GEN 2 JDM Engineering NEW Tune on the market!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JDM Engineering https://www.teamjdm.com/ just released their new tunes for the Gen 2 Raptor! I was able to get an early release of this tune and I now have 250 miles on it and can offer some feedback.

First, my truck is a 2017 801a, AFE intake, SPD turbo adapters, Motorcraft plugs, the external BOV mod, and I run 93 octane fuel. Tires are 35" Wrangle Duratracs.

I initially had a bit of trouble flashing the tune using the SCT X4 device, but that is only due to the X4 device being particularly sensitive to battery voltage, which is really a good thing as it protects the ecu from getting bricked due to a failed flash. Simply putting the truck on a trickle charger while I flashed solved the problem. JDM had great support helping me get it all to work!

I have run the truck stock of course, but also on a 93 race tune from 5 star. My initial impression is that this is MUCH smoother. The stock trans tuning can be a bit harsh, especially since I have an early model 2017. The 5 star tune also was pretty harsh, harsher than stock. The JDM tune is very smooth through the gears, to the point where off throttle gear changes are nearly transparent. Also, the gear selection is terrific, the gear choice throughout the RPM range and varying loads is spot on. I live in a very hilly area with 45-55mph speed limits and it can be very annoying (especially in stock tune) for the truck to lug down too much before it has to downshift multiple gears to make it up a hill, it makes it feel like the truck is struggling. Proper shifting lets it kick down a gear quicker and go up hills with ease like it should.

The tune also feels like it makes great power. This part can be a bit tricky as peaky power and harsh shifting can feel faster, where real smooth linear power can be deceiving. I haven't done any logging, but by my analog boost gauge it looks like I'm peaking out around 22 psi on flat ground in normal mode. Low end is mellow and less nervous than the 5 star, but it still has all the punch up top. The trans tuning seems to keep the RPM's close to a better RPM for torque and it really shows when you stab the throttle. I played around in sport a little bit and the boost is very responsive, it doesn't take much pedal and the truck starts to pull very hard.

One surprise would be fuel mileage. It can be tough to judge accurately with varying terrain where I live, but I was seeing around 13.5-14.5 MPG before, and I'm seeing 16+, a solid 2 MPG gain so far!!!

I really find this to be a very POLISHED tune, I believe the JDM guys really put in the work to come up with a winner. I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with the results! I plan to keep this tune on and not revert back to the 5 star.

Ill update more after some more miles!

discowagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it just a one time Off The Shelf flash or was there datalogging and revisions involved?

muhockey2003

Reaction score
JDM Engineering https://www.teamjdm.com/ just released their new tunes for the Gen 2 Raptor! I was able to get an early release of this tune and I now have 250 miles on it and can offer some feedback.

First, my truck is a 2017 801a, AFE intake, SPD turbo adapters, Motorcraft plugs, the external BOV mod, and I run 93 octane fuel. Tires are 35" Wrangle Duratracs.

I initially had a bit of trouble flashing the tune using the SCT X4 device, but that is only due to the X4 device being particularly sensitive to battery voltage, which is really a good thing as it protects the ecu from getting bricked due to a failed flash. Simply putting the truck on a trickle charger while I flashed solved the problem. JDM had great support helping me get it all to work!

I have run the truck stock of course, but also on a 93 race tune from 5 star. My initial impression is that this is MUCH smoother. The stock trans tuning can be a bit harsh, especially since I have an early model 2017. The 5 star tune also was pretty harsh, harsher than stock. The JDM tune is very smooth through the gears, to the point where off throttle gear changes are nearly transparent. Also, the gear selection is terrific, the gear choice throughout the RPM range and varying loads is spot on. I live in a very hilly area with 45-55mph speed limits and it can be very annoying (especially in stock tune) for the truck to lug down too much before it has to downshift multiple gears to make it up a hill, it makes it feel like the truck is struggling. Proper shifting lets it kick down a gear quicker and go up hills with ease like it should.

The tune also feels like it makes great power. This part can be a bit tricky as peaky power and harsh shifting can feel faster, where real smooth linear power can be deceiving. I haven't done any logging, but by my analog boost gauge it looks like I'm peaking out around 22 psi on flat ground in normal mode. Low end is mellow and less nervous than the 5 star, but it still has all the punch up top. The trans tuning seems to keep the RPM's close to a better RPM for torque and it really shows when you stab the throttle. I played around in sport a little bit and the boost is very responsive, it doesn't take much pedal and the truck starts to pull very hard.

One surprise would be fuel mileage. It can be tough to judge accurately with varying terrain where I live, but I was seeing around 13.5-14.5 MPG before, and I'm seeing 16+, a solid 2 MPG gain so far!!!

I really find this to be a very POLISHED tune, I believe the JDM guys really put in the work to come up with a winner. I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with the results! I plan to keep this tune on and not revert back to the 5 star.

Ill update more after some more miles!

I had my 2018 Ford Raptor tuned by JDM...they are the best!!!

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was an off the shelf flash made by them, no data logging and revisions involved.

When we do a tune for a Gen 2 raptor, it is a custom case by case basis based on the years of R&D spent on these trucks prior. Although 2017+ Raptors are all 3.5's and 10r80's, the transmission and engine management can somewhat vary by year adding complexity to the mix. We have a firm grasp on all Ecoboost Raptor strategies 2017 to present.

A 2017 Raptor like James' may require a little more information from the SCT Device due to added complexity, but the end result is a world apart from stock, and the vehicle drives like it should have from the factory.

I had my 2018 Ford Raptor tuned by JDM...they are the best!!!

Thanks!!! Hope you are loving it!!!

UncleBruce

Reaction score
I have a stock '18. Love almost everything about it but manual mode. 10 speeds to shift through is too many for me. It would be much more pleasant to only have a 5 speed. Say 1-3-5-7-9. Driving through the rolling hills of Kentucky with those gears would be almost as much fun as a stick. Anyone out there agree? Could JDM provide a "tune" to do this, or must Ford take the responsibility.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock '18. Love almost everything about it but manual mode. 10 speeds to shift through is too many for me. It would be much more pleasant to only have a 5 speed. Say 1-3-5-7-9. Driving through the rolling hills of Kentucky with those gears would be almost as much fun as a stick. Anyone out there agree? Could JDM provide a "tune" to do this, or must Ford take the responsibility.

So... to lock the transmission to skip shifts as noted could probably be done, how I would not think it to behave as intended for a few reasons.

The way the 10r80 is designed each gear change in numerical order is a single clutch being applied and released. At wide open throttle, no more than 2 actions are being performed per shift. Any deviation from this can make the shift operation far more complex and require alot more R&D. I have to look at the clutch schedules to see how the transmission would have to work to accomplish the desired shift pattern.

Although the 10r80 at wide open throttle shifts alot, more gears shifting faster provide greater average power at the tire and more time higher up in the powerband.

As for fun factor, I think you are 100% on to something here, but the execution has alot of variables to be tested.