Looks like the dealer charged me for brake work that was never done.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dark lady went in for a 60k mile check up about a year ago (April 2013). During that service, they noticed the right front rotor was scored badly and recommended resurfacing the rotor and replacing pads. As a matter of habit, I have never liked the idea of cutting rotors (thinner, faster to heat, easier to warp, etc.). So, I asked them to simply replace the front rotors entirely. Now I've been back to the dealer for regular service six times since then and each time, the supposed checks they did came back as all green with the last visit being December.

Well yesterday was the first time I was there outside of the pre-paid maintenance contract I had with the dealer (long story, won't do it again). No biggie, pay them for the 85,000 mile check up. Not having much of anything else to do, I wander around the dealership and end up seeing my truck on the lift. Shit goes down hill real quick from here. First, I notice these guys using an impact wrench to remove the access panel on the skid plate. That quickly turns into removing the entire skid plate. I see them drain the oil and install a new filter, then button everything up and drive the truck around to the waiting area for pickup. They page me to say the truck is done but, curiously, this time around, they tell me my front pads are down to 2mm and that the rotors are scored again. I go to look at the truck and realize that the right front rotor looks to be scored EXACTLY like it was a year ago (I have a weird thing for recognizing patterns and right angles). This wouldn't by itself be totally out of reason except for the fact I've only put 25,000 miles on the truck since new pads and rotors were supposedly put on the truck. But, the work history on the truck says the rotors were not replaced. Instead, supposedly the right front was resurfaced.

Now the service advisor calls the techs to ask if they actually measured the pads and confirms they were measured at 2mm via guage...Mind you that as recently as December (5000 miles ago) those same pads were at or above 5mm (green). Still, the service advisor tells me that since the rotors were resurfaced last time around, they'd recommend replacing them this time and that I'd need to drop $531.25 (2xrotors@$125each, pads@$100, $150 shop fee, tax) for them to do it.

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up but, brakes are a safety issue so I decide the best course of action is to do the work but, I don't trust the dealer to do it at this point. So I go back to the parts department to buy the parts because the guy has already confirmed they have them in providing the quote. Buying the parts over the counter saves me $75 vs the prices the service department quoted. So now I'm debating between taking the truck to a trusted friend or home to do the brakes myself. My blood pressure was a little high at this point but it was going to get a hell of a lot higher in short order.

Decided to take the truck to my friend's auto shop thinking that this moment didn't need to be the first time I did a brake job on this truck myself. I trust him and his techs for my other vehicles and I'll save another $50 over the $150 shop fee at the dealer. So up the truck goes on his lift. The first thing I notice is my skidplate access panel is missing three bolts and the fourth is stripped...That's why they took off the entire skidplate for an oil change! Now off come the wheels and it really looks like the right front rotor has never been touched by anything other than the pads that are on the truck. So we take the pads off...They measure 7mm, not 2mm. Overall condition suggests they are the original factory pads...They look like they've got 85,000 miles on them. We take the right front rotor off...Scored as discussed but, run out is in spec and thickness mics within 0.0005 of the brand new rotor. Same story on the other side. And now I'm pissed.

Went back to the dealer. My service advisor has gone home in the 90 minutes since I left to install the new parts that I really didn't need. So I ask for a manager and demand that someone fix the skidplate...NOW! I'm struggling to avoid being the loud, angry, black dude because that won't go well with the local PD. Continue on to tell the Service Manager I think he's got a thief and a liar among his techs as I'm told the guy who supposedly did the brakes last year is "the veteran" guy. Well, I've got a rotor and pads that suggest whoever looked at the truck yesterday is a lying little shit hoping to get a brake job in by saying the pads were at 2mm rather than 7mm and the guy who supposedly resurfaced a rotor last year is likely both a liar and a thief because I'm not convinced he would have replaced the rotor and then claimed to have resurfaced it. Instead, I think he just claimed to do, and charged me for, work that was never never done.

The service drive manager made the guys replace the hardware on the access panel. He then asked to take my pads to show them to his boss and I guess the boss of the techs who worked on my truck. He took my name, VIN, a copy of the truck's work history, and my cell number. I had other appointments to make and I sure as hell wasn't leaving my truck there so as soon as they got the skidplate fixed, I had to split. My thing right now is I'm trying to decide where to go from here. I certainly will never trust them with the truck again but, I'm trying to decide if I just try to address this with Autonation or do I file a formal complaint with the state. I don't want money out of it but, it seems like someone's head or heads need to roll. I'm all for bowling with said heads but, I'm pretty sure that if I did that, the popo might take issue with me lopping off the heads of a dealership full of people over a fake brakejob.

Last edited:

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Yikes, I'd be highly upset as well. And i definitely wouldn't go back to that dealer. Good luck and I'm glad you figured out what was going in before they could do any real damage to your truck.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's the reason why I haven't had my truck back to a dealership since I bought it. I view the warranty only for catastrophic events like dropping a rod.

For the brakes, if you haven't installed them yet, may want to talk to Chris at Freedom Motorsports - I put on new rotors, pads and stainless lines, and my truck brakes like a sports car now (okay, a really heavy sports car...)

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's messed up but sad to say a very common occurrence at many a dealership!

SHAI HULUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gcmj,

Sorry brother. Your story is all too familiar. I had nearly the same thing happen to me a couple of years back at my local dealership. I went in for "scheduled" maintenance on my old FX4 only to have the service manager tell me that I needed to replace my pads and my rotors and that driving the truck any further would be unsafe. Same as you, I think they told me the pads were worn down to less than 2mm and the rotors had grooves worn in them. Now, I'm picky about maintenance and don't like to put these things off so I asked for an estimate and was about to schedule the work, but something about the estimate didn't seem quite right. So, I got on the phone and called several other dealerships further down the road and got estimates that were less than half of what my dealership wanted to charge. So, assuming the local dealership was being truthful about the condition of my brakes, I ordered upgraded rotors and new pads from the dealership that had the best reputation and scheduled an appointment to get the work done. When I got to the reputable dealership and they got busy with the work, I get a call from the service advisor who said basically that there was nothing wrong with my rotors or pads and that based upon my driving habits I could probably go another year or two without replacing anything. At this point I'm pissed but grateful to the reputable dealership for being honest with me so I went ahead and had them do the upgraded brakes anyway since they had to order the parts and all. Long story short, I got upgraded rotors and new pads for about half of what the original dealership wanted to charge for oem replacements that I didn't even need. As a matter of standard practice, the reputable dealership gave me the old parts in the new equipment boxes and advised me to take the old stuff back to my local dealership and confront them with the evidence. So, I went back to the service manager at the local shop and showed him the old gear and demanded that they pay for the unnecessary brake job. Two weeks later he calls me back and says that "a new guy" who didn't know any better made an incorrect determination of impending brake failure and that he had spoken to his manager and his manager had authorized two free oil changes to make it up to me. WTF, two free oil changes after a totally unncessary brake job, you must be F-ing kidding me! To top it all off, the service manager asked if he could keep my old components for "training purposes" so that this sort of thing never happened again. Needless to say, I've never been back to the local dealership for service again. I don't know why these stealerships think they can get away with this kind of ********. Do they not realize that people talk and word spreads fast these days? It just seems so stupid to me that they would be willing to sacrifice their morals and ethics just to make an extra buck. Bottom line, you can't put a dollar value on a good reputation!

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take them to the cleaners. Absolutely 1 million percent report them to the state.

There is no reason and no room for thieves, liars, or cheats. If they did this to you how many other hundreds of people have they done this to? You should report them and hopefully save other people the headache, ass pain, and rip off.
I am sure too they have done lots of unnecessary work under "warranty" to get paid for doing nothing.

I personally cannot stand liars and cheats. I expect professionalism, honesty, and quality from everyone. These scum bags clearly bent you over and took advantage of you.

Yeah to answer your question go after these ass clowns like they did you!

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sent the wife's Explorer in for a check up and sent a list of things to check. Came back with their check list and all was fine. Called and reamed the service boss about not checking what I asked them to check. He said bring it back. They did check all items I asked them to and, in 2 weeks, the brakes were totally shot.... riiiight.

One of the items I asked them to check was front wheel bearings as I had been told by the alignment people there was one going bad. Nope they were fine. The problem remained and finally had a specialty shop check it out and both front bearings were replaced and the problem was gone.

Never will I go back to that dealer for anything. Bought two cars from them previously (but, a previous owner ).

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealerships rip everyone off, it's just us modders that catch it to be honest! It's really really sad. If your in warranty, they just rip off the main Ford division that they have to get the "okay" from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the exact reason I don't let anyone that I don't trust touch my vehicles! Not just my raptor but my wife's car as well! When it comes to mechanics at dealers they're all ******* worthless! There's a very very all percent that are actually good guys and work hard! I've heard to many story's like this. I say clean em out man file a complaint with every single person or organization (state, ford, dealership) that you can cause it's gonna keep happening!!