My One Year Review - 2019 Agate Black SCREW 801A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ this! Moreover, the OP lives in Houston. Get a Costco membership. They have top tier fuel and their premium gas prices are normally what regular gas costs at other (non-warehouse) stores. Plus if you get a Costco Visa, you get 4% back when purchasing Costco gas. The gas savings alone pays for my membership.

You guys are making me think about using the 93 octane. I do have a Costco membership, I'm just not that close to a location. And that particular location can be a PITA from a traffic standpoint. So I don't make the trip up to Costco for gas. I use a place called Buc-ee's that is only about a mile away and very convenient. They generally have the lowest prices on gas in the area. So maybe I'll give it a try and see if I notice any difference in performance. I find it hard to believe that the wear and tear or "dirtiness" of the fuel injectors or cylinders is going to be appreciably different between 87 and 93. But I'm willing to give it a try and see what happens.

D

Deleted member 17706

You guys are making me think about using the 93 octane. I do have a Costco membership, I'm just not that close to a location. And that particular location can be a PITA from a traffic standpoint. So I don't make the trip up to Costco for gas. I use a place called Buc-ee's that is only about a mile away and very convenient. They generally have the lowest prices on gas in the area. So maybe I'll give it a try and see if I notice any difference in performance. I find it hard to believe that the wear and tear or "dirtiness" of the fuel injectors or cylinders is going to be appreciably different between 87 and 93. But I'm willing to give it a try and see what happens.

You need to run several full tanks of premium for your truck to adjust to the 93 octane—the sensors won’t adjust right away when you put 93 in.

I use to live in DFW, so I am quite familiar with Buc-ees. However, not all gas is created equal. Buc-ees does not sell Top Tier rated fuel and Costco does. So that also contributes to why it is cheaper. If you don’t go to Costco, at least go somewhere that sells Top Tier fuel: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

I get around 17-18 mpg on my Gen 2 with 93 from Costco. I told the dealership not to fill it up when I bought mine where I could take it to Costco and fill it up with 93. Premium Top Tier fuel makes a big difference on these trucks.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There’s a big difference between Top Tier fuels and those that are not. I’ve seen it first hand with my own eyes and with a boroscope.

If you had a scan tool and could watch live data, you’d be amazed at how much timing the ECM will pull in high ambient temperatures and extended boost conditions to prevent knocking with lower octane fuels.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s a big difference between Top Tier fuels and those that are not. I’ve seen it first hand with my own eyes and with a boroscope.

If you had a scan tool and could watch live data, you’d be amazed at how much timing the ECM will pull in high ambient temperatures and extended boost conditions to prevent knocking with lower octane fuels.

Exactly; agree 100%. The Top Tier fuel guarantees the quality of the fuel you are buying; it's a standard that was developed by US auto manufacturers decades ago as a result of the many second rate brands selling poor/inconsistent quality fuel that resulted in clogged fuel filters and injectors, coked intake valves, and engine failures.

I run Costco 93 consistently. It's top tier and by far the most affordable.

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to run several full tanks of premium for your truck to adjust to the 93 octane—the sensors won’t adjust right away when you put 93 in.

I use to live in DFW, so I am quite familiar with Buc-ees. However, not all gas is created equal. Buc-ees does not sell Top Tier rated fuel and Costco does. So that also contributes to why it is cheaper. If you don’t go to Costco, at least go somewhere that sells Top Tier fuel: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

I get around 17-18 mpg on my Gen 2 with 93 from Costco. I told the dealership not to fill it up when I bought mine where I could take it to Costco and fill it up with 93. Premium Top Tier fuel makes a big difference on these trucks.

Exactly; agree 100%. The Top Tier fuel guarantees the quality of the fuel you are buying; it's a standard that was developed by US auto manufacturers decades ago as a result of the many second rate brands selling poor/inconsistent quality fuel that resulted in clogged fuel filters and injectors, coked intake valves, and engine failures.

I run Costco 93 consistently. It's top tier and by far the most affordable.

Ok, now that is a much more convincing reason to use Costco over Buc-ee's. I hadn't realized the difference in fuel quality compared to non-Top Tier fuels. Looks like I need to start using Costco for my fueling needs. The good news is that with the minimal amount of driving right now (working from home), I probably will only need to fuel up once a month at most. And I'll start trying out the 93 from Costco since the price difference should be minimal there.

Whaty took you guys so long to provide this useful information!! ;)

This forum is great for learning new stuff!!

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had some errands to run with the wife today and we decided to go by Costco to pick up some rotisserie chickens for our dog. Yes, he's 15 years old and is now getting chicken for dinner. Anyway, I went to the pumps and 93 octane was only $1.89. Compare that to Buc-ee's 87 octane at $1.79 and 93 octane at $2.33. It's now a no brainer to go to Costco to get premium 93 octane for only $1.89.

D

Deleted member 17706

Well I had some errands to run with the wife today and we decided to go by Costco to pick up some rotisserie chickens for our dog. Yes, he's 15 years old and is now getting chicken for dinner. Anyway, I went to the pumps and 93 octane was only $1.89. Compare that to Buc-ee's 87 octane at $1.79 and 93 octane at $2.33. It's now a no brainer to go to Costco to get premium 93 octane for only $1.89.

What is your address? I will be mailing you my consultants fee. Your welcome :)