Interior Passenger Rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have some rattles that are high-pitched coming from the dash in front of the passenger seat, specifically by the 110v outlet and the swing-open storage door. and the dash cushion on top. The dealer tried to fix it but made it worse now. I also have a knocking/thumping sound coming from either the windshield/handle or the door pillar area. Are there any known issues like this or TSB's that I should be looking into? Any advice on how to track these down? I hate hitting bumps in the road listening to it.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know off the top of my head any TSBs or anything similar related to interior rattles. That being said, I am very sensitive to rattles and they drive me INSANE. I will usually go with the tried and true method of start smacking things looking for a rattle, then taking off the component and shimming it with a bit of tape or in extreme cases some dynamat to stop the rattle.

One of these days I'm gonna just rip the interior out and dynamat the whole cab.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know off the top of my head any TSBs or anything similar related to interior rattles. That being said, I am very sensitive to rattles and they drive me INSANE. I will usually go with the tried and true method of start smacking things looking for a rattle, then taking off the component and shimming it with a bit of tape or in extreme cases some dynamat to stop the rattle.

One of these days I'm gonna just rip the interior out and dynamat the whole cab.
Ughhh this is killing me to hear that constant rattling from inside the dash. Makes the truck sound so cheap and plastic.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Have someone else drive with you in the passenger seat. Grab a stethoscope and try to narrow down a specific location. All of the trim pieces come off fairly easily with a trim tool. Take pieces off until it goes away or you locate something behind that is causing the rattle. Address the identified pieces with 3m friction tape. It is not a hard process if you are motivated to do it yourself. Or, just let the dealership f around with your truck and give it back to you in worse shape. Sometimes you just have to take the ball and run with it.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

:happy175: It SUCKS to be like that! On my V70R wagon in search of a rattle, I completely pulled everything apart from the rear seat back, EVERYTHING! I still couldn't find it. Since the rear was now totally naked, I finally drove it with the rear hatch open to see if it would help find it and the rattle was gone. It was the driver's side top bushing on the rear liftgate support. It only took a few minutes to fix, but about 8 hours to find it. The noise would radiate all over the back. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My girlfriend at the time kept telling me to just turn the stereo up. I felt like bitch slapping her every time she said it. :hat: I can't tolerate rattles at all.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175: It SUCKS to be like that! On my V70R wagon in search of a rattle, I completely pulled everything apart from the rear seat back, EVERYTHING! I still couldn't find it. Since the rear was now totally naked, I finally drove it with the rear hatch open to see if it would help find it and the rattle was gone. It was the driver's side top bushing on the rear liftgate support. It only took a few minutes to fix, but about 8 hours to find it. The noise would radiate all over the back. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

My girlfriend at the time kept telling me to just turn the stereo up. I felt like bitch slapping her every time she said it. :hat: I can't tolerate rattles at all.
When I had my Gen 1, the trim piece above the gauge cluster had a slight rattle when it was hot. it took me WEEKS to find.

im pretty sure all those folded note cards I used to shim it are still there, wherever that truck ended up.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and stories. My GF said she doesn't even notice it, and she's sitting right next to it but I hear it every time. Temperature def causes it to be louder. Really hot and very cold days its the worst.

Does anyone have any instructions or video of how the trim pieces come apart in that area? I'd like to take it apart but not break anything. I do have a trim removal tool set.