Lower control arm bolt remedy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's only if the UCA's you buy are adjustable.

As I mentioned, getting adjustable arms is the only point to changing upper control arms.
There is zero benefit to changing the stock ones out for non adjustable ones.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned, getting adjustable arms is the only point to changing upper control arms.
There is zero benefit to changing the stock ones out for non adjustable ones.

There is one good reason, if you have a bad upper ball joint or bushing. In my case just noticed mine has a bad drivers side ball joint, so figuring passenger side is not far behind. Ordered a set of the ReadyLift upper control arms hoping they may last longer than stock. Plus rebuild-able which is nice.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I used weld washers on mine as well.
Bit of a pain to align, but it hasn't had to be realigned since. Used to have to do an alignment every month.

The cam adjusters don't work, if anything they slip more.

I have had good luck with the cam adjuster plates. When I installed them I used a permanent marker and put a line on them to check if they have moved, and so far after a year, no problems. I play fairly hard in the dunes.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is one good reason, if you have a bad upper ball joint or bushing. In my case just noticed mine has a bad drivers side ball joint, so figuring passenger side is not far behind. Ordered a set of the ReadyLift upper control arms hoping they may last longer than stock. Plus rebuild-able which is nice.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I have had good luck with the cam adjuster plates. When I installed them I used a permanent marker and put a line on them to check if they have moved, and so far after a year, no problems. I play fairly hard in the dunes.
I think ntm was referring to adjustable UCA's specifically. Obviously, there are many reasons for switching to an aftermarket UCA.

I also have had the cam adjuster plates for almost 2yrs. Without any issues.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are actually better off going with stock arms over non adjustable upper arms. The uniball will wear out faster than the balljoint, and requires constant maintenance. You do not gain any actual travel with them, contrary to what some manufacturers claim. Theoretically you could pull more angle with a uniball, but the shocks control the travel range.
All the downsides, no benefits. But they do look cooler than the factory uca.

My cam adjuster plates actually bent, repeatedly, but we have more square edged hits on hard packed clay here, so the loads tend to be harsher. Still big g outs like duning, but with jarring hits mixed in.
Not sure what Ford was thinking with the whole slotted lower control arm setup. Like those will never see a side load !

D

Deleted member 12951

You are actually better off going with stock arms over non adjustable upper arms. The uniball will wear out faster than the balljoint, and requires constant maintenance. You do not gain any actual travel with them, contrary to what some manufacturers claim. Theoretically you could pull more angle with a uniball, but the shocks control the travel range.

All the downsides, no benefits. But they do look cooler than the factory uca.

My cam adjuster plates actually bent, repeatedly, but we have more square edged hits on hard packed clay here, so the loads tend to be harsher. Still big g outs like duning, but with jarring hits mixed in.

Not sure what Ford was thinking with the whole slotted lower control arm setup. Like those will never see a side load !

Bent like this?
784223595c17ac7ddea35807791cd151.jpg

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the eccentric cams themselves bent up away from their respective engagement surfaces.
What you've got there is just a little tweak to the lower control arm pocket.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my alignment cams. I have SDHQ doubler plates and upgraded hardware it works mint. I am very hard on my truck too. Also the stock UCA is also a limiting factor in front travel. This is especially true with 3.0s. see the fox vs icon vs king thread

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my alignment cams. I have SDHQ doubler plates and upgraded hardware it works mint. I am very hard on my truck too. Also the stock UCA is also a limiting factor in front travel. This is especially true with 3.0s. see the fox vs icon vs king thread

100% wrong.
It is not a limiting factor in front travel.
Nor is it with fox or icon 3.0's. I've run both types of 3.0's with stock uca and aftermarket uca, there is no difference whatsoever in droop travel. The shock limits travel in every case.
Not sure who started that line of advertising, but it was a lie based in truth. The stock arms do create resistance at the extremes of their travel due to the rubber bushings, but this is not a bad thing entirely.

I'm not saying uca arms are a waste of money, well the nonadjustable ones kind of are, but you have to understand where your potential gains are. Most people buy them because you can see them...

Last edited: