Lighting Shootout Results - TRR 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Communication overall at TRR wasn't the best. I struggled trying to find out about details of the light shootout myself even though it was mentioned at dinner. Luckily I found it at the end.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 100yd Lux results on the KC Gravity lights is impressive. It out performed the HID light also. I find that surprising. I do see that the truck in use had two more light than the one with pods, but only 2 were spot beams.

"The fact that optics make the light was again reinforced. Lights with larger reflectors outperform lights with smaller reflectors and lights with better engineered reflectors outperform those that skimped on the design."

I completely agree with this statement. I have been telling people that for a couple years, but many people find it difficult to justify the price jump to the better engineered product.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
The 100yd Lux results on the KC Gravity lights is impressive. It out performed the HID light also. I find that surprising. I do see that the truck in use had two more light than the one with pods, but only 2 were spot beams.

"The fact that optics make the light was again reinforced. Lights with larger reflectors outperform lights with smaller reflectors and lights with better engineered reflectors outperform those that skimped on the design."

I completely agree with this statement. I have been telling people that for a couple years, but many people find it difficult to justify the price jump to the better engineered product.

The HIDs were on a trophy truck and the light bar doesn't have an actuator for some reason, if we could have aimed them up a little I think the results would have been different. Not 100% on that, but I'd be willing to take the bet.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @treypal. I thought something seemed a little odd, but still impressed with the performance, LED technology looks to be catching up to HIDs quickly

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

The HIDs were on a trophy truck and the light bar doesn't have an actuator for some reason, if we could have aimed them up a little I think the results would have been different. Not 100% on that, but I'd be willing to take the bet.
As per Matt and the famous Hudson Hall, the HIDs on the trophy truck were aimed low, for more light at the 50yd mark. I mentioned that in the write-up, but not in the table.

That has a lot to do with why I do this - to show what you get for the money. In addition, they have to know what they want them for. Street queens - the cheap lights get the job done. Really want performance? Gonna have to pony up the bucks to get light down range.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

LED technology looks to be catching up to HIDs quickly
The biggest areas of change are in the LEDs themselves and in the optics. The Gravity lights had 20 watt LEDs - I remember a few years ago when 5 watt LEDs were a big deal. The Gravity lights also have a large reflector, which gives you a lot more to work with.

Last edited:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest areas of change are in the LEDs themselves and in the optics. The Gravity lights had 20 watt LEDs - I remember a few years ago when 5 watt LEDs were a big deal. The Gravity lights also have a large reflector, which gives you a lot more to work with.

They're actually back to back 10 watt led's, nothing exotic, just a good reflector design and led layout.

KC HiLiTES

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As per Matt and the famous Hudson Hall, the HIDs on the trophy truck were aimed low, for more light at the 50yd mark. I mentioned that in the write-up, but not in the table.

That has a lot to do with why I do this - to show what you get for the money. In addition, they have to know what they want them for. Street queens - the cheap lights get the job done. Really want performance? Gonna have to pony up the bucks to get light down range.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Will first off, thank you for all you do. The time and effort is respected, and we appreciate the information you are putting out there for consumers.

I do want to clarify the Gravity Series light is (2) 10w LED's though. As @ntm mentioned the use of a quality engineered reflector with inward facing LEDs allows us to control the light output better keeping it were it needs to be.