LED replacement for 921 backup bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i got LED back up lights as well i wanna say i got them off the website thats posted in the thread about the complete LED conversion. they are definitely brighter than stock i even put LED's in the front turn signals too it looks so much better. ill snap a pick and put it up for ya guys and ill try and find the link to the site i got mine from!

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

heres the thread that lists all the bulbd you can get for LED's

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/complete-led-conversion-17781/

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

oh and the link to the website to get them is in there as well thats where i got mine from.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

heres a shot of my reverse LEDs i just put in in reverse and put the parking brake on haha its pretty freakin bright

012_zps33997b8c.jpg

013_zps12a54906.jpg

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am also interested in improved reverse lights, without installing additional lights in bumper such as Rigid leds. Don't know about Putco's but from recent thread "Back up lights" I believe Nick used -194 25 smt tower bulb- from Superlumination.com. I wrote superlumination and asked what they would recommend to give most light for the Raptor and response was...

For a back up light with a large housing and reflectors, I would look at the 921 12 watt cree:
> >
> > http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/921_12watt_w_wm.jpg
> >
> > For a back up light with a smaller housing or less reflectors, I would look at the 921 5 watt cree:
> >
> > http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/921_5watt_cree_w_wm.jpg
> >
> > Both are on this page here:
> >
> > 906 921 Interior Lights
> >
> > Either of those will be brighter in a back up light application than the 194 25 smt tower bulb.

Not having taken taillight apart, I asked what would fit in Raptor's, the answer...

The 12 watt dimensions are: 14mm diameter x 53 mm overall

The 5 watt dimensions are: 15mm diameter x 46 mm overall

The 194 smt Tower III is 11mm diameter x 38mm

The dimensions of a stock 906 bulb are:
m.o.l.: 1.49 inch (37.8MM)
l.c.l.: 0.811 inch (20.6MM)

So fitment Q not really answered. The 12W cree sounds promising but at $25 each, I want sure these fit before ordering. They are 15mm longer than the 194 Tower. Just by eyeballing the current bulb in the housing, it looks like the 12Wcree would be a tight fit. The pics above from Patsraptor looks to throw out way more light than stock. Didn't think replacing a bulb would be this involved. Trying to decide which way to go....

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its extremely easy to replace this bulb just drop the tailgate and remove the 2 or 3 screw i holding the housing on and pull the housing out youll see where the plug goes into the back up light just turn it a quarter turn and pull it out replace the bulb and there you have it. the housing is pretty big the only thing you have to make sure is the opening the light goes into if its too big the light wont go back into the housing! you can take the old one out and look at it to make sure you get find the right size LED.

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^
Agree, very easy to replace oem bulb. I don't want to order a cree 12W that's approx 5/8" longer than stock bulb and not be able to return if it hits reflector/plastic. Probably will just have to take out oem and measure. Was wanting to take the path least resistance, and hoping someone knew.Also, wanted to throw a couple of other options out there for member's consideration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got some OEM backup bulbs somewhere in the garage. If I can find them, I'll measure and post.

But that's only going to tell half of the story. The other half is how much depth there is inside the taillight assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter