iPhone 5 sync update needed ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HFord57

Reaction score
iPhone5 & Ford Sync

Here are some hints on using the new iPhone 5 with your Sync-equipped Ford Raptor or F-Series. Just wanted everyone to know that you have to do a "clean pairing." Delete your old iPhone (or whatever you had) from the BT device list on your truck's Phone Menu. See my website for more instructions on this. Then go to the truck's Phone Menu, Add Bluetooth Device (or Add Phone). Push OK to begin pairing and the Sync system will display a 6-digit PIN number. Go to your iPhone, to the Settings folder, select General, select Bluetooth, be sure to turn Bluetooth ON. The phone will begin searching for Sync and in a few seconds it will display a bar with the word "Sync" on it. Touch the bar and in a moment a second screen will appear. Enter the 6-digit PIN from the Sync system. Push the blue "Pair" button on your phone. In a few moments Sync will begin speaking. Be sure to push OK to active 911 Assist. Push )K to make your phone the Primary Phone. Download Phone Book? push OK, then push OK to begin Downloading the phone book. This will take a few moments and then it should all be finished. There is NOT a Sync update at this point. None is needed. Apple still does not use the MAP protocol for the Ford Sync voice-to-text messaging. However, push the "Home" button on your iPhone 5 and in a couple of seconds you will hear "Siri" speak over the truck speakers. Then just say "Read Text Messages." She will read unread messages to you. Ask her to "Send Text Messages" and she will begin asking a series of questions to assist you. When you are finished with Siri, just push and hold down the "Phone" icon on your steering wheel for about five seconds. The dash screen will display call ended and Siri will be closed down until you need her again.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird that you guys are getting txt to work... My iPhone 5 pairs up fine, but if you go to text messaging and try to download or send texts it simply tells me there is a failure.

I was all happy that I didn't get the old un-supported error message, but then disappointed when it didn't work.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some hints on using the new iPhone 5 with your Sync-equipped Ford Raptor or F-Series. Just wanted everyone to know that you have to do a "clean pairing." Delete your old iPhone (or whatever you had) from the BT device list on your truck's Phone Menu. See my website for more instructions on this. Then go to the truck's Phone Menu, Add Bluetooth Device (or Add Phone). Push OK to begin pairing and the Sync system will display a 6-digit PIN number. Go to your iPhone, to the Settings folder, select General, select Bluetooth, be sure to turn Bluetooth ON. The phone will begin searching for Sync and in a few seconds it will display a bar with the word "Sync" on it. Touch the bar and in a moment a second screen will appear. Enter the 6-digit PIN from the Sync system. Push the blue "Pair" button on your phone. In a few moments Sync will begin speaking. Be sure to push OK to active 911 Assist. Push )K to make your phone the Primary Phone. Download Phone Book? push OK, then push OK to begin Downloading the phone book. This will take a few moments and then it should all be finished. There is NOT a Sync update at this point. None is needed. Apple still does not use the MAP protocol for the Ford Sync voice-to-text messaging. However, push the "Home" button on your iPhone 5 and in a couple of seconds you will hear "Siri" speak over the truck speakers. Then just say "Read Text Messages." She will read unread messages to you. Ask her to "Send Text Messages" and she will begin asking a series of questions to assist you. When you are finished with Siri, just push and hold down the "Phone" icon on your steering wheel for about five seconds. The dash screen will display call ended and Siri will be closed down until you need her again.

Most of that info is correct, but the iPhone 4 (possible 3GS) and up support MAP, which is what texting through sync uses. Here is a generic post on Sync and iPhones:
Ford Sync - iOS 6 BT MAP Profile - How Too

Basically, you have to upgrade to iOS 6, which is the latest and was just released as a final version recently.

You have to turn on MAP on the Sync stereo. I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not sure if its necessary, but on my Android phone I had to enable MAP on the phone as well. It must be enabled on both the stereo and the phone prior to pairing. HFord57 is correct that a clean pairing is necessary after it doesn't work. You can't just turn the settings on. Check out my post regarding my Android and it might help:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/android-phones-texting-over-sync-4702/index2.html#post220781

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Weird that you guys are getting txt to work... My iPhone 5 pairs up fine, but if you go to text messaging and try to download or send texts it simply tells me there is a failure.

I was all happy that I didn't get the old un-supported error message, but then disappointed when it didn't work.

Did you turn on MAP in the stereo? It comes off by default.

My Android phone didn't work the first couple times I paired it. I had to delete it and re-add it. I had the phone search for the stereo and the stereo search for the phone. They both paired up fine, but text messaging didn't work. I didn't do anything different, but on the second or third time pairing it worked. Maybe it was having the stereo search for the phone that did it.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to delete and double check everything again this evening. I have a 2012 and though MAP was turned on already.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

So I have now deleted the BT profiles on both my iPhone 5 and the truck... I did a search from the phone and added back the Sync system. Set it as my favorite, and have MAP turned on along with txt message notification turned on within Sync.

This doesn't give me any option under my phone other than Sync Contacts... When I go to text messaging on the truck it says it will send one, but nothing happens. When I try to download messages, it errors out.

Thoughts?

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what else to try. I know they both officially support each other, but I don't know about practically.

I'll try and get my wife's iPhone 4s updated and connected to my truck to night to see if I can figure it out.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rereading HFord's post above, I'm wondering if it is actually fully compatible. What he is saying on his website is simply using Siri to read and compose the text messages, not Sync.

Has anyone with iOS6 actually composed and received a txt message with notification through Sync? The user on the first page stated he sent a text message, but I can do that as well and it says it performed the operation successfully, but in all actuality it isn't sending anything.

Raptor108

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iPhone 5 sync

Since the iPhone 5 is a new phone, you must re-sync even if you had a 4S and did the full restore from your 4S. Follow the steps in the manual. I synced the 5 without difficulty.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since the iPhone 5 is a new phone, you must re-sync even if you had a 4S and did the full restore from your 4S. Follow the steps in the manual. I synced the 5 without difficulty.

yeah but does your text messages pop up on your trucks navi screen i followed your instructions word for word an step by step an its still showing nothing on the screen when i receive a text it only plays the tone wich it always did from the start

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but does your text messages pop up on your trucks navi screen i followed your instructions word for word an step by step an its still showing nothing on the screen when i receive a text it only plays the tone wich it always did from the start

At least you get a tone! I don't even get that. Once my phone is paired up, unless I am streaming BT audio, I don't even get a tone. The phone just goes off silently, unless I feel it vibrate I won't know I got a text until I get out of the truck again or pick it up.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At least you get a tone! I don't even get that. Once my phone is paired up, unless I am streaming BT audio, I don't even get a tone. The phone just goes off silently, unless I feel it vibrate I won't know I got a text until I get out of the truck again or pick it up.

nope im wrong :lol2: yeah unless im in bt audio i dont get crap same as always wow this sucks a lot