rock or stuck-in-the-sand scenario, but another area the Wavetrac will REALLY make a difference is when you're flying over the terrain... think about it; when you're doing 60 and you hit a small rock and that front kicks up a bit, you've basically lost traction on one side for a split second, right? The open diffs and even the Torsen will, basically give up for an instant because you've got one wheel who's resistance has gone (essentially) to zero, and you're in 2wd until you come back down and dig in again and that resistance goes back up above the Torsen's threshold.

With the Wavetrac, as that one tire lifts, more speed and power shifts to the side still digging keeping you more in control because you have more drive... take a second and picture how the thing is constantly millisecond by millisecond sending power to the wheel that's got traction, and not letting that wheel 'give up' and I think you can really start to see the power of the Wavetrac over the Torsen, and the huge power of both over an open diff.

You and me both. When I saw this for the first time, I was intrigued, I then spent a bunch of time researching before I called Wavetrac and Drove them nuts with questions.

I think I still only understand half of what I would like to know.

I am trying to get Wavetrac and SVT to join us in this thread to bring there knowledge and experience to the table.
Chris, Dana said many times how YOU are the reason this will be an option for us. We all owe ya a beer dude. Without your efforts, Wavetrac would probably not have got interested in what we're doing, and we would have missed out on a significant opportunity. Hats off to you Sir, and thanks! :peace:

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be done, however it would be cost prohibitive. The statement that you could do it in your driveway would certainly only be for those who have the knowledge, experience and tools to do it right.

I think in most cases it would be best to have a local shop perform the work.

Gotcha. I just read and found the "easy, driveway install" comments misleading, UNLESS these were coming as a complete unit, which I realize would be a significant increase in cost.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. I just read and found the "easy, driveway install" comments misleading, UNLESS these were coming as a complete unit, which I realize would be a significant increase in cost.
Ack, I hope I didn't mislead anyone. Just to reiterate what I said originally...

"In terms of install, if you've installed a diff before this will be no different, and it won't require any special tools or know how; its something you could do in your driveway."

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wilson... I'm going to delete that post, but not because its not good info! Please by all means fire up a new thread and lets go over the other options and the tech behind them there.

My concern with doing that here is that folks less familiar with all these terms and companies might get confused and come away thinking one thing about the Torsen or Wavetrac, when another is true.

Thanks!