GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chjeep

Reaction score
So you guys with the M3s, 911's, and S6's; in your opinion, is the Raptor the closest thing you can get to an involved driving experience without actually owning two vehicles? I've been looking hard at Raptors as a way to get back into something that's more involving/fun to drive, but also keep the utility of the bed that I need all too often. I used to have a separate fun car (Cayman S) and truck but sold the Cayman due to it sitting more than being driven. My current life situation with business and family just doesn't lend well to dealing with an extra car, it became a headache and distraction. So I'm looking at the Raptor as a way to bridge the gap for the next few years. They are a blast to drive but, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger due to the sheer size of it. So used to small cars I'm worried I'll grow tired of it in short order.

I recently sold both of my vehicles, a jeep wrangler, two door, 6 speed lifted bigger wheels tires etc as well as the e92 M3 6 speed lightly modded (the one with the v8 and no torque). I bought a 2019 supercab raptor with the 802 options, technology, rear step, maybe morel stuff. I enjoy having an automatic and a lot more torque, all the creature comforts , ease of hauling surfboards, bikes, and the over all utility of the truck but it still leaves me wanting a bit. I suspect if I throw a tune, bigger intercoolers and such, I might be a little happier with more acceleration but not big on voiding my warranty. I miss the sound of the V8 the smell (I know weird right) of the leather in the BMW and the open air of the Jeep on cool days.

My conclusion is that one vehicle cannot be all things for me. Next plan is a C7 Z06 vette, I figure I can get a decent deal on one in a couple years, now that the new ones are out and maybe another Jeep, still not sure if I'm going to get sick of the Raptor?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...and if you believe Sasquatch77 owned a Gen2, I have a bridge for sale in the Sahara Desert I'll give you a killer deal on.

I figured it was Sasquatch, but I wanted to give him a chance to extend his cover story. ;)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently sold both of my vehicles, a jeep wrangler, two door, 6 speed lifted bigger wheels tires etc as well as the e92 M3 6 speed lightly modded (the one with the v8 and no torque). I bought a 2019 supercab raptor with the 802 options, technology, rear step, maybe morel stuff. I enjoy having an automatic and a lot more torque, all the creature comforts , ease of hauling surfboards, bikes, and the over all utility of the truck but it still leaves me wanting a bit. I suspect if I throw a tune, bigger intercoolers and such, I might be a little happier with more acceleration but not big on voiding my warranty. I miss the sound of the V8 the smell (I know weird right) of the leather in the BMW and the open air of the Jeep on cool days.

My conclusion is that one vehicle cannot be all things for me. Next plan is a C7 Z06 vette, I figure I can get a decent deal on one in a couple years, now that the new ones are out and maybe another Jeep, still not sure if I'm going to get sick of the Raptor?

Dude the C7Z is no F’n joke even in stock form it’ll scare the shit outta ya, I literally was within 48 hrs of pulling the trigger on what was then a leftover ‘18 Z06 w/ M7 tranny until a dear jumped out in front of my ‘15 GMC Sierra w/ 62k miles & totaled it. I was initially pissed b/c it was paid off & I had recently (within past 5-15k miles) done tranny/diffs/transfer case etc fluid flush + new brakes & a new set of studded snows

Wound up making lemonade got $33.5k for the GMC took the cash from my “Z06 upgrade fund” & wound up w/ a new ‘18 raptor stickered for $66.8k before extended warranty & tonneau left w/ a low 4 digit note on it.

Def satisfied w/ the decision. I still have a paid-for low mileage H/C/I C5 Z06 that’s still fast as shit & have a much more interesting & higher performance DD in the raptor.

But by all means- get that C7Z!!!

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the TRX if released as designed in the concept will be a practical vehicle for your standard DD pickup owner or be a niche vehicle like the GT500?

Just wondering if it will be a sustainable mass production vehicle or just a limited run to a small audience.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the TRX if released as designed in the concept will be a practical vehicle for your standard DD pickup owner or be a niche vehicle like the GT500?

Just wondering if it will be a sustainable mass production vehicle or just a limited run to a small audience.

we don't know if we're getting the TRX with the 6.2L SC hellcat engine, or if Ram will be offering both a 6.4L N/A and a hellcat powered truck. rumors have it they're testing both, but seems most people have seen the SC hellcat running round.

I would think the SC TRX will be a niche production run with most units pushed as N/As. Ram has the ability to build either easily, as the blocks for the 6.4 are everywhere and there's no shortage of heads or cams to turn the 410hp 6.4 into the 485hp monster. however the big question is where are they getting their suspension from this time as well as body panels? Ram made KORE deal with supplying everything last time and that didn't go well.

everyone thought in 2010 the Raptor was just for a "small audience" and look how that's turned out, Ram knows the market is there and they're going to cash in massively with every mopar nut job lol. last I seen Ram was second in truck sales to Ford, so with this new gen Ram PLUS the TRX (F@%K they better give it better name than acronyms!) they will do well.

PlaynCA

Reaction score
Have a supercharged 6.2 in a C7Z. Gave some thought to what my 19 Raptor would be like with the LT4 1) other than way outside of the city, or an occasional on ramp, would struggle to get anywhere near WOT for more than a few seconds. 2) tires and brakes would need improvement to be safe at a higher perf level 3) would likely break more drivetrain parts in the sand and dirt 4) I’d still be disappointed with the shift points in normal mode 5) I do think it would sound very nice, but many would likely complain it sounded like a sports car not like a truck...others would complain that although it weighed the same it has pushrods.

To each their own, but I believe the engine in the Raptor is fine, has good torque over a broad RPM band and is balanced by the rest of the truck. The truck is great at doing a lot of things well. The sound isn’t that big of a deal to me. Changes that would raise my eyebrows 1) user adjustable tuning parameters for the transmission in each mode. 2) user adjustable tuning of the live valve (already asked DSC Sport if to see if they will make a controller).

Is it worth waiting for the GT500 supercharged V8 ? Off roading is dominated by suspension; street driving is regulated to much less than the current truck can perform; a GT500 Raptor would differentiate itself at the drag strip...but would likely lose to the Tesla that doesn’t sound as good....not worth the wait for me.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
becbfe66d9029be3eb3e83e9843ecc2c.jpg

Wish I still had pics of the 5-10k markups dealers were adding for the gen 1s when I bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my 13 in November of 2013 for 6k under MSRP. That was without any negotiating. I think your markup may have to do with your location.

Mine was in Killeen, TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorBro

Reaction score
The 6.2 sounds amazing, but the Gen 2 blows it away in every department, especially when it comes to low end torque.

19Stripper

Reaction score
I love the sound argument... If you are so consumed in sound over performance and fun factor, then you can get the V8 sound in a regular 5.0 F150 and save yourself a few thousand dollars to boot.. If Ram drops the TRX with the hellcat motor, I would suspect a quick fix for ford would be an engine performance option OR a Ford performance add-on for the ecoboost that would beef up the motor and include a tune, while maintaining warranty. If you're so worried about a v8 that you wont buy a gen2, you've never ridden in a quality tuned one. They're fast.

Bottom line, Ford can get competitive with the front heavy hellcat motor in terms of speed using the current ecoboost. The Ford GT displays that by competing with v12s and the likes.

I'm a fun factor guy. I bought the gen2 because its freakin fun to drive. That's what mattered to me. To each their own.