KO2’s Falling Apart :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run a bunch of different tires, the KO2s that came stock were the worst, poor traction, punctured easily and worse mileage than a MT tire.
I live in Central Oregon, home of the high desert with more than the continents fair share of basalt lava rock, with a great combination of hard and sharp, high heat in the summer and freezing-snow in the winters. With tire tread compound, just like with my dirt bikes, you want a softer compound tire, as harder compound tires will chunk just like see in your KO2s. The softer compound will adhere better to rock with less slippage and conform to the irregular and sharp points. Usually the trade off is mileage, as on pavement they will wear down faster.

I have run 3 sets of BFG KM and one set of KM2s (the KM3s are only slightly different tread siping than KM2s) and really like them. Also, really like the TOYO MTs, which I have as my winter tires on my 2018 SCREW, along with a recent set of General Grabber X3 mud tires, they are working great. I have run Maxxis Big Horns, they are a bit harder compound and don't grab the rock as good. I had a couple of pair of Goodyear MTRs and liked them, but in 35s they now only offer them in 8 ply or 6 ply.
I always run 10 ply, as the ply rating is on the tread, not the sidewall-most MTs are 3 ply sidewalls and ATs are usually 2 ply sidewalls. I actually punctured the stock KO2s right through the middle of the tread when they were nearly new on a rock road (like a 3"-minus gravel road). So, once they got close I got rid of the KO2s.

Good luck.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not relevant
But few years back running thru the Nevada desert 110’ ran into several patches of rain. Between the hot desert sand and now rained on cooler spots
A front and a rear tire had tread separation and resulting big bubbles.
limped home ba boomp ba boomp
Desert is a cruel Witch
No matter how you prepare

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I have run a bunch of different tires, the KO2s that came stock were the worst, poor traction, punctured easily and worse mileage than a MT tire.
I live in Central Oregon, home of the high desert with more than the continents fair share of basalt lava rock, with a great combination of hard and sharp, high heat in the summer and freezing-snow in the winters. With tire tread compound, just like with my dirt bikes, you want a softer compound tire, as harder compound tires will chunk just like see in your KO2s. The softer compound will adhere better to rock with less slippage and conform to the irregular and sharp points. Usually the trade off is mileage, as on pavement they will wear down faster.

I have run 3 sets of BFG KM and one set of KM2s (the KM3s are only slightly different tread siping than KM2s) and really like them. Also, really like the TOYO MTs, which I have as my winter tires on my 2018 SCREW, along with a recent set of General Grabber X3 mud tires, they are working great. I have run Maxxis Big Horns, they are a bit harder compound and don't grab the rock as good. I had a couple of pair of Goodyear MTRs and liked them, but in 35s they now only offer them in 8 ply or 6 ply.
I always run 10 ply, as the ply rating is on the tread, not the sidewall-most MTs are 3 ply sidewalls and ATs are usually 2 ply sidewalls. I actually punctured the stock KO2s right through the middle of the tread when they were nearly new on a rock road (like a 3"-minus gravel road). So, once they got close I got rid of the KO2s.

Good luck.
Great info, thank you Sir. I’m probably going to the KM3’s I had them on my Gen1 prior to getting my Gen-2 and was very pleased with the results. I would like to try something different but I’ve run BFG’s for 30+ years snd they have never failed me off-road ( except that time I left the road at 60mph airborne into a cactus in the Grand Canyon, John-0, Cactus +1)
Bottom line, it was just a nasty trail.. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Not relevant
But few years back running thru the Nevada desert 110’ ran into several patches of rain. Between the hot desert sand and now rained on cooler spots
A front and a rear tire had tread separation and resulting big bubbles.
limped home ba boomp ba boomp
Desert is a cruel Witch
No matter how you prepare
So True, she can be the cruelest of the environments. Overall just punishing on the Truck. I’m just going to “EMBRACE THE SUCK” break open the wallet for some new rubber and be Thankful that I’m living in Raptor Heaven Country…..

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened Off-Roading yesterday, but if you want it moved to tires…
The Volcanic Rock ate my tires for lunch yesterday. I’ve always run BFG’s and I love them, but they were load range E. Does that really make that much difference? In their defense, I was 2 FNING Lazy to air down like I should have, I was running about 37 all around. I had never run these trails before and by the time I’m into them it’s 113 No Shade so I just said F it and paid the price. Stupidity is EXPENSIVE!
I was planning on going to the BFG KM3 MT. that I was running on my 2010 but I’m open to suggestions from anyone that has good luck with another tire. Road noise is irrelevant since I’m partially deaf anyway (Guns, Airplanes, Motorcycles, 90mm Recoilless w/foam ear plugs :biggun:)
My load range E’s would chunk some but nothing like this.
I was in 4Lo Rock/Crawl, not spinning them, yet they fell apart:(
I was looking at the Goodyear MTR Kevlar, but is that any better than the KM3?
The Toyo Open Country MT looks interesting too.
Any experience you have had with one your sold on, would be greatly appreciated.
Im asking a lot of the tire, Good road manners but able to handle rock, sand. I’m in the desert several times a week but then we will hook up the Winnebago and take a 3k mile road trip. Does such a tire exist?
Ok. lets put this into perspective here.

it's 113F outside.....
your crawling on volcanic rock .....
running E rated tires .....
Did not air down.......

...... and you're complaining about tire wear.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
that time I left the road at 60mph airborne into a cactus in the Grand Canyon, John-0, Cactus +1
Dude? you can’t just post this kind of clickbait and not have some pics. PICS MAN! :)
At least you have a cool one liner about it now.

it's 113F outside.....
Did not air down.......

He took responsibility.
Not like he’s a prius owner whining about starbucks being too cold.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it's 113F outside.....
Did not air down.......

I think the gist of his post was to solicit more info on tires that could be better suited for him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter