Morimoto XB Headlights vs. OEM LED - Lux Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So out of boredom tonight I decided to do a little shootout.

We compared the OEM LED headlights against the Morimoto XB LED Headlights (v1) against the Morimoto XB LED Headlights (v2).

We did this in a controlled, highly secure and scientific testing facility. Complete with real-time weather abilities. Okay... so it was in my driveway, at 7pm at night in 45 degree weather with leaves blowing around. Whatever :)

But the shops 16' alignment banner is buried behind old storage racks at the warehouse and I had a lot of people asking for some data.

So the nitty gritty.

At 25' the OEM LED Headlights put out 570 lux.
At 25' the Morimoto XB LED Headlights (v1) put out 950 lux.
At 25' the Morimoto XB LED Headlights (v2) put out 1490 lux.

So yeah... there's a HUGE difference between the new Morimotos and your factory OEM LED.

For those who don't know, v1 references the XB Headlights for the Gen2 Raptors sold before the Summer of 2020. Right around that time they came out with their new versions, the v2. Or as they call it Generation 2/2nd Generation/V2.

I threw some high beams hots in as well. You can see how clear the cut-off is on the Morimotos compared to the stock OEM LED (and it's amazing, how Ford won awards for their LED Headlight design).

The new Morimotos ARE currently out of stock until January 2021 so if you want to secure a set, better order them now: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/morimoto-xb-led-headlights-for-2017-ford-f150-raptor/

As always, if anybody has questions about these, let me know.

upload_2020-11-16_19-28-33.png

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I've been contemplating just grabbing some of the V1 instead of V2, but worth the wait at this point.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these are looking great, but I was trying to figure out what was throwing me off on the Gen IIs and I found it, why didn’t they smoke out the side markers again like the Gen I, looks cleaner that way IMHO.

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these are looking great, but I was trying to figure out what was throwing me off on the Gen IIs and I found it, why didn’t they smoke out the side markers again like the Gen I, looks cleaner that way IMHO.
I think you still have the ability to pop these open, paint them and reseal with no issues

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@4x4TruckLEDs.com what causes the orange-y effect above the V2? The markers?
Correct the angle the light was at (as it’s installed on my truck) so the Amber’s were actually wired in - the other lights sat on a table and I was powering them from a power source so the amber lights were not powered up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
Correct the angle the light was at (as it’s installed on my truck) so the Amber’s were actually wired in - the other lights sat on a table and I was powering them from a power source so the amber lights were not powered up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the stock LED being a table what makes it look so much better at illuminating the fore-ground??? I know pics never do these types of comparisons any justice but that seems to be the only spot the OEM LEDs do better. Thanks for the side by side pics!!!

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The stock (OEM LED) lights are not projectors. They are better then a reflector but it's a proprietary reflection system Ford designed (they won an award for it at the time). So it scatters light more then the projectors on the Morimoto. Now, when I say scatters light it's not as much as a reflector housing, but that's why it might seem as if it lights up more. It's not actually lighting up more but the pattern is all over so it appears that way.