Mounting Rigid 30" upper grill above FORD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WaltDoGG

WaltDoGG

Reaction score
No, I haven't got to it yet. I am planning to work on it this friday and saturday if the weather holds up. I'll be sure to post some pic when complete.

OP
OP
WaltDoGG

WaltDoGG

Reaction score
Got the Rigid 40" and 30" installed today. Installing the 30" wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks ruffstuff for the idea of using rope to tie the hood as a comfortable hight. It worked like a charm.

At first, I was going to shamelessly copy the M&R bracket, since I couldn't buy a set. I printed out a templete from the pictures available, but quickly into the project I figured out it wasn't going to work. I figured out that I would only need to drill one hole in each of the grill support bars and spacer of some sort. I did use the templete I made to help position my drill holes and later to transfer the location to the other side.

photo9.jpg

After eyeballing the placement, I ended up drilling a 15/64" hole about 1/4" closer to the grill and 1/2" higher than the hole positioned on the templete I printed out. The 15/64" hole was a tight fit and I had to widen it just a little with the drill bit to be able to side the screw in at an angle. So probably a 1/4" drill bit would be better.

After transferring the location and drilling the hole on the other side, I test fitted the light bar. There was about a 1/4" gap between the light bar and grill support bars on both sides. After contemplating some options for the spacer (running to home depot, finding something around the house, or making something), I decided to modify the bracket that came with the light. I ground the outer ridge of bracket that would recess the nut flat to the inside. This provided the perfect spacing. In order to side the screws through with the spacer attached I had to losten the bolt securing the grill support bars at the bottom on both sides.

photo7.jpg

After checking that it wouldn't interfere with anything I decided to leave the remainder of the bracket as is. It was starting to get dark and cold out and I wanted to get the lights hooked up tonight. Later I plan to cut off the excess metal and repaint it black for a cleaner install.

photo10.jpg

I ran the wire up the hood following the front camera washer hose. Then down to the uplifter wires where I connected it to the red wire along with the 40" bar.

photo8.jpg

Finished Install
photo4.jpg

RigidIndustries

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are currently devolving our own upper grille 30" Kit to go along with all of our other Raptor OEM kits. The install looks super clean. That's and insane amount of light behind the grille of a Raptor.

Thanks for supporting Rigid Industries and an American Made product!!

OP
OP
WaltDoGG

WaltDoGG

Reaction score
Damn! That's a lot of light. Looks good.

How many Aux switches did you occupy?

I only used 1 AUX switch. I connected both the 30" and 40" to Uplifter 1.

I plan to install the rest of the lights tomorrow, if it stops raining. This is how I plan to connect them.

40" White - Upper Grill below FORD - Uplifter 1
30" White - Upper Grill above FORD - Uplifter 1
20" Amber - Lower Grill - Uplifter 2
Dually D2 Driving White - Inner Fog - Uplifter 3
Dually D2 Driving Amber - Outer Fog - Uplifter 4

Although, I am possibly thinking of connecting 20" amber and amber fog lights together on Uplifter 2. This would leave Uplifter 4 free for a future project, but I can change it later if needed. I like the idea of having them separate at the moment.

UniqueOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are currently devolving our own upper grille 30" Kit to go along with all of our other Raptor OEM kits. The install looks super clean. That's and insane amount of light behind the grille of a Raptor.

Thanks for supporting Rigid Industries and an American Made product!!

I would love to support American Made product. However, Rigid Industries does not respect buyers. I ordered 40197 - 1M EXTENSION ADD A LIGHT FOR
20 AND 30 LIGHTS from Rigid Industries website shows the part number for $9.99.
Add a light 1 meter extension
I already checked out and paid since 12/25/12. I just got an invoice from Elizabeth Card today and charged for the part numer 40197 for $12.00. $2.01 is not much but in term changing the price and charge customer without notice is not quite acceptable. If you would like to look at the order, my order number is 109863. I would file a dispute with AmEx as well.