my bbk 85mm review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Think 'BadRap' is correct in his observations, but so is everyone else...
First: the idle is likely a throttle body bypass passage, if there is no adjustability it needs to be opened up.
The rest I think is simple 'cause and effect'
The OEM tune has a initial slow response to throttle input (lots of foot movement with little happening), but if you have a larger throttle body equal opening will pass more air; the computers response is more fuel resulting in more power.
BadRap feels a livelier truck.
Tuners do the same by giving us a more linear throttle response.

JM2CW

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct when improvements are made to drive by wire, timing and AFR it improves where a stock tune lacks. Usually down low and part of midrange where most people spend their time driving is where most improvements should be felt! Thank our EPA where stock tunes lack (for fuel economy and emissions for instance)!

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to the Tune, changing things like the TB and/or Injectors,
will not force the PCM to add more fuel or air, all the PCM is going to try to do is keep the AFR at 14 + or -
And Ford I'm sure, built a safety net in the software that the PCM will choose the safer course of action.
Before going into limp mode.
Hence, the PCM will close the TB blade before adding fuel.

While our PCM wideband tables are robust, it by no means will compensate for radical changes.

The Idle is purely controlled by the PCM there isn't any adjustment, the blade needs to float so the PCM knows
that it's sending the right amount of current (.01 to 5 volts) to the TB.

I have a question, how big it the opening in the manifold? And is the TB 85mm in and 85mm out?
I have mine buried away and forget what it even looks like.

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to the Tune, changing things like the TB and/or Injectors,
will not force the PCM to add more fuel or air, all the PCM is going to try to do is keep the AFR at 14 + or -
And Ford I'm sure, built a safety net in the software that the PCM will choose the safer course of action.
Before going into limp mode.
Hence, the PCM will close the TB blade before adding fuel.

While our PCM wideband tables are robust, it by no means will compensate for radical changes.

The Idle is purely controlled by the PCM there isn't any adjustment, the blade needs to float so the PCM knows
that it's sending the right amount of current (.01 to 5 volts) to the TB.

I have a question, how big it the opening in the manifold? And is the TB 85mm in and 85mm out?
I have mine buried away and forget what it even looks like.
Idle is whatever you get after the TB is closed, trying to control that with opening the TB would result in erratic or high idle (as is shown in some tunes)
And not knowing how the OEM tune is set up I would not make absolute statements on how it will react to inputs.
But If a driver observes higher performance at lower throttle input I would conclude that the tune is compensating to additional air with added fuel.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I mentioned before the PCM is pretty robust when it comes to AFR, it compensate large altitude changes but it does take a while (50 miles +/- ) before to values change in the perdictive segment of the tables in the tune.

And as the OP said he feels a gain in power at Mid to high rpm range not low.
Could the stock tune deal with the 85mm yes but to a certain extent.
I'd like to see some real info on doing a TB upgrade on the stock tune and a stock engine other than it should work.

OP
OP
B

Badraptor

Reaction score
drove the truck today for about 100 miles.... when you give the engine some load, as if to pass or wot, it does feel like it has more power. & it growls a bit more.

I would love for someone else to try it so I don't feel so crazy.
you would think a vendor would have stepped up by now to try one.

still waiting for bbk to address the idle issue.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am very glad that it's working out for you.
I don't by any means want you to feel crazy, someone has to try it in real world situations.

I think once you get a Tune, you will have that peppy feeling off the light,
since a Tune will open that puppy all the way up and not wait till you hit 3,500 rpms like the stock tune does.

Ask them if they did a pre-flight on that TB with the Raptor's stock specifications.

I would also do some research on the Mustang forums and the F150 forums. There is quite a few discussion on a larger TB and with mixed reviews.

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 85mm TB is snake oil... Throw it on a dyne even with custom tuning and unless you have a highly modded engine like a higher revving 6.6l with ported heads and cams you will probably see no real gains and I bet you drop more in the low end then you make up on the top end.

Its obvious many people posting in this thread do not understand how airflow works with the engine and runners (Its not just about CFM). The MAF will read any increases in flow and correct for that (Which is why you can run LT's with the stock tuning and not blow your engine.

As far as a Positive Displacement blower, well going with a larger TB will make lots more power over a restrictive GT500 TB. The issue is then are you making to much power for the driveline or stock internals.

OP
OP
B

Badraptor

Reaction score
maybe when i decide on headers i'll dyno it, but until then i'm not going to spend 150.00 to see if a 400.00 part works.

that's why i thought that it would be nice for a vendor to step up.
because maybe it is in my head (which i doubt) but what if this "snake oil" does show some gains... i think there would be a lot of n/a guys willing to pay 4xx.xx for a few horse power.

or.... if someone in s. florida is willing to go halfsies on dyno time just to see.....

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
drove the truck today for about 100 miles.... when you give the engine some load, as if to pass or wot, it does feel like it has more power. & it growls a bit more.

I would love for someone else to try it so I don't feel so crazy.
you would think a vendor would have stepped up by now to try one.

still waiting for bbk to address the idle issue.
Please note that a larger TB's only possible positive effect, if everything is tuned for it, will be at the extreme upper end of the possible RPM range.
As long as the air the engine can ingest is not restricted by the max opening of the TB there is no advantage in having a larger one.
Also, opening the air supply to much to soon can slow down the intake air velocity and actually reduce performance.
In my opinion the manufacturer of your TB takes advantage of the behavior of the OEM programming to give you the feeling of enhanced performance and drivability.