Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy34

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm sure there is already a post about this, but I have been struggling to find it on my phone. So if that is the case, please just post a link to that thread to prevent chaos.

But I am looking to buy a raptor in the next 1-2 months and just want to know what to look out for. What are common issues, what to specifically look at during an inspection of the truck, how many miles becomes a concern etc. Really any helpful info for a newbie! :) I do know that I want a SCREW. Still undecided about 5.4 vs 6.2. Probably leaning towards 6.2 cause fun outweighs fuel efficiency.

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE:

Here is a truck only 20 miles from my house. What do you guys think?

http://www.mikeshawbuickgmc.com/use...-springs-d41c87680a0e0a6b63ea0cc04cd47607.htm

Last edited:

TScozz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It looks clean but I would really check on underneath. It appears rust on hitch and tow hooks, could just be surface. Personally, I would crawl under or ask them to put it and a lift. Again, just me. Interior looked solid and so did the paint, with fairly new tires. Oh, only 2010 had the option of the 5.4, 2011 through 2014 all were 6.2L. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tommy34

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you much! I'll go to the dealer this week and look at it in person. Is there any concern with the number of miles on the truck? I don't know if there are any common failures.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f4/buying-2nd-2010-14-raptor-first-46952/

Good thread for what to look for.

Definitely check underneath.

Crawled underneath all the Raptors I looked at, didn't care if the salesperson looked at me weird lol. Found dents, a lot of rust(NJ truck) and mud/muck caked on some.

Miles? I guess it would be nice to know how if there is records of basic maintenance. Wear and tear. The engine is very stout and so is the transmission for the most part. IIRC some have issues over 100k, but history of how hard the truck was driven could play a factor.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought mine in Feb a 2011 screw white, with all the options, look into fuse 27, mine was fixed with a jumper.
Some had, sun roof leak issues.
The iwe's are a issue at times. Check the 4wd for proper engagement.
Some have a recall for transmission, it's just software is what Ford told me.
I checked under for signs of damage from off roading...while an off road capable truck you don't want something someone just beat the hell out of...
The front shocks need to be rebuilt around 50k miles if just on road some offroad need to be sooner.

OP
OP
T

Tommy34

Reaction score
Good to know! Was there an option to build one without a sunroof? And if so how hard would it be to find one? I would like to avoid the leak issue, and I just hate sunroofs in the first place.

OP
OP
T

Tommy34

Reaction score
Another quick question, what should I expect to pay in insurance? Obviously there are a ton of variables, but I have a clean record, and am under 25.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another quick question, what should I expect to pay in insurance? Obviously there are a ton of variables, but I have a clean record, and am under 25.

Most insurance providers classify the Raptor as a normal F-150 so you shouldn't see any crazy rates. Just be sure to keep it on all 4 wheels and you'll be good ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter