Looking for off road trip suggestions in Western US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HipTang

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip with a couple of friends and would love to get some feedback from people in the know.

When: mid-June
Duration: 10-14 days
Vehicles: 2017 Ford Raptor (stock), 2005 Jeep Rubicon (mostly stock but has 3" lift kit and 33" A/T tires)
Who: 4 guys in their mid 20s up to mid 30s. All have some offroad experience but nothing highly technical or difficult. All have experience camping and hiking in desert environments.
What: Looking to do some easy-medium difficulty off road trails with a focus on scenic areas and easy places to tent/truck camp and enjoy. Would also like to try some dune riding with rented ATVs or side-by-sides.
Where: We are starting in Vegas and would like to initially head to the Grand Canyon/Zion and then head toward Moab. Was thinking about heading North from there and possibly eventually West to California. Timeframe is flexible and nowhere west of Denver is off limits.

Some places that I've found that seem to be what we are looking for but none are definite:

White Rim Trail
Moab- Gemini Bridges
Dumont Dunes
Coral Pink Sand Dunes

Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip with a couple of friends and would love to get some feedback from people in the know.

When: mid-June
Duration: 10-14 days
Vehicles: 2017 Ford Raptor (stock), 2005 Jeep Rubicon (mostly stock but has 3" lift kit and 33" A/T tires)
Who: 4 guys in their mid 20s up to mid 30s. All have some offroad experience but nothing highly technical or difficult. All have experience camping and hiking in desert environments.
What: Looking to do some easy-medium difficulty off road trails with a focus on scenic areas and easy places to tent/truck camp and enjoy. Would also like to try some dune riding with rented ATVs or side-by-sides.
Where: We are starting in Vegas and would like to initially head to the Grand Canyon/Zion and then head toward Moab. Was thinking about heading North from there and possibly eventually West to California. Timeframe is flexible and nowhere west of Denver is off limits.

Some places that I've found that seem to be what we are looking for but none are definite:

White Rim Trail - Good for Raptor
Moab- Gemini Bridges - Good for Raptor
Dumont Dunes
Coral Pink Sand Dunes

Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Everything outside of Moab is full of high speed trails that you will love. If you're heading north you can pick up I-80 west and get off in Delle and play around out in the west desert of Utah for a few hundred miles, just don't don't go out to the bombing range, and eventually make your way over to little sahara where all the dunes are. After that, you can drive out on the salt flats for all the high speed you want.

Then you're in Nevada which is just pure desert. Find a road or trail and go.

@m3dragon or @Trick_Raptor can hook you up with maps.

OP
OP
H

HipTang

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks for the quick feedback. Only done this in central Texas and the Southeast. Very excited to get out in some open land.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot M3dragon a PM, we have a mapped route from Vegas-Reno (both Garmin and Lowrance). As TheMacF said NV is covered with roads / trails, lots to do here....

daystaff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Coral Pink Sand Dunes is one of the best spot for travelers. It has a very beautiful scenery.