Ideas for mounting a headache rack? Magnum HollowPoint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to install a headache rack on my Raptor's headboard, and I'm wondering if any of you have done it and how you mounted it, since our trucks don't have stake pockets, and the ones that appear to be under the plastic cladding are rather far forward for stake pocket mounting? Is clamp-on a viable option? I don't mind drilling holes because I can always put new plastic cladding on if/when I take the rack off, but I guess you'd have to install threaded insert RivetNuts cuz the F150 design doesn't give you access to much underside of the bed rail? Pics would be great if you have them...

Installing the Magnum brand rack in this pic, but mine's a HollowPoint, meaning it's totally open except for the bottom cross bar. Magnum is no help. They told me I can't install it on my Raptor, yet on their site they have this pic of one installed on a G1 :rolleyes: . Can't be done?? I never liked the word 'can't'....

Raptor with magnum-truck-rack-with-tonneau-cover.jpg

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to install a headache rack on my Raptor's headboard, and I'm wondering if any of you have done it and how you mounted it, since our trucks don't have stake pockets, and the ones that appear to be under the plastic cladding are rather far forward for stake pocket mounting? Is clamp-on a viable option? I don't mind drilling holes because I can always put new plastic cladding on if/when I take the rack off, but I guess you'd have to install threaded insert RivetNuts cuz the F150 design doesn't give you access to much underside of the bed rail? Pics would be great if you have them...

Installing the Magnum brand rack in this pic, but mine's a HollowPoint, meaning it's totally open except for the bottom cross bar. Magnum is no help. They told me I can't install it on my Raptor, yet on their site they have this pic of one installed on a G1 :rolleyes: . Can't be done?? I never liked the word 'can't'....

View attachment 426645

Sorry no help, but not only is it on a rap but its also from a dealership up here LOL. Now if i ever see that specific truck id ask them. I also wouldn’t hold your breath cause who knows how old that pic is and if its still around lol

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I drilled through the bed and installed one on my OBS. Used grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. Also installed a truck box at the same time. The Raptor bed is aluminum so make sure to add a doubler on the backside to distribute the weight.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drilled through the bed and installed one on my OBS. Used grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. Also installed a truck box at the same time. The Raptor bed is aluminum so make sure to add a doubler on the backside to distribute the weight.
Sorry to correct you but the Gen1s have a steel bed.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

View attachment 426645

You'll want to use something like this:

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you drill it near the edge so that you could put a nut on it from the underside? I was thinkin' I need to set a RivetNut in there, cuz mounting near the middle of the rail?

My 2014 G1 bedsides, fenders, everything is magnetic, so steel. Factory front fenders and hood are not magnetic. Just checked.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But........why???

There's got to be more to this story...
Right now I've got two trucks. An old LB7 Duramax GMC as my work truck and the G1 Raptor. Gotta sell the D-max and put the Magnum rack on my Raptor so I can carry a 28' ladder for work occasionally. Unfortunate reality....

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want to use something like this:

Those are nice lookin' racks with long mounting surfaces, but I've already got this super light-weight aluminum Magnum rack I'm taking off my GMC. Gotta use it. I really like it too, cuz it's got an extruded channel around the perimeter that's really handy, I've mounted quick release cargo guides and a nylon block to protect the powder coat. I'd highly recommend the Magnum if they have one for you application....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter