Matte Black Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoyJoy

Uber
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Me likey. I agree drop the glossy parts and that would look tough. Almost gunmetal looking.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ouch Aaron! Opinions are like cars, everyone has one. I like the fiberglass, one piece "skating rink" cover (I used to have one on my pickup truck years back) but, it's not for everyone. If you need to carry anything that sticks up above the bed sides you have 2 choices: (1) leave the cover up at an angle looking like a launch ramp or (2) take the whole thing off.

I personally like the Bakflip and you can hardly see it anyway. Of course I have a black Raptor so the Bakflip looks like it was made for my Raptor (and it was).

As for the matte black wrap protecting from scratches I'll bet it won't, for the most part, do that. Bushes often have sharp ends and I don't see vinyl offering the kind of protection required.

As for the big wheels, they add the worst kind of weight: unsprung weight. And that reduces handling and braking performance. But they often look good.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'm just going to rattle can my truck with primer and keep a few cans in the truck in case I go through bushes and scratch the paint. No need to waste all that money on a paint job that will just get messed up ;)

On a serious note (I was joking Dan) the vinyl wrap own't too expensive its the cost of labor that drives the price up. The best price I came up with was $1000. Anyone else look into the wrap yet?

ipoodman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sticker city sells vinyl for a good price and it looks good too!

link: StickerCity

here are a few pictures of their work:

bentley-gt-matte-black-vinyl-wrap.jpg

gallardo-flat-black-vinyl-wrap.jpg

And my personal favorite Matte White SLR:

matt_white_vinyl_2.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just going to rattle can my truck with primer and keep a few cans in the truck in case I go through bushes and scratch the paint. No need to waste all that money on a paint job that will just get messed up

Let's do that Brian! We can spray 'em in the desert and then run 'em hard. Maybe some of the sand and dirt will get stuck in the paint giving the Raptors an abrasive texture!

On a serious note (I was joking Dan) the vinyl wrap own't too expensive its the cost of labor that drives the price up. The best price I came up with was $1000. Anyone else look into the wrap yet?

Can you get us a group buy Brian? Hurry up and try before Matt gets to your guy and gets it done for FREE! :mrgreen:

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is using Fuel Octane 20"

Also for matte black wraps I was quoted best at 2k most other places were 2500.

The wrap will last 2 years before it starts to get ugly. For 3k you can have the truck painted to look flat black and it will last.

washing is a pain for the wrap or if you paint it. I have had flat matte painted cars before and my old coupe had a roof & hood that was wrapped. Both have issues.

finger prints, scratches, oils and mud on the car will make it look nasty after a while. If you off road it expect it to get ugly quick.

Ford should NOT offer this, it would be a warranty nightmare for them. Check out BMW's new silver matte they offer on the M3. You have to sign a disclaimer on care and wear.

ipoodman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy that wrapped his C class benz matte black with 3M vinyl wrap and it lasted close to five years... only reason it didn't last longer was because he wrecked it. Us Socal people don't do too well in Utah snow.