Light canons!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've actually been SPECIFICALLY looking for a hood mount LED that was amber... and had great output. Ask James at Alternative, we discussed it at length and even 3 months ago there was NOTHING available out even out there.

Great timing.

Master Yoda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light Cannons Operational!!!!

They are seriously bright (thanks James @ A.O.). Insane throw for a 4.5" round bezel. All I have is a crappy cell phone pic for the moment. Bugs were bombarding my son and I as we adjusted them parked out on our rifle range. Freakin' horse flys even joined in the fray at 9:00 pm. They clearly lit up trees across the road from my home that were a minimum of 300 yards out. I'm thorougly impressed not only with the spot portion of the light, but the larger less bright cone that surrounds it.

The install went smoothly, but slow. All the tips I got from previous hood mount threads helped a great deal. Cudos to you guys/gals on FRF. Used a broom and aluminum tube with gorilla tape to prop the hood up. Removed the lower part of the pneumatic support arms and rotated them up and taped them to the bottom of the hood out of the way. Marked off the hinge plate locations and removed the bolts one side at a time. Thankfully my son is a big ole boy and was able to work the hood up higher so I could get the 4TT (thanks Aaron) mounts under and through the gap at the cowl. No trimming was required for these mounts. The most time consuming part was getting the bolts back in while keeping the hinge plate bottom lined up. Wiring was a breeze on these after already skinning my knuckles up on the Rigid fog bumper hole install.

I'll try in the next night or two to get the wife's digital Canon on a tripod in the bed and give you all some idea of how far out they throw the spot.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They're definitely bright down the road! Being a spot they throw the light pretty damn far and the spread isn't too bad either. But I wouldn't use these by themselves they do very well with my rigid 40" with the way I have them angles very very slightly outwards to light up the very edges of the roads so I can see any hazards that might come into the road. My rigid takes care of the center of the road but of course doesn't reach quit as far as the canons!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are seriously bright (thanks James @ A.O.). Insane throw for a 4.5" round bezel. All I have is a crappy cell phone pic for the moment. Bugs were bombarding my son and I as we adjusted them parked out on our rifle range. Freakin' horse flys even joined in the fray at 9:00 pm. They clearly lit up trees across the road from my home that were a minimum of 300 yards out. I'm thorougly impressed not only with the spot portion of the light, but the larger less bright cone that surrounds it.

The install went smoothly, but slow. All the tips I got from previous hood mount threads helped a great deal. Cudos to you guys/gals on FRF. Used a broom and aluminum tube with gorilla tape to prop the hood up. Removed the lower part of the pneumatic support arms and rotated them up and taped them to the bottom of the hood out of the way. Marked off the hinge plate locations and removed the bolts one side at a time. Thankfully my son is a big ole boy and was able to work the hood up higher so I could get the 4TT (thanks Aaron) mounts under and through the gap at the cowl. No trimming was required for these mounts. The most time consuming part was getting the bolts back in while keeping the hinge plate bottom lined up. Wiring was a breeze on these after already skinning my knuckles up on the Rigid fog bumper hole install.

I'll try in the next night or two to get the wife's digital Canon on a tripod in the bed and give you all some idea of how far out they throw the spot.

What did you think of those 4TT hood mounts? Are they stout like the Outlaw mounts? I like how they come Line-Xed...I just ordered a set on Friday.

Master Yoda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4TT Hood Mounts

I can't compare these to the other vendor's designs, as I've not "held" them in my hands, but these darned things are pretty dang robust. No one's gonna hack through these quickly. Aaron can give you specifics, but it's a heavy gauge metal, linex'd as you mentioned above, and best of all, no trimming required. It is a tight fit between the hood/cowl and the mount/light, but opened up, there's at least 1/8" between the hood and the bottom of the light cannons. Do get yourself one of those ratcheting 10mm box wrenches to tighten down the rear bolts. That was about the only tool I could find that would fit in the space. Another set of hands will make the installation go much quicker.

OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh wow that's very close! I'd rather trim a little bit of plastic off and have an inch or so of clearance just in case haha

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Hey yoda do you have any pics of the mounts before you put them on?

Master Yoda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pat, I mounted the cannons with the bases (VisionX bases, bolts) turned so I had the "most" clearance. Like I said, these mounts are a tight fit and there's no adjusting to get more clearance. Mine just "fit" perfectly. Aaron's bunch did a good job on the design/material of these.

OP
OP
pat'sRAPTOR

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I like having a little adjustability just in case! But the non trim hood mounts will be a big hit for those who are a little timid on cutting up their $52,000 trucks haha