Loose Shock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCM

Reaction score
Hey y’all I need some help. The other day my front passenger suspension is making a dull thud noise and feels loose. I had someone rock my truck back and forth and can see and feel my geiser springs or the whole shock slightly moving around in the top shock hat. Don’t think it’s “the clunk” because when I put my hand on the springs and top hat I can feel it moving making the noise I hear. My top shock nuts are tight and my lower shock bolt has the torque seal paint still connected so doesn’t seem to have loosened up. Is it possible for the lower bolt to still be the problem even if the torque seal isn’t broken? I don’t have anything that goes to 425lbs but will go get it tightened if that’s the problem.

OP
OP
KCM

KCM

Reaction score
It is possible, sure. That lower bolt and bushing is a source of a lot of the clunking problems.
So if it ends up being the bushing would that cause the whole shock to move when the suspension cycles? Also if its the bushing is it safe to drive on it for a little before I get some 3.0s. I got my shocks rebuilt less than 15,000 miles ago so would think they changed the bushing out.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would make sure the top nut bolt is tight and double check the bottom bolt. If the bushing is worn, or if it’s not tight enough, the shock can move although it shouldn’t while rocking the truck.