GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BobbyVA

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you guys with the M3s, 911's, and S6's; in your opinion, is the Raptor the closest thing you can get to an involved driving experience without actually owning two vehicles? I've been looking hard at Raptors as a way to get back into something that's more involving/fun to drive, but also keep the utility of the bed that I need all too often. I used to have a separate fun car (Cayman S) and truck but sold the Cayman due to it sitting more than being driven. My current life situation with business and family just doesn't lend well to dealing with an extra car, it became a headache and distraction. So I'm looking at the Raptor as a way to bridge the gap for the next few years. They are a blast to drive but, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger due to the sheer size of it. So used to small cars I'm worried I'll grow tired of it in short order.

I have a 17 S6..before my S6 had a 14 raptor with lights and exhaust. Wife has a new Midsized SUV both vehicles have to have room for two small kids. At this point in our lives like you we can not have a third (fun car).

I love my S6 for many reasons but I am consider selling it for a new raptor. Reasons why I’m considering selling it if I love the S6 so much?

I have a single family home and if you own a home with some land you need a truck. Could I buy a beater truck sure but really don’t want another vehicle in the driveway as I have a work car. To me the Raptor does bridge that gap between a fun driver’s car and practicality.

Another huge plus for families with kids, the backseat is huge and if you get a cover for your bed have plenty of cargo space. There is more room I in the back seat than in a suburban’s first back seat row.

If you have one kid and dogs like we use to...put the car seat on the single fold seat and lift the larger seat to make room for the dogs.

If you have a bike you can throw that in the bed too. My CBR1000 fit just fine with the tailgate closed. Full dresser Harley will fit too but with the tailgate down.

My 14 raptor was fun to drive and when it snowed I’d go out and have fun. Also use to have some fun in the mud.

So I went from raptor to S6 (TT4.0V8) and considering going back to raptor for the reasons I listed above, plus it’s a fun truck to drive. Had a King Ranch before my raptor and I definitely enjoyed the raptor a lot more.

If I were in your shoes, which i kind of am I’d go for it. I’m close to pulling the trigger myself, the trade in on my S6 is low but private sale is much better. So id have to sell it myself which I’m not looking forward to.

My S6 couldn’t do this lol
39c082d74a23e0f8b8beec0f151060cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you guys with the M3s, 911's, and S6's; in your opinion, is the Raptor the closest thing you can get to an involved driving experience without actually owning two vehicles?.

No, the Raptor is a truck and drives like one on the streets. If you actually take it offroading then yes that is a fun driving experience you can't get with many other vehicles, but not in the same way as a sports car.

I had an AMG that I sold because I couldn't really use the speed anywhere. I wanted the extra utility of the truck. You'll find a lot of Raptor owners have mustangs/vettes or similar second vehicles....there is a what else is in your garage thread somewhere.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legit. I just went down to the local Stealership and picked up my free gen2 for my wife and another just as a spare. I was going to claim them all, but there was a homeless guy outside, so I let him have the last Raptor on the lot ( gave him the 801a )

I’m going to have to use the speed limited my-key for my wife’s free Raptor, she’s got a bit of heavy foot when priussies are around.

You guys better run to the stealerships and pick up your free Raptors. Hurry, before they’re gone.
Awww man why ya hating on the 801a ??? The 800a was the BOGO lol.

As far as the original topic goes though Ford straight up said no v8 in the Gen 2. So until they say otherwise I think you'd be safe buying the .5

VinceC

Reaction score
I traded my 17 Raptor for a '18 Panamera 4 because I got tired of it after 10 months. I got tired of the Panamera in a week. Yeah, that's not a typo. I'm a bit ***** to say the least. Hard to please? Yep. Traded that for a '18 911 C4. Traded that after few months for a '18 Platinum.

And then I finally came to my senses and got a '19 Raptor. (Oh, I also got a '19 911T to scratch that itch). I love my Raptor. I actually reach for the key over the Porsche most times.[/QUOTE

Good God man, that's a lot of trades. I am glad to see someone else out there that has the bug worse then even me:). My new pledge to myself is to go at least a year between cars, lol.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh Raptor fans
Now why would ford add weight with extra cylinders at least 200+ pounds RIGHT ON THE JUMPING LEAPING AND LANDING FRONT END WHEN FORD TRIES ITS HARDEST TO REDUCE WEIGHT.
AND REMEMBER THIS ENGINE TURNS THE FORD GT AT 647HP, I can only imagine my 19 with 600+ hp
WAKE UP AND GET REAL, stop the bs. And if anyone thinks a fat heavy UNICORN hellcat equipped UNICORN trex is gonna beat and outjump( AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE TREX WIN ITS BAJA CLASS AND DIVE HOME)haaaa) a raptor buy one and try. RAPTORS ARE WAY MORE CAPABLE THAN THE DRIVER WITHOUT BEING WRECKED HAAAAA YEAH ITS THE RAPTORS FAULT I WRECKED. End of story

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh Raptor fans
Now why would ford add weight with extra cylinders at least 200+ pounds RIGHT ON THE JUMPING LEAPING AND LANDING FRONT END WHEN FORD TRIES ITS HARDEST TO REDUCE WEIGHT.
AND REMEMBER THIS ENGINE TURNS THE FORD GT AT 647HP, I can only imagine my 19 with 600+ hp
WAKE UP AND GET REAL, stop the bs. And if anyone thinks a fat heavy UNICORN hellcat equipped UNICORN trex is gonna beat and outjump( AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE TREX WIN ITS BAJA CLASS AND DIVE HOME)haaaa) a raptor buy one and try. RAPTORS ARE WAY MORE CAPABLE THAN THE DRIVER WITHOUT BEING WRECKED HAAAAA YEAH ITS THE RAPTORS FAULT I WRECKED. End of story

Because of the sound... Some people have said that the reason why they won’t buy a $70k truck is because it’s missing 2 cylinders and so the exhaust doesn’t sound like a V8. I sincerely hope the Gen 3 Raptor will be a turbo 4 banger just to watch people’s reaction.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the ecoboost we see and have experienced, I am happy to wait for any other power plant. My test drive of my 19 suckered me in, and it failed me pretty early on. I will buy another, but not until there is something else for power.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m new here, but I’ll wade in on this thread. As a prospective Raptor buyer, one of the things that makes the Raptor a palatable choice is the V6 and not atrociously horrible MPG. I drive about 20K annually for work currently, I could probably reduce that to 12-15K annually if I utilized the company option for rental cars on longer trips and drive my wife’s Touareg TDI sometimes. I’m targeting 16 mpg average in a Raptor vs 19 in a standard F-150. If the Raptor was a V8 and only averaging 13MPG it’s a much harder sale for me.

Other than just buying a standard F-150, my other truck idea is recreating a Lightning as it should have been done. A lowered XLT regular cab short bed 4x4, 5.0 V8 with the Roush supercharger. 650hp in the smallest F-150 available. I’d need the 4x4 for my winter driving, but I’d also want it to get all that power to the ground. This would cost about $55K to complete, but compared to a Raptor the resale would be shit and I couldn’t warranty it as long.

My car story isn’t as expensive as others here, 1987 Bronco (still have, full cage, long travel with coil overs, ARB lockers, soon to be LS swapped), 2001 and 2003 F-150’s both V6 MT, 2002 Civic Coupe MT, 2005 Nissan Titan, 2006 Accord Coupe V6 MT, a 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel (still have), 2009 Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Touareg TDI, 2013 Volvo C30 Polestar MT(sorely missed), 2017 Outback, currently a 2015 VW Passat TDI MT and 2015 Touareg TDI. If I get the Raptor (or other pickup) I’ll be selling my 2006 Dodge diesel and my 2015 Passat TDI, leaving me with the Touareg TDI and my Bronco.