Ignition dinger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol holy shit thats funny.

I believe its behind the knee bolster, towards the right top corner. I'll look and see If I can figure anything out.

Hook us up Pirate.... See if you can find a solution!!

Otherwise we're sending Madcow to your house with a roll of tape and THAT look in his eye.....

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAH!! No need Madcow! Found it. Took a few things apart in my truck and the speaker is integrated into the back of the instrument cluster. You should be able to stuff some foam (or something) in it to quite it down, but I will need to look into it more to see if it can actually be disabled. I will charge my camera and take some pics when I get home.

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pirate! Looking forward to reading more about your findings. Muting/deadening the sound a bit would still be a satisfactory solution to me if there isn't an easy way to totally disable it.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so its easy enough to get to, but I had poor results muffling the sound with random things I had laying around my house/garage. I tried dense foam, not so dense foam, plastic, an old cut up sock (lol), and paper towel. The Paper towel had the best results muffling the sound by maybe 10%. So I'm up for ideas in terms of different materials, and I'm also going to give it some more thought on what could be done on the electrical side. But this speaker is also what emits the audible "click" for the turn signals, so whatever is done will affect the turn signal "click".

For anyone up to the challange,

To access the speaker you need a ratchet/driver, 7 and 8 millimeter socket and an extension at least 4 inches long. A flash light and a telescoping magnet pen also helps but not necessary. There are a total of 6 screws that must come out using the 7mm socket. The rest is held together with plastic fasteners that come apart by hand/force. Before starting this it's a good idea to disconnect the battery (8mm socket), so when the cluster is disconnected/reconnected electrically, there won't be any surprise smoke shows. It's very unlikely to happen, but better safe then sorry.

First tilt the steering wheel all the way down to help ease both the bezel and cluster out. Two screws attach the bezel to the dash. They are located at the top of the bezel and point upwards.

123.jpg

Once the screws are removed, grasp the lower corners of the bezel and gently tug untill the clips release. There are several clips lining the bezel, so just work your fingers around untill the whole thing is free. Getting the bezel past the steering wheel takes a little creative wiggling.
124.jpg

Once the bezel is removed, 4 screws hold the cluster to the dash. Two up top and two (one at each corner) on the bottom. This is where the extension comes in. The telescoping magnet and flash light helps here to retrieve the loose screws. (The screws in all these pictures are already removed)

120.jpg
122.jpg
There is only one connector that must be un-done. There is one tab in the center of the connector that must be pressed in order for the connector to release. Once the screws and connector are removed, more creative wiggling must be done to get the cluster past the steering wheel. Start by slidding the bottom of the cluster down and out, rolling it out towards you.
126.jpg

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolling the cluster out.

125.jpg

The little noise maker!!

127.jpg

Unfortunately, my camera died before I could take pictures of my creative stuffing, but I'm sure everyone gets the idea of what was done. The little plastic bar that spans the hole doesn't help when stuffing, but does help hold it in there. I think some of the sound reflects inside the cluster, so the creativeness might need to go up a notch.

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, put Pirate on a mission and he starts disassembling his truck for you!
Thanks Bro, i'll be watching... thread subscribed.

I have a suggestion Pirate, maybe you already tried this in the different foams you mentioned, but what about putting some HushMat or DynaMat like they use in car audio shops back there?? I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I think it might work.