MSD Ignition Control Module-Current Booster 8740?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yzfmitch

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these MSD 8740 Ignition Module "current boosters" and do they actually help? Or is it a glorified rev-limiter? I'm going to replace all my coil packs on the truck due to sluggish starts in humid environments.

I was just down south in AL for training and every day after sitting, the engine would turn fine but the ignition seem to be slow to catch, as if it were grounding out initially. I could also describe it as if it had very little fuel pressure at first and slowly caught up. No misfires once it does start, no fouled plugs, fuel pressure is actually fine after sitting all night and no leaks in the fuel system. No check engine lights have ever occurred. After returning to CO where everything is nice and dry, the issue is barely noticeable.

After reading a lot on other Ford Forums, I think its a COP issue one most ford engines because they are not sealed well from the environment. So if the coils and their bores get wet, they ground themselves out before spark reaches the plug. Pretty sure it was the large puddle i went through that got them wet initially and those that have "washed" their engines have experienced similar issues.

But along with replacing those coil packs, I was wondering if you all think the MSD module was worth it too or if I should leave it OEM?

Here is a link to one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-Ignition-8740-Coil-Current-Booster/292821915258?fits=Engine+-+Liter_Display:6.2L|Make:Ford&epid=3006548727&hash=item442d8bd67a:g:MJYAAOSwqRlb~zBK:rk:11:pf:0

I am running a Whipple Stage II Supercharger kit with 60lb injectors, 68mm dual bore throttle body and 4" Catback Exhaust. 57,000 miles. No other real engine mods other than that on my 2013. The Tune is Whipple's as well.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Boost-a-spark is what most guys call them. They help if you are having spark blowout issues at really high boost levels. There's only so much they can do though, the coils themselves can only put out so much energy no matter what you try to jam into them on the input side. I'd only run it if you need it. If you need to go beyond that- most guys switch over to GM coils, or even ones sold by Mercruiser. Both are a major step up from the energy the Ford coil can deliver- but you have to externally mount them on a bracket and run wires to the plugs down in the head.

I would NOT run MSD coils. OEM Ford is the way to go. Given the 60 lb injectors feeding the engine, there's no way you are run nearly enough boost to need a boost-a-spark either. I'd run some good iridium plugs with a tight gap and it should run perfect.

OP
OP
Y

yzfmitch

Reaction score
I appreciate that info. Thank you. I did change to Iridiums after the initial issue with coils getting wet.
So I’ll stick to some Ford OEM COP’s to fix my issue of extended/hesitating start times when the humidity increases.
Right now it’s very dry here in CO and it hasn’t been doing it.
I’ll do an ohm check as well but im one of those type where if one is bad I change the set. Lol